Chapter 6

Time's Up!

 



 

Junjin was amazed by how easy it was to have Eric as a roommate. Despite the fact that they just met a week ago, Eric seemed to be very comfortable around him. Too comfortable, to be honest. On first night, since his moving in was so sudden and unplanned, Junjin hadn’t cleaned the spare room for Eric. But Eric only shrugged it off and crashed the couch without protesting. He seemed quite content with one pillow and a blanket to snuggle in – not even a word of complain muttered. Eric didn’t even lift his brow when he saw the messy apartment. In fact, Eric chuckled evidently and said that it was a relief that Junjin wasn’t a neat freak.

 

The next morning, Junjin was very much surprised to find that Eric didn’t lock the bathroom door when he was taking a bath. “Well, just in case you need to use the toilet very badly, you don’t need to knock.” Eric stated easily when Junjin asked him why.

 

Eric then shocked him by cooking in his deserted kitchen. Living in this apartment for almost seven years, Junjin only used the refrigerator, the dishwasher and sometimes stove. Junjin had even forgotten the fact that he had oven in his house – let alone to know whether it was still working or not. But after asked for his permission, Eric then skillfully baked lasagna like it wasn’t a big deal for him. Like he was in his own place.

 

At first, Junjin thought that Eric was so grateful because Junjin let him stays with him. He thought, that was the reason why Eric woke up in early morning and baked him something for breakfast. But needn’t a long time to Junjin to realize that it was his hyung who would get the privilege. It didn’t go smoothly though and it resulted in Eric got back inside Junjin’s apartment in sullen mood.

 

After Eric went home from work yesterday, he was willingly helped Junjin cleaned his room and settled himself down the single bed comfortably right after doing the chore. Somehow, Junjin found the view quite amusing – Eric lay down on the bed rather snugly like an exhausted kid and slept right away. He never talked about Hyesung though.

 

Junjin liked Eric’s easy going and laid back nature, but he knew he couldn’t let his guard down. He might have been a bit impulsive (and the alcohol he drank that night surely wasn’t helping) when he invited Eric to stay on his apartment, but Junjin had his own reason.

 

He needed to keep an eye on Eric.

 

Eric might have said a thing or two that made Junjin believes in him, but still, it wasn’t enough. As much as Junjin wanted to find someone decent and trustworthy for his hyung, he also had to protect Hyesung. Even though Junjin admitted that Eric seemed so sincere and absolutely strong-willed in pursuing Hyesung, but it wasn’t enough. So Junjin thought, if Eric was staying with him, he would be the first person to see if something was going fishy or amiss. And surely, he would be the first person to give Eric a lesson or two.

 

If only Hyesung hyung could see my pure intention, Junjin thought.

 

Junjin also found that Eric was a bit strange. First, Eric’s handsome feature looked like he was a rich boy with good upbringing, but here he were willingly cramped on single bed on stranger’s house with no possession aside from his luggage. Inside his luggage, Eric only had casual clothes and shoes, but Junjin spotted a branded suit and a pair of shoes that he knew so well not everyone could afford. Eric also never wanted to tell Junjin what was his occupation before he came here or his past in general.

 

One thing Junjin knew for sure – Eric might have been sincere, but he didn’t tell him everything.

 

And it was his job to protect Hyesung.

 

***

 

Hyesung felt very absurd. And nonsensical.

 

What the hell he was doing here now?

 

For a moment, he really thought about going back home and changes his clothes, but when he checked his watch, he knew he couldn’t. Eric would come in any minute now.

 

His initial plan was to apologize to Eric, but somehow the crazy mind inside his head kept him up-wired and nervous, he couldn’t think straight. He wanted to look not too shabby, but he ended up combing his hair overly neat, spraying too much perfume he smelled like he just poured the whole bottle onto his body and only God knows why he has to put BB cream on his face. Right now, he very much regretted his coat he was wearing. He was plain overdressed for this supposedly casual lunch.

 

And Hyesung regretted it even more when he saw Eric walked in the restaurant wearing only hoodie jacket and black jeans. He waved and paced to Hyesung’s seat.

 

Please God, don’t let him notice it. Please God, don’t let him think that I’m dressed up just to meet him. Hyesung prayed earnestly in his heart.

 

“Am I late?” Eric hurriedly sat across the table.

 

“No, I came early.” Hyesung shook his head and mumbled.

 

“What is it that you want to tell me? What was so special that you want to meet me here? I mean, if you need to say something, I can go directly to your house. In case you forget, I live next your door, Hyesung-ah.” Eric began bombarding him with questions.

 

Hyesung was taken aback then let out a silent gasp. Of course, he thought, I should’ve just done that. Now that Eric mentioned it, meeting him in his house sounded like a more better idea. It could save him a lot of trouble, and he could change his clothes or wipes his face anytime he wishes. Rather than asking him to have lunch together in the restaurant like now. This place felt so formal and artificial.

 

“Let’s order the food first. I’m hungry.” Hyesung decided to ignore Eric’s questions and waved to the waitress instead.

 

“Oh, okay.” Eric nodded. “I am quite surprised when you called me last night.”

 

“Yeah?” Hyesung tried to sound nonchalantly. If only his eyes would stop blinking nervously, he could make his cool gesture more believable.

 

And of course Eric caught the sight. “Are you nervous?” He asked bluntly.

 

“No.” Hyesung answered a little too fast and fortunately, before Eric could retort, the waitress saved him. As she handed the menu, Hyesung took it hastily and pretended to fully engrossed in choosing the menu.

 

Once the waitress left them and carried their order, Hyesung took a deep breath.

 

“Listen, I’m sorry.” Hyesung mumbled. He knew he should say it in a more sincere tone, but he just couldn’t – not when Eric’s eyes were scrutinizing him closely.

 

“Pardon me?”

 

“I’m sorry.” Hyesung lowered his head when those beady eyes of Eric kept looking fixedly on him.

 

“And what for?” Eric tilted his head to the side, honestly couldn’t catch on Hyesung’s words.

 

“I remember you.” Hyesung mumbled even slower.

 

Eric was silent for two seconds, before getting a grasp of what Hyesung was talking about. “Aah, so it’s about that? It’s good then.” He smiled and somehow Hyesung missed this childish smile of Eric.

 

To Hyesung dismay, Eric didn’t say anything after that. He only stared back at Hyesung and let Hyesung panicky looking for something else to say. , Hyesung thought, I only think about apologizing to him, but what should I say next?

 

“I went to my parents’ house yesterday and found some photos of us.” Hyesung finally said. “It seems like we’re pretty close when we were kids.”

 

“So you remember me after that?”

 

Hyesung nodded. “I’m really sorry for anything that I ever said or did to you. Sometimes I can be very rude, I’m sorry.”

 

“Never mind.” Eric shrugged his shoulder and took his glass. He then drank the water slowly.

 

During that short time, Hyesung looked closely at Eric – half-expected to catch for any excited respond from him. But there wasn’t any. Instead, he noticed Eric’s red eyes and his pale chapped lips. He also noticed how Eric sniffed loudly when he placed the glass back and the way he shivered a little. Hyesung then noticed the thick jacket Eric was wearing.

 

“Are you sick?”

 

Eric shrugged his shoulders again. “Not really.” He said, but it was too late because Hyesung already saw he shivered when he said that.

 

“For your size, you’re getting ill very often.” Hyesung bluntly remarked – recalling only few days ago Eric told him how he caught flu – and immediately regretted it. “Sorry.” He added when Eric stared at him bemused.

 

“Junjin’s living room is a bit cold.” Eric said indifferently then sniffed loudly again. Now that Hyesung caught him, he felt there’s no use to hide his cold anymore.

 

“Jinnie let you sleep in his living room?” Hyesung couldn’t help but exclaimed in surprise.

 

But Eric chuckled as a respond. “Only yesterday. He hadn’t cleaned the room so I slept in the living room that night.”

 

“Then you’re sick.” Hyesung commented dryly.

 

“I’m fine. Now I get my warm room. I’m getting better anyway.”

 

They became quiet again when their food arrived. But then Hyesung found the silence too awkward, so he opened his mouth again. “It happened so long ago. Even though I said I remember you, it feels like a faded and much distanced memory. How can you manage to remember me?”

 

Eric smiled awkwardly, before said, “It’s a faded memory for me too.”

 

And in some way, suddenly Hyesung felt a pang of disappointment.

 

Hyesung sat still and with much confusion, he waited.

 

“Honestly, I don’t remember a lot about you.” Eric’s soft tone was as heavy as a brick on Hyesung’s ears. Even though Eric’s voice sounded apologetic, Hyesung surely didn’t catch it.

 

“What do you remember then?” Hyesung put down his fork, knowing that his pasta could wait. Or maybe because he no longer desired his lunch anymore.

 

“You, your name. And that day when you promised me.” Eric said slowly and for the first time, Hyesung saw him looked embarrassed.

 

“Only that?” Hyesung’s sound cracked in dumbfounded.

 

Eric smiled sheepishly. “Well, I remember faintly about me going to your house, and having lunch with you, and your mother. I remember your mother.”

 

“Why my mother?”

 

“Because I always pretended that she was my mother too.” Eric explained but Hyesung only gave him a blank look. So Eric explained further, “My mother passed away when I was two years old so I don’t remember anything about her. Your mother was always nice to me. I liked to think that she was my mother.”

 

Hyesung fell silent because he couldn’t remember anything about it. Nor he could respond properly about the information. So Eric’s mother had passed away?

 

“My mother remembers you.” Hyesung muttered. Not completely true, but not a lie too. She didn’t remember him all the time, but at least his mother remembered Eric as her son’s friend who used to come to her house every day very long time ago.

 

“Really?” And Hyesung was perplexed to see how Eric gleamed, he found himself nodded lightly at the question.

 

“I don’t remember the promise.” Hyesung admitted frankly. He tried to recall it, but nothing ever came up.

 

“At all?” Eric’s expression fell and the glint on his eyes slightly died down.

 

Hyesung nodded.

 

“It was when we’re playing on your backyard just few days before I went abroad. My father told me to bid a farewell with my friends before I go. I have only one close friend – you – but I couldn’t say it. I couldn’t tell you that I’m leaving. Instead, I asked you who you want to marry when you grow up.” Eric said slowly and clearly, wishing that Hyesung wouldn’t miss anything.

 

“Doesn’t ring any bell.” Hyesung shook his head weakly.

 

“You said you’d marry a prettiest princess back then.” Eric added. “And I said I’d marry a movie star.” He said as he smiled.

 

“And we were six by that?”

 

“You were six. I already passed my seventh birthday that time.” Eric sneered mockingly. “So instead saying goodbye to you, I made you promised me. If by the time we’re 35 years old and haven’t married yet, you have to marry me.”

 

“That was – “ Hyesung couldn’t find the suitable word to utter. Foolish? Careless? Nuts? Excellently abstract?

 

Eric cut him. “I don’t know why, but the memory of that day was so clear even now. It might sound very weird, but I remember everything about that day, like fresh memory from yesterday.”

 

“Very weird indeed.” Hyesung muttered almost inaudible, but Eric heard it anyway. “But I don’t get it. I don’t get it at all.”

 

“What?”

 

“So you came all the way here because of that?”

 

There was no way he traveled half the world, left his job and house then stayed at a stranger’s place just because of a foolish promise they made when they were kids. A promise that the other party didn’t even remember.

 

At first, Eric only smiled and looked away – as if he found a sudden interest to look on his own hand. Hyesung waited to Eric finally turned his head and looked at him again. “Kind of.” Eric said shortly and his calmness somehow made Hyesung terrified.

 

It couldn’t be, Hyesung thought.

 

“That was irrational, Eric. How could you come here just because of that stupid promise? We were six years old, for God’s sake.” Hyesung said hastily, he almost shrieked. “And to marry you, it’s just out of question. I can’t. I won’t.”

 

Eric stared back blankly. His lips trembled as he tried to form a smile. The smile was never appeared, Eric only able to produce a grimace that complimented the hollow of his eyes. “I should’ve keep in contact with you, rather than come again after so many years and startle you like this.” Eric said slowly, and Hyesung couldn’t miss the regret and bitter tone in it.

 

“Are you seriously hoping that I will gladly accept you?”

 

“Why can’t you?” Eric asked in a flat and indifferent tone. Sounded very alien and dissociated.

 

“I don’t know you. I know nothing about you.” And because you’re weird! And because I don’t believe in anything you said! Because you’re overly handsome, there’s no way you would seriously love me. One day you will meet someone and leave me.

 

Many seconds passed with no one said anything. They looked at each other, but Hyesung felt the distance became further and further away.

 

Eric finally broke the silence when he said, “I’m sorry.” For Hyesung’s surprised, Eric then bowed his head and said sincerely. “I’m really sorry for all the trouble.”

 

Hyesung held his breath. So it means he will leave, right?

 

“You said that the reason why you can’t marry me is because you don’t know me. So I’ll take the responsibility to fix that tiny little problem. I’ll stay here and let you get to know me.” The grimness on his face was vanished, and now was being replaced by a wicked sneer.

 

“You what?”

 

“I’m okay if we’re starting as friend first. I promise I won’t push you in any way.” Eric shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly, as if he was doing a good deed. “But mark my words Hyesung-ah. I’ll make you mine before this year ended.”

 

Hyesung almost fainted to hear that. Eric was scarier than he thought!