you, my coffee

hello, hello

the cup is once again empty with brown residue staining the white porcelain, and his eyes hurt from staring at the laptop for too long. sehun can feel his fingers shaking as he copies the last row of data over to the excel file. it is already 3am and he is not even halfway done with his statistics project.

procastination is a and he should have known better not to start on this project a couple of days before submission. the resulting consequence is getting less than 2hrs of sleep for the past three days.

he knows that he should be considerate to his roommate, but he cannot bring himself to care as he pushed his chair back loudly; his hands slightly trembling as he walked to the kitchen with his cup in hand.

water from the tap sloshes onto his shirt as he washes the cup with a little too much force than it is necessary. he can feel a swear bubbling in his throat -

"what are you doing?"

his roommate appearance beside the kitchen door makes sehun jump resulting in his pajamas being wetter than before.

"getting some coffee." sehun snapped. he knows that this isn't jongin's fault, but with fatigue threatening to overwhelm him any moment, he just wants to lash out at someone.

"i'll do it for you," jongin gently plucks the cup out of his hand, and steers him out of the kitchen, "get a change of clothes before you get sick and more grumpy."

by the time sehun comes back, the kettle is already on the stove, and jongin is being cute. his mouth is set into a pout as he contemplates the amount of coffee powder he should use.

"three teaspoons please."

"are you sure? that is a lot."

sehun nodded before padding closer to jongin. the other boy smells like sleep, and sehun lets himself rest for a while, putting his chin on jongin's shoulder while watching him prepare the drink. the height difference makes the position awkward, and sehun can feel the muscles groaning with him slouching, but it feels comfortable, and he can stay like this forever.

sehun must be tired, very tired, as he feels himself jerking awake when jongin holds his hand and leads him out of the kitchen.

"rest for a while?" jongin half-pleads, "i'll wake you up in an hour."

sehun wants to give in. wants nothing more than lying on his bed with his fluffy pillows, aircon on and jongin by his side. but he can't. not when the professor implied that he is not spending enough effort on the project. he just have to prove him wrong with his submission. sehun shakes his head, and jongin's face fall in disappointment and get overridden with worry.

"i'll stay up with you then." the older boy says planting himself behind sehun. warm hands start massaging the taut muscles on sehun's shoulders, and he can feel fatigue seeping out of his body with every knead. "just work on your graphs quickly. i still plan to sleep tonight."

sehun smiles gratefully as he plugs all the data into R.

jongin gets tired 15 minutes later, choosing to sit himself next to sehun and watch him work. In his peripheral vision, sehun sees jongin looking confused and determined. the desktop is overflowing with codes, consoles, and graphs that he cannot understand, and yet he still looks upon it intently as if it will make everything more comprehensible.

sehun finds his heart feeling a bit fuller.

it is 7am in the morning when sehun announces he is done for the day, and that they should catch a few hours of sleep before heading to uni. jongin holds out his hands sleepily and walks the two of them into the bedroom.

sehun knows that he probably have to skip all his lectures today to finish the project, and that sleeping now is a bad idea cause he is so sure he'll not wake up in time. but jongin is by his side, and he is warm, and that is all that matters.

the cup of coffee stays untouched next to his laptop.

 

 

written for this at exopromptmeme & also as a self-congratulatory fic for having only 2 assignments leftforgive me for awkward sekai, feels a bit weird when i had been mostly writing kaiyeol. but these two had been killing me these days.

sehun is basically me for the past few days, 'cept that i have no cute jongin by my side/cries