Chapter 4

Time's Up!

 

 

The next day, everything was back to normal again. Or seemed like it. Hyesung and Junjin went to work together with Hyesung drove and they conversed casually just like they always do. Hyesung noticed how Junjin a bit pouted and eyed him in displeased from time to time though, but he pretended not to see it. Junjin was always like that, he thought, his dongsaeng became overly touchy whenever Hyesung scolds him. But Hyesung knew, Junjin would get better in a few hours. All he needed to do was waiting.

 

When they reached their office building, Hyesung braced himself for his newly morning ritual – being greeted by Eric near the elevator. But this morning, he braced himself for nothing. After three days in a row being greeted by Eric without fail, this morning he had to meet disappointment. Because when he headed to the elevator, he couldn’t see any tall figure of Eric. Hyesung subconsciously looked around and half-hoped to see Eric ran to him, even though he felt ashamed of himself by doing that.

 

But no Eric was waiting for him today.

 

“Hmmm.. why Eric Hyung isn’t here?” Junjin asked to himself before checked at his watch. Hyesung snorted shortly but said nothing. Junjin completely crossed to the other side, he thought. Why he had to worry about Eric’s whereabouts anyway? (Hyesung wouldn’t ever – EVER! – admit that just ten seconds ago he actually looked for Eric just like Junjin did. He would never admit it even though he’s under the murder threat.)

 

And then as he stepped in the elevator and let Junjin pressed their office’s floor button, he couldn’t stop his mind to wonder why Eric wasn’t here by now. He felt utterly conceited thinking about it though, to the level he could strangle himself. Who the hell is he, anyway? To think that Eric should wait for him every day? And find it odd when he doesn’t?

 

Hyesung took a deep breath and tried to chase away that cocky thought from his head, when suddenly bright thought came to his mind. Wait a minute, why should I feel bitter about Eric didn’t wait for me? Hyesung thought. If Eric stopped waiting for him, it was good news, right? It means Eric would not bother him anymore. Finally! Eric gave up! He had to bite his inner cheeks to restrain a smile formed. With Eric’s leaving, it means no more awkward and embarrassing conversation to go through. And no more silly ordeal about promise of getting married.

 

Assa!

 

No Eric means no more trouble!

 

Hyesung was actually humming a happy tune when he stepped out the elevator and walked to his office. He wasn’t sure what made Eric gives up, but it didn’t matter for him. What really mattered was the fact that from now on, he was free. Hyesung wasn’t expecting that Eric would change his mind very suddenly like this, honestly. Only yesterday, Eric and his little talk were able to make Junjin crossed to the other line. And this morning he already gave up?

 

Hyesung was right in the end. Eric was no different from any other man he ever knew. Even though Eric said that he would stay, now he did the opposite. Hyesung considered himself lucky to not getting attached to Eric before he left. Never in his life before, had he felt so happy when someone left him like this.

 

So Hyesung was a bit startled to see Eric standing at the far corner when he entered the cafeteria that noon. Hyesung could not mistake that tall figure even though now Eric’s face was covered with white mask. Eric wore his usual apron and headband, but today he wasn’t standing at his usual spot and serving the side dish. Instead, he did the cleaning job. Taking the dirty plates and empty glasses and cleaned the table.

 

Hyesung took a tray with him and walked slowly along the food counter while observing the man. Now Eric turned his back to Hyesung’s direction, so he wasn’t aware that he was being scrutinized. Hyesung could see how Eric carefully wiped one table with a rug on his hand. And Hyesung also noticed the fact that he wasn’t the only one who was staring at Eric. More than half of females inside the cafeteria were also looking intently at the man. It was rather intimidating, how even though Eric’s face was covered behind the mask, but he could look so damn good nevertheless.

 

Hyesung turned his head away and began filling his tray with rice and side dishes. He heard Junjin lightly chuckled beside him. And when he eyed his effervescent dongsaeng, Junjin only smiled wider and said, “My lunch is finally free from hostage.” Hyesung couldn’t help but chuckled with him.

 

When they were done taking their lunch, they headed to the first vacant table in sight. Hyesung noticed that Eric was already gone – perhaps he went to the kitchen with all the dirty plates. But less a second after he took his seat, one familiar voice called out his name.

 

“Hyesung-ah.”

 

And that moment, Hyesung learned something about Eric. Do not go easy on Eric. Because right when you think that you beat him, he would turn and sneak up on you before ambush you while you’re still in shocked state.

 

Eric approached Hyesung and Junjin’s table while bringing one tray on his hand. Hyesung couldn’t tell if he was smiling or not behind the mask, but from the muffled voice he just heard, it was very likely that Eric was in his usual bubbly mood.

 

“Did you get your lunch?” Eric asked even though he could see Hyesung’s full plate from where he was standing.

 

“Uh huh.”

 

“Very good then. I have a slight flu right now, so they can’t let me handle the food.” Eric explained rather apologetic even though nobody asked him.

 

“If you were sick, you should take a rest.” Hyesung said before he could stop himself.

 

“I might lose the job if I take a day off only after work for three days.” Eric chuckled. “And I can’t see you if I don’t go to work.”

 

“Oh.. “ Hyesung couldn’t find anything else to respond Eric’s last sentence.

 

Eric continued happily despite of short reply from Hyesung. “At first, I wanted to greet you like usual, but then I afraid I would infect you with my flu, so I canceled it. You aren’t mad, are you? But now, I already took the medicine and I make sure to wear the mask all the time, so you don’t need to worry I infect you with the virus.” Eric chirped easily.

 

Hyesung sensed his jaw dropped because of Eric’s explanation. So Eric didn’t greet him this morning because he was afraid of the possibility Hyesung might get infected with his flu?

 

Eric surely has a very interesting personality!

 

“Oh, I almost forgot. Hyesung-ah, this is orange juice for you.” Eric said gleefully while putting one tall glass of orange juice near Hyesung’s plate. “Don’t worry about being contaminated by the flu, I carefully covered the glass and wear my mask all the time.” Eric pointed at the tight wrap around the glass.

 

“I didn’t order this.” Hyesung muttered rather unsure.

 

“Eeii.. Don’t worry about that simple matter.” Eric then giggled. “It’s on me. Since I can’t serve you the side dishes today.”

 

“But – “

 

“Then where’s mine?” Junjin butted in the conversation. Oh right, Junjin. Hyesung almost forgot about Junjin since Eric came approaching him.

 

Eric glanced at Junjin, he then squinting both of his eyes as if calculating the anticipating yet innocently expecting expression of Junjin. Sensing that he found nothing harmful by giving the younger man one free orange juice, Eric then sighed lowly before said to Junjin, “Wait here.” 

 

Junjin chuckled happily when Eric turned away and went back to the counter. “That was easy. And yet, they say there’s no such a thing called free lunch.” Junjin whispered slowly to Hyesung before started chuckling again. “Well, definitely there will be free orange juice for me today.”

 

“Don’t do that again.” Hyesung said viciously and successfully made his dongsaeng halted his chuckles.

 

“But Hyung,” Junjin spontaneously pouted. Only inside his head, he spoke his protest. How Hyesung Hyung could scold me from taking free juice from Eric Hyung, while he himself was leisurely taking all the food from him? Junjin pouted more when he realized that he was being a victim of his evil hyung’s double standard.

 

Eric went back with a glass of orange juice in his hand and placed it in front of Junjin.

 

“Thank you~~” Junjin said in sweetest tone he could manage and smiled widely like a child. Eric only shrugged his shoulders, as if it wasn’t a very big deal for him.

 

He shifted his focus to Hyesung again and asked, “Anything else you need?”

 

“I’m fine.” Hyesung answered quickly and nodded firmly to make his point.

 

“Alright. Enjoy your lunch, Hyesung-ah. If you need anything, just let me now.” Eric said before turned and left the still-astonished Hyesung.

 

“Whoever marries Eric Hyung is a very lucky person.” Junjin mumbled absentmindedly before sipped his fresh orange juice.

 

“Shut up, Jin-ah.”

 

“That person will be spoiled and pampered every day, I envy that person already.” Junjin continued to speak but looked away from his hyung’s glare.

 

“Oh, shut up.” Hyesung felt his cheeks grew warmer.

 

Junjin then eyed his hyung who started unwrapping of the many layers of cling wrap around his orange juice’s glass. “Tell me the truth, Hyung. Do you really and certainly forget about Eric Hyung? I mean, you don’t remember him even a little bit?” Junjin didn’t know where he got the courage to corner his hyung like that.

 

Hyesung’s motion stopped for a second before he sighed lowly. Then he shook his head weakly. “Recently I think I remember him, but I’m not sure if it’s really a memory or my brain just makes up things.” Hyesung mumbled. And it was the truth, sometimes he thought he had remembered one skinny tall boy who used to play with him. But at the same time he couldn’t be sure that the boy back then was the same Eric.

 

“Well, if I think about it myself, I also don’t remember clearly about my friends from my elementary school days. Their faces would definitely changed by now and I don’t remember all their names.” Junjin agreed with his hyung. “So how on earth Eric Hyung still remembers you after all this years?”

 

Hyesung wanted to answer that, but right after he opened his mouth to do it, he realized that he didn’t have the answer. He didn’t know why and how Eric still remembered him after all this time.

 

“He said to me he never forget you. No, it was more like he always remembers you.” Junjin said casually while scooping one spoonful of rice to his mouth.

 

“What else he said to you?” Hyesung was suddenly very interested because last night, no matter how hard he tried to dig up about their conversations, Junjin didn’t tell him much.

 

Junjin observed Hyesung’s serious face. Hyesung was waiting for his answer as Junjin looked like seriously contemplating something to say.

 

“He said he stays at the hotel at the moment, so it’s quite expensive.” Junjin said then chuckled – clearly happy to tease his hyung.

 

“Lowly life bastard!” Hyesung shouted loudly. He didn’t care if they were inside the cafeteria and there were a lot of necks turn to their direction because of his shout.

 

“I’m sorry.” Junjin quickly halted his chuckle. “But Hyung, you’re really something!” Junjin sneered evilly.

 

“What do you mean?” Hyesung barked back annoyed.

 

“Make a promise to marry someone when you were six is daebak!” Junjin then burst into laughter when he saw the now-turning-to-purple-and-clearly-annoyed-face of Hyesung.

 

“Shut up, Junjin!”

 

***

 

“Hyung, I want to meet a friend of mine, so you may go home without me.” Junjin announced that afternoon when it was time for them to go home.

 

“Which friend?”

 

“Erm.. You never met him.” Junjin answered a little too fast and the way he said it rather awkwardly – by looking away and pursed his lips a couple times as if he tried too hard to make his face looked straight and expressionless – made Hyesung’s suspicion soared high. And somehow he knew right away that Junjin wasn’t telling him everything. Junjin definitely was hiding something. He was about to open his mouth to scold his dongsaeng, but stopped right away.

 

A slight pang hit him when some kind of realization arose. Hyesung didn’t know the reason of why Junjin had to lie to him, but he must have had a reason. And Hyesung liked to imagine that whatever reason behind it, Junjin did it to protect Hyesung’s feeling or because he didn’t want to burden him.

 

So Hyesung put aside his hurting pride of being lied to. Instead, he controlled his expression and produced a smile to Junjin. “Alright. Have fun, Jin-ah. Don’t get too drunk, you have to go to work tomorrow.” Hyesung tapped Junjin’s shoulder playfully.

 

“Thanks, Hyung.”

 

Hyesung then went home and had dinner of his own. He continuously reminded himself that there’s nothing wrong with living his life like this. He didn’t feel lonely even though every day he woke up and went to sleep alone. It was okay to have his breakfast and dinner alone in front of TV. He didn’t need someone to take care of him and accompany him as a lover, and he could feel okay nevertheless. (Hyesung purposely used the word ‘okay’ instead of ‘happy’, though).

 

Living alone means he didn’t need to share anything he has – apartment, bathroom, bed, food and so on. He could take a bath as long as he wants without someone complained about it. His sleep wouldn’t be disturbed by snore sounds and he could have peace sleep every night. He could add sesame oil and sesame seeds as much as he wished in his cooking because he would eat it by himself anyway. He could arrange his stuff by his liking and didn’t need to worry someone else would touch or misplaced them. The list could go on endlessly.

 

Living alone wasn’t that bad, he believed. And Junjin was surely overacting when he thought that Hyesung’s life would be miserable if he didn’t have anyone beside him.

 

Hyesung smiled and nodded firmly at the conclusion he went through while brushing his teeth that night before he went to bed.

 

***

 

Next morning, Hyesung was ready to commit a murder.

 

He was woken up by the sound of his door bell ring. At first, he only grunted and covered his head with his pillow to block the sound. If I didn’t answer it, that person will eventually leave, he thought. The bell rang once more. Who the hell is visiting me in this early morning? Hyesung tightened his pillow around his ears but the sound was never backing off. In fact, that person seemed like pressing the button even firmer and longer, made the ring sound lasted longer and higher pitched. Hyesung threw his pillow away when another loud ring screamed around his apartment.

 

He got up and glanced at the clock that was sitting on his bed side drawer. It’s not even 7 am and that bastard dared to rudely disturb my sleep?

 

Ignoring his messy hairs and his creased thin T-shirt he’s wearing, Hyesung walked to his front door. He roughly opened the door and filled his lung to scream the scolding.

 

“Shut up! What do you—“

 

Hyesung couldn’t finish his sentence when he saw the person.

 

“Hello, Neighbor!”

 

If Hyesung’s jaw ever dropped before, it was nothing compared to this morning. All his grunts and grumpiness vanished the moment he saw the man who rang the bell. Now that man was standing on his door and smiling sweetly. He was also holding a baking dish on his hands and Hyesung sensed a wonderfully delicious fragrance emitting from it.

 

“Eric?” Hyesung choked at the second syllable, he needed to gulp his saliva before continued. “What are you doing here?” And disturb me in this early morning?, he added in his head.

 

“To greet my neighbor, of course.” Eric said gleefully. “And as a greeting gift, I made this lasagna for you.” Eric stretched his hands so Hyesung could take the baking dish and made the meat-and-cheese fragrance tickled Hyesung’s nostril even more. But Hyesung didn’t move – or maybe he couldn’t bring himself to move due to the shock.

 

“What neighbor?” Hyesung asked dumbly instead.

 

“I moved to this building.” Eric said then smiled proudly. “I just made this so the lasagna is still warm, so you better hurriedly eat it while the cheese still melts.”

 

“When?” Hyesung decided to ignore the lasagna talk even though he couldn’t deny the dish looked so delicious.

 

“Um.. Yesterday. Aren’t you going to take the pot?”

 

“Which unit did you move into?” Hyesung didn’t give up his interrogation.

 

“Um.. That unit.” Eric gestured with his chin to a door on the left of Hyesung’s apartment. Hyesung frowned slightly before poked his head and followed the direction Eric just showed. Almost immediately he saw another head poked from the next door. He saw Junjin poked his head out of his apartment door and then smiled awkwardly to his hyung. Hyesung’s eyes were widened in an instant.

 

And then he helplessly half-shouted and half-cried out.

 

“You moved to Jinnie’s apartment?!”