V

Vegas Skies

~You hold me without touch, you keep me without chains.
I never wanted anything so much than to drown in your love and not feel your reign.
~
[Sara Bareilles]

 

 

 

The smell of bacon and ham being cooked made the figure’s eyes open groggily. Turning to her side, Taeyeon almost yelped in pain, forgetting about her injured foot. She sat up carefully, letting her injured foot hang on the edge of the bed. Taeyeon’s eyes wandered around the room, taking in every detail of the small and familiar room. She is sure she had been here, though she can’t remember when or why. When her eyes landed on a picture frame of two girls on the bedside drawer, Taeyeon’s mouth formed an ‘o’ for the realization. She had been her for three times already; now being the third time, yesterday the second time and the first time when she had shared the night with Jessica. A blush crept its way to Taeyeon’s cheeks at the memory of her first time here.

 

“Oh, you’re awake.” Jessica’s voice brought Taeyeon’s attention from the picture frame to the blonde that stood by the doorframe.

 

“Why am I here?” Taeyeon asked as Jessica made her way to the bed and sat beside Taeyeon.

 

“Uh, you fell asleep on the bus yesterday. And I told Key to carry you up here so you wouldn’t have to sleep in your hotel room alone. You woke up last night, but went back to sleep after five minutes. Maybe it was the pain killers or maybe you’re just really tired from yesterday.” Jessica smiled at Taeyeon which the latter nods her head.

 

“Ready for breakfast? I’ll help you wash up.” Jessica stood up from the bed and transferred to Taeyeon’s right side where her injured foot was. She held Taeyeon’s hand before putting it above her shoulder as she helped Taeyeon stand up on one foot. With slow and careful steps, they made their way inside the bathroom. Jessica held Taeyeon by the waist for support as the latter washed her face.

 

“Jessica, I need to pee.” Taeyeon said and Jessica guided her once again.

 

“Jessica..” Taeyeon pointed her index finger downward and moved it in a circular motion.

 

“Oh, right. Will you be okay?” Jessica asked before turning her back towards Taeyeon.

 

After washing up, Jessica helped Taeyeon to the kitchen again where two plates of fried rice and a plate of bacons and ham lay on the dining table.

 

“I don’t know what you wanted to eat so I just cooked whatever I could get from the fridge.” Jessica sat down across Taeyeon after helping the latter settle down on her seat.

 

“Thank you.” Taeyeon smiled at the blonde across her.

 

They started eating and little chatters every now and then were made until they consumed all the food. Jessica stood up to get the orange juice from the fridge.

 

“Hyoyeon called and said Key will be dropping by to drop your stuff from the hotel. And I asked him to buy you a crutch too.” Jessica said after drinking from her glass. Taeyeon just nod her head.

 

And as if on cue, a knocking echoed inside the small apartment. Jessica stood up to open it, smiling at Taeyeon in the process.

 

“Morning!” Key’s voice came before a closing of the door was heard.

 

“Where’s the midget?” Key asked as he took off his shoes and handed Jessica the crutch she asked him to buy.

 

“The midget can hear you!” Taeyeon shouted from the kitchen to which Jessica giggled before making her way back to the kitchen.

 

“Why hello, little hero!” Key patted Taeyeon’s shoulder as he sat beside her.

 

“It seems like I’ll be in charge of you today.” Key grinned, Taeyeon shot him an annoyed look.

 

“I’m fine by myself. Don’t you have work?” Taeyeon asked.

 

“Nope. Not today, though. I kind of cleared my schedule for my favorite future-cousin-in-law.” Key said as he drank from the glass of orange juice that Jessica had given him.

 

“And oh, Sica, Hyo said you can’t ditch work today. She said something about a meeting.” Key shrugged his shoulder as Jessica nod knowingly.

 

“Right. I’ll go wash up now. Take care of Taeyeon for a moment, okay?” Jessica stood up from her seat, lightly squeezing Taeyeon’s shoulder as she passed by the dark haired girl.

 

“You guys look like an old couple.” Key commented nonchalantly while Taeyeon choked on her orange juice.

 

“Easy.” Key said as he pat Taeyeon’s back lightly.

 

“You always say absurd things.” Taeyeon countered, smacking Key on the arm.

 

“No, but seriously, you guys look like a couple. A married couple to be exact.” Key said as he rubbed the spot where Taeyeon’s fist landed. Taeyeon kept mum.

 

“Alright, let’s try your crutch!” Key stood up from his seat and grabbed the crutch that was leaned against the kitchen counter.

 

He helped Taeyeon stand up and handed her the crutch.  Taeyeon walked about the small kitchen, and when she was satisfied, gave Key an ‘okay’ sign.

 

“You’re really injured, right? I mean.. you’re not faking it, right?” Key asked, earning a glare from Taeyeon.

 

“Of course not! You heard what the doctor said. Duh!” Taeyeon yelled at Key to which the latter just laughed off.

 

“Geez, I’m just kidding!” He said, raising his hands up in the air in an act of surrendering.

 

“What’s going on?” Two heads turned to Jessica’s direction as the blonde spoke. “I heard you yell, are you okay?” She said looking at Taeyeon. The blonde still had a towel wrapped around her hair.

 

“No, we were just playing.” Key grinned at Jessica then to Taeyeon. “Right, midget?”

 

“Yeah, you should prepare now. You’d be late for work.” Taeyeon smiled and Jessica nods her head before disappearing inside her bedroom again.

 

“Do you want to walk outside?” Key asked as he followed Taeyeon to the living room.

 

“Yeah, that would be nice.” Taeyeon said with a toothy grin.

 

“We will have to ask your girlfriend first.” Key stuck his tongue out at Taeyeon before Jessica came out from her bedroom clad in a skirt and a white button-up shirt, purple stilettos in her left hand and a black handbag in right shoulder.

 

“Hey, I’m going now. There’s food in the fridge if you get hungry.” Jessica said as she stood in front of Taeyeon and Key.

 

“Uh, we’re going for a walk for a while.” Key said as he watched Jessica’s eyes widened.

 

“No you’re not! She got an injured foot! What are you thinking?!” She snapped at Key who flinched a little at the sudden outburst.

 

“Sica, I’ll be fine. I promise.” Taeyeon said in an assuring voice. Jessica’s head snapped towards the injured girl when she heard her nickname.

 

“Fine. But call me if something happens.” The blonde’s eyes softened and she smiled at Taeyeon. “I should get going now.”

 

“Bye.” Taeyeon said and waved at Jessica.

 

“Key!” Key’s head turned towards Jessica who was putting her stiletto shoes on right by the door. “Thank you.”

 

“Is she always that protective?” Taeyeon asked as soon as the door closed with a light thud.

 

“Yeah. I remember she went hysterical when Hyo fainted in the office due to fatigue. Though I wasn’t personally there, I can just imagine Jessica’s horrified face when Hyo fainted in front of her.” Key laughed which made Taeyeon chuckle.

 

“I think it’s sweet though.” Taeyeon said with all seriousness.

 

**

 

“Morning!” Hyoyeon’s voice came after the door of the office she shares with Jessica opened and closed.

 

“Morning, Hyo.” Jessica replied with a smile.

 

“So.. how was your night?” Hyoyeon asked with a hint of mockery as she sat down on her leather seat. Jessica had to laugh at her friend’s question.

 

“Well I had to turn and toss at the couch before I could finally sleep. And I woke up way too early.” Jessica rolled her eyes at Hyoyeon.

 

“Oh, so you didn’t sleep with Tae?” Jessica’s eyes widened at Hyoyeon’s question.

 

“I mean just sleep, on the bed, beside each other. Duh?” Hyoyeon said and turned her chair towards Jessica.

 

“Oh. Nope.” Jessica said, popping her lips.

 

“Why, what were you thinking, huh?” Hyoyeon smirked.

 

“What? Nothing!” Jessica countered, blushing madly. Hyoyeon just laughed.

 

A knock on the door brought the two blonde’s attention to the female that just came in.

 

“The meeting’s starting soon. Boss said you should come to the conference room already.” The girl said before exiting the office. Hyoyeon and Jessica stood up from their seats and made their way to the conference room.

 

**

 

“So, what do you think about Jessica?” Key asked Taeyeon who sat across him in the cozy café they found as they walked through the street.

 

“She’s caring and kind.. she’s okay.” Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders at Key before sipping from her iced tea.

 

“She’s okay? Just okay?” Key probed, not believing Taeyeon’s words.

 

“Yeah.. why?” Taeyeon avoided the guy’s gaze.

 

“You’re hiding something.” Key smirked as he saw Taeyeon fidget under his gaze. “Kim Taeyeon is a bad liar.”

 

Taeyeon let out a sigh before turning her head back to Key who watched her with anticipation.

 

“Jessica.. she’s like summer in December.” Taeyeon unconsciously smiled as the picture of Jessica appeared in her head.

 

“While she’s supposed to be cold, she’s actually warm.. like summer in December, very unusual, very impossible.. but when she comes, you find yourself beaming with joy under the warmth of her sun..” Taeyeon momentarily looked at Key, confirming if he got what she’s saying. But when the guy had a straight face, she knew he was confused.

 

“Or maybe winter in August.. when the time that it’s supposed to be warm, and that you’re supposed to be going out and playing around the big world.. she keeps you in, howling snow storms in your way so you wouldn’t even think of going away.” Taeyeon finished with a lingering smile. Key could only blink his eyes at his friend.

 

“You love her.” Key said matter-of-factly after a while. Taeyeon shook her head.

 

“Like, maybe. But I can’t say love. I’ve only known her for what.... five days?” Taeyeon shrugged.

 

“That really doesn’t justify your actions towards each other. It’s very obvious that there’s some connection between the two of you. And whatever it is, I can’t say that it’s just friendship.” Key said as he cross his legs under the table.

 

“How did you know you were in love with Hyo?” Taeyeon looked at Key with curious eyes.

 

“I—well, I didn’t really knew I was in love with her. I just realized I notice all the little things about her, I found myself smiling whenever she appears in my head, how a smile makes its way on my face with the mere mention of her name, and how my heart flutters when she smiles at me. People tend to be blind when it comes to love, to the extent that we can’t even classify our own feelings.” And like Key had said, a smile had crept its way into his face at the thought of his girlfriend.

 

“I feel the same with Jessicca.. sometimes. But I’m not sure.” Taeyeon admitted shyly.

 

“See, you really love her. Maybe not as much as I love Hyo but you do love Sica.” Key’s smile widened at the confession Taeyeon just made.

 

“But it’s too fast. Don’t you think it’s too fast? I mean, this could just be because of what happened between us the first night.” A blush appeared on Taeyeon’s face for the second time that day all because of the memory of that fateful night.

 

“I don’t think so. But you still have time to figure things out. Sica.. I can see that she’s really attached to you. She’s not a b*tch as what people always make her out to be, but she doesn’t always smile. And when you came here, stumbling upon her, it was like smiling is the most natural thing Jessica Jung does.” Key said, grabbing his drink from the table and bringing the straw to his mouth.

 

“I don’t even know how or why it happened.” Key added when Taeyeon seemed to keep quite.

 

“Are you still leaving after your foot gets better?” Key asked again.

 

A nod was Taeyeon’s answer.

 

**

 

The long meeting had taken its toll on the two blondes as they hurriedly pick up their things from the table, stuffing it inside their bags with the hopes of getting out of the building faster to grab lunch.

 

“Jessica..” Jessica’s head turned towards her boss that stood up from his chair after majority of the employees had filed out of the conference room.

 

“How’s your editorial going?” He continued when he got Jessica’s attention. The blonde opened to speak only to close it again when she realized she had nothing to say.

 

“I’m expecting it in four days, Jessica. Remember, one chance.” The boss told her as he went out of the conference room, Jessica could only sigh.

 

“You okay?” Hyoyeon asked after their boss got out of the room.

 

“Yeah, let’s go. I’m starving.” Jessica smiled and made her way to the door with Hyoyeon following behind her.

 

They settled inside the café that they usually eat lunch at, the café that she and Taeyeon had lunch too.

 

“Have you started on the editorial?” Hyoyeon asked after chewing on her food.

 

“Yeah, but It’s too plain I had to start again. There was nothing special about it.” Jessica answered.

 

“That’s because you haven’t personally experienced what you write. It would be good to see it in a traveler’s perspective.” Hyoyeon commented nonchalantly before bringing another spoonful of food to .

 

“Taeyeon!” Jessica exclaimed excitedly.

 

“Where? Where?” Hyoyeon asked as her head turned from side to side, looking for her cousin.

 

“No, silly. I mean Taeyeon, she’s the perfect partner for this editorial.” Jessica chuckled at the sight of Hyoyeon who had formed an ‘o’ shape.

 

“Yeah, why haven’t you thought about that before? And it’s actually convenient for you since you two live together now, for the mean time.” Hyoyeon said, nodding her head.

 

“Yeah.. for the mean time.” Jessica said with a hint of sadness in her voice.

 

They fell silent for a while.

 

“How long do you think she’s staying?” Jessica asked the still eating Hyoyeon. “I mean Taeyeon..” She added when her friend looked at her questioningly.

 

“As soon as her foot gets better, she’ll board the first plane going anywhere. Taeyeon’s always like that; she’s never one to settle.” Jessica nods her head at Hyoyeon’s answer.

 

**

 

Her talk with Key got Taeyeon pondering the whole time as she sat in Jessica’s couch. She likes Jessica, yes. But love? How would she know?

 

“Hi.” Jessica’s voice snapped Taeyeon out of her reverie. She looked at the blonde towering over her with a smile on her face, her heart beating like crazy against her rib cage.

 

And how my heart flutters when she smiles at me. And how my heart flutters when she smiles at me. And how my heart flutters when she smiles at me.

 

Key’s words repeated on Taeyeon’s mind as Jessica smiled at her before plopping down on the couch beside her. Taeyeon inwardly cursed Key for planting such absurdity in her mind.

 

“Hard day at work?” Taeyeon asked when she saw Jessica tilt her head backward and let it hit the backrest of the couch. The blonde bobbed her head.

 

“Come here.” Tayaeon held Jessica’s head before putting it in her lap. Jessica just let Taeyeon lay her head on the latter’s lap, she was too tired to protest.

 

Jessica’s eyes remained closed as Taeyeon lightly massaged her temples. A smile unconsciously appeared on the blonde’s face.

 

And how my heart flutters when she smiles at me. And how my heart flutters when she smiles at me. And how my heart flutters when she smiles at me.

 

“Thank you.” Jessica muttered.

 

“Have you eaten?” A shook of the head was the answer to Taeyeon’s question.

 

“That’s why you’re having a headache. You go change first while I heat up the food.” Taeyeon commanded as she lightly Jessica’s tresses. Jessica slowly got up from her position on the couch and gathered her things before disappearing inside her bedroom while Taeyeon made her way to the kitchen.

 

After fifteen minutes, Jessica finally sat across Taeyeon on the dining table. She now wore a white v-neck tee shirt and sweatpants, her hair tied in a messy bun, and her bare face makes her skin look smooth. Taeyeon’s eyes landed on the chocolate pool that seemed to be pulling her towards it, then to the pointed nose, to a not so visible mole on the blonde’s left cheek, and lastly her eyes lingered on the luscious lips that seemed to look dry. Taeyeon unconsciously her own lips.

 

I just realized I notice all the little things about her. I just realized I notice all the little things about her. I just realized I notice all the little things about her. Key’s words ringed inside Taeyeon’s ears again. She had to lightly shake her head to get rid of it.

 

“You okay?” Jessica asked when she noticed Taeyeon shake her head.

 

“Yeah. Eat up before it gets cold.” Taeyeon smiled at Jessica, motioning for the latter to start eating.

 

Jessica ate happily, chatting with Taeyeon while the latter nods her head and comment every now and then to what Jessica says.

 

Taeyeon offered to wash the plates and utensils they used but Jessica firmly said no, and that Taeyeon should stop moving so much so her injury won’t get any worse than it already is.

 

“Taeyeon..” Jessica said, her back turned towards Taeyeon as she was still washing the dishes.

 

“Yes?” Taeyeon answered when Jessica didn’t continue.

 

“I.. kind of need your help..” The blonde said, fully turning towards Taeyeon.

 

“And that would be?”

 

“I was assigned to write an editorial. It.. it was about traveling.. will you help me?” Jessica answered with pleading eyes that Taeyeon found hard to resist.

 

“Of course I will.” Taeyeon smiled at Jessica.

 

“Thank you.” Jessica returned the smile before turning her attention back to the dishes.

 

**

 

Jessica came out from her bedroom carrying a pillow and a blanket while Taeyeon watched her plop down on the couch beside her.

 

“Let’s get you to bed. You’re probably tired from all the walking you and Key did.” Jessica said as she prepares to help Taeyeon up. “You’re sleeping on the bed tonight and for the rest of your stay here.” She added when Taeyeon didn’t seem to budge.

 

“How about you?” Taeyeon asked, still sitting on the couch.

 

“I’m sleeping here tonight.” Jessica answered with a smile.

 

“No way. This thing isn’t comfortable to sleep in.” Taeyeon said, Jessica looked at her with questioning eyes.

 

“Look, we can share your bed. You can put a barrier between us or something.” Taeyeon’s voice trailed off at the end.

 

“Why would I do that?” Jessica asked and Taeyeon looked at her with questioning eyes. “I mean, why would I put barriers between us?” She corrected. Taeyeon just shrugged her shoulders.

 

“Fine, let’s go to bed now. And no barriers, that just sounds absurd. We’re friends and no more awkward air alright?” Jessica smiled widely at Taeyeon before both of them went inside the bedroom.

 

Taeyeon tossed and turned in her spot on the bed after fifteen minutes of trying to sleep. Counting sheeps was ineffective that night, she was restless. When she turned to face Jessica, she noticed that the blonde was just as restless as her.

 

“Sica?” She called in a hushed voice. Jessica turned towards Taeyeon.

 

“Oh, Taeyeon.. did I wake you? I’m sorry.” Jessica said as she lay on her side, facing Taeyeon.

 

“No, I wasn’t sleeping yet.” Taeyeon answered and Jessica nodded. Silence enveloped them afterwards.

 

“Do I make you uncomfortable?” Taeyeon asked abruptly after a few seconds.

 

“What? No! Of course not. Don’t ever think like that.” Jessica said, raising her hand to pat Taeyeon’s arm.

 

“Why aren’t you asleep yet?” Taeyeon asked while she smiled at Jessica.

 

“I was thinking about home. I.. I miss my sister and my parents.” Jessica said honestly. Taeyeon nodded.

 

“How about you? Don’t you miss your family when you travel?” She asked when Taeyeon didn’t utter another word.

 

“I miss them, that’s why I always come home after a trip.” It was Jessica’s turn to nod at Taeyeon’s answer. “What’s your family like?”

 

“My family? I’d say we’re special. My younger sister is still in High School, but she’s graduating soon. My parents deliver vegetables to other cities in Korea from our own farm. They don’t earn much, but it’s enough for us. They were able to send me to college and as a sign of my gratitude; I promised them I’ll pay for Soojung’s university and that they could just stay at home and relax.” A sweet smile appeared on Jessica’s face while she thought about her parents back in Korea.

 

“How about yours?” She asked Taeyeon after a few seconds.

 

“My family.. they’re everything to me. Just like yours, they’re special, we’re special. My mom works at Incheon Airport while my dad was an Architect.” Taeyeon said and Jessica nods.

 

“No siblings?” Jessica asked, wanting to hear more about Taeyeon’s life.

 

“Oh, an adopted sibling, yeah.” Taeyeon chuckled at the thought of forgetting about her adopted sibling.

 

“Your family seems nice. And stable.” Jessica commented which made Taeyeon smile.

 

“Thank you. Your family seems nice too; it’d be nice if I would be able to meet them someday.”

 

“Do you have any plans on going back to Korea?” Taeyeon asked Jessica. The blonde momentarily thought about the question. She always wanted to visit her family but work just won’t let her.

 

“I wish I could just file an indefinite leave, but I couldn’t. So no, I don’t have any plans on going back yet.” Jessica replied sadly.

 

“Do you think we’ll meet again somewhere or somehow?” Taeyeon asked, causing Jessica’s brow to rise.

 

“I mean, if I leave.. we will still be friends, right? And we can still keep in touch. But do you think I’d ever stumble upon you again?” Taeyeon asked again.

 

“I don’t know. But there’s Hyo and Key that I could ask for your whereabouts.” Jessica answered with a shrug of the shoulder.

 

Jessica shifted in her position and laid on her back, Taeyeon copied the action.

 

“How does it feel to be wandering around?” Jessica asked, eyes fixed on the ceiling.

 

Taeyeon looked at the blonde for a while before answering.

 

“While it sounds tiring, it actually feels good. Like fulfilling something my soul desires. It’s like you’ve known these cities from old memories buried deep within your soul. You wander around cities you’ve never been before but the smile that strangers give you makes you feel familiar with the place, although it wasn’t as comforting as home. And just thinking about the marks that you left on the surface of the Earth, isn’t that something we all want? But more importantly the marks that I left on people’s lives, and the memories that goes with it, it’s something that keeps me happy.” Taeyeon had a smile on her face after her statement.

 

“You pretty much imprinted on my heart.” Jessica mumbled, biting her lower lip when she realized that Taeyeon had heard what she said.

 

“Is that a confession?” Taeyeon teased, poking Jessica by the side.

 

“I mean I love you as my friend. Like how I love Hyo and Key.” Jessica answered, trying to pry Taeyeon’s fingers away from her side.

 

“Ouch. My fragile heart.” Taeyeon said, faking hurt as she held her hand close to her chest, clutching her shirt as if her heart just stopped beating.

 

“Good night, Taeyeon.” Jessica said, rolling her eyes at the dark haired girl beside her.

 

“Good night, Sica.” Taeyeon said and pecked on Jessica’s cheeks before turning her back towards Jessica to hide the blush in her cheeks. Little did she know, Jessica was blushing madly at the action too.

 

Silence engulfed the small room until the Sandman came to grace Taeyeon and Jessica his magical sand, sending them to dreamland.