IV

Vegas Skies

~I know your love is such a sugar rush and I can never get enough.
I'm like oh-oh-oh-oh, and I really want mo-oh-oh-ore.
Yeah honey you're the sweetest thing I've ever seen before, I'm like a kid in a candy store.~
[Faber Drive]

 

 

 

Brown paper bag in right hand and two cups of coffee in left, with quick and long strides, Taeyeon made her way to Jessica’s apartment.

 

Transferring the coffees to her right hand, left knuckles rapped against the wooden door before it opened; revealing a half-awake, half-asleep Jessica.

 

Rubbing her eyes, a yawn escaped the blonde’s lips before she spoke in a hoarse voice. “Taeyeon?”

 

“Breakfast?” Taeyeon grinned and Jessica opened the door wider before stepping to the side to let Taeyeon in.

 

“What’s up?” Jessica asked as they made their way to the kitchen.

 

Taeyeon turned to look at Jessica with a questioning look.

 

“What?” Jessica asked when Taeyeon didn’t answer.

 

“What do you mean what’s up? Did you forget that today is Adventuredome day?” Taeyeon said, while she laid the food on the table. Jessica nod her head with forming an ‘o’ shape.

 

“Why so early then? I thought we’re not supposed to meet up until nine?” Jessica took a seat across Taeyeon.

 

“Well, I got lost.. and next thing I knew I was standing outside the café right across your apartment building. So I bought these,” Taeyeon pointed at the food and coffees in front of her. “and thought I’d bring you breakfast since I’m already near here.” Taeyeon smiled as Jessica nods her head.

 

“So you got lost and end up at the café right across my apartment building. I think I could believe that.” Jessica said with an accusing look on her face.

 

“What? I don’t even know the way around here.” Taeyeon countered defensively at the blonde’s accusations with a dorky grin.

 

“Thank you.” The blonde nods her head out of gratitude.

 

“It’s just fried rice and sausage. I hope it’s okay.” Taeyeon pushed one of the two food containers towards Jessica before pushing the coffee.

 

Jessica smiled at the kind gesture and both of them started eating from their respective food containers.

 

**

 

“Are you going back to your hotel first?” Taeyeon’s eyes snapped open when she heard Jessica’s voice. The blonde had just finish dressing up, clad in a pair of white jeans and a light blue button-up shirt.

 

“Nope, we’re going straight to the bus stop. Why?” Taeyeon’s eyes followed the blonde that sat beside her on the couch.

 

“Is that what you’re wearing to the theme park?” Jessica’s eyes traveled down Taeyeon’s short shorts after voicing out her question.

 

“Yeah. Why?” Taeyeon followed Jessica’s eyes that landed on her exposed thighs.

 

“I have jeans inside. I think we’re the same size.” Jessica stood up but stopped midway when she felt fingers wrapped around her wrist. She looked down at Taeyeon who obviously was confused as to why she suddenly offered her jeans before she plopped back down on the couch.

 

“I don’t think you should be going there dressed like that..” The blonde bit her bottom lip when her eyes once again landed on the milky white thighs beside her.

 

“Why?” Taeyeon watched Jessica with curious eyes, her head tilting a little towards the blonde.

 

“Guys.. wi—will.. look at you.. like they—they’re undressing.. yo—you..” The blonde stuttered when she felt Taeyeon’s eyes lingered on her face with a dorky grin.

 

“You’re blushing.” Jessica didn’t need a mirror to see her cheeks for the hot sensation on those confirmed Taeyeon’s words.

 

“I—it’s just cold.. here.” Jessica lied, fanning herself with her hand.

 

“If it’s cold, why are you fanning yourself?” Jessica’s hand suddenly stopped the motion when she saw the smirk on Taeyeon’s face.

 

Taeyeon suppressed a chuckle when Jessica looked like a kid caught red handed in the cookie jar.

 

“Do you want me to change?” Jessica’s head automatically nod when Taeyeon asked.

 

“Alright then.” Taeyeon said, standing up. “Can I borrow your jeans?” Taeyeon didn’t need to hear Jessica’s answer because she was quickly dragged towards the bedroom.

 

**

 

“You guys are late.” Hyoyeon said as soon as she saw Taeyeon and Jessica walk up to her and Key.

 

“And why did you just got off the same bus?” Key added with a questioning look.

 

“I got lost and ended up at the café across her apartment so I thought I’d bring her breakfast.” Taeyeon spoke up before Jessica could open to answer.

 

“Oh, so not just lunch? This time, also breakfast? I’d be damned if you won’t take her out for dinner one of these days.” Key teased the two newly arrived women. Jessica smiled shyly and Taeyeon just rolled her eyes.

 

“And you forgot to add Ice Cream. The midget couldn’t live without that.” Hyoyeon joined in, much to her boyfriend’s delight.

 

“Shut it guys. Let’s just get going.” Taeyeon said before grabbing Jessica’s hand and tugging her towards the entrance of the building.

 

“Your cousin is no fun.” Key whispered to his girlfriend’s ear and Hyoyeon rolled her eyes before pulling Key to follow Taeyeon.

 

**

 

The group of four stood inside the big building, their eyes wandering from side to side.

 

“This thing is huge.” Taeyeon mused and Jessica nods her head.

 

Their eyes landed on the wall in front of them with large elegant sign that reads The Adventuredome Theme Park.

 

“I never thought it was an indoor theme park.” Jessica said, her eyes wandering down the halls that were crowded with kids and adults.

 

“You haven’t been here?” Taeyeon tilted her head to the side to look at Jessica.

 

“None of us have. It’s our first time here.” Key answered Taeyeon’s question.

 

The group fell silent, letting their gaze wander from people to people. But Key had his eyes fixed on something else.

 

“Hey midget, do you get paid?” Three heads automatically looked at the speaking guy with questioning looks.

 

“Do you get paid holding Sica’s hand? You seem to be doing a great job at it.” Key smirked when she got Taeyeon’s attention. Hyoyeon smacked her boyfriend’s arm playfully before turning to Taeyeon and mouthed a ‘don’t mind him’.

 

Taeyeon felt her cheeks heat up, and by that she knew she was blushing madly. She carefully let go of Jessica’s hand.

 

“Why don’t you shift careers and become a detective instead? Since things don’t go unnoticed in your chinky eyes.” Taeyeon stuck her tongue out before playfully kicking Key’s shin, inwardly cursing the guy for ruining the moment.

 

“Nice suggestion. What do you think, babe?” Key grinned widely at his girlfriend which Hyoyeon laughed off.

 

Jessica could only laugh at her friends’ antics.

 

**

 

The group of four wandered inside the theme park with green wristbands that had the word ‘premium’ embedded on it.

 

“Canyon Blaster first!” Key exclaimed with much delight when they were in front of an indoor double-loop, double-corkscrew roller coaster.

 

Jessica watched in horror when Taeyeon and Hyoyeon seemed to be as delighted as Key upon seeing the roller coaster in front of them.

 

“Let’s go!” Hyoyeon lead the way to the entrance which Key, Taeyeon and Jessica followed suit.

 

The couple in front of them talked animatedly and Taeyeon couldn’t help but glance at the fidgeting Jessica beside her that seemed to have gone mute at the mention of roller coaster.

 

“Are you okay?” She asked when the blonde seemed to space out.

 

“Huh? Ye—yeah.” Jessica tried to smile at the questioning Taeyeon but her lips quivered in nervousness.

 

“You are not.” Taeyeon said matter-of-factly.

 

“We can skip this ride if you’re afraid.” She added, smiling at Jessica.

 

“No. I—I want to try it.” Taeyeon had to look at Jessica’s eyes for a second to confirm that the blonde did mean what she just said. However, Taeyeon could still see the nervousness in it.

 

“We can go to that ride instead.” Taeyeon pointed at something Jessica couldn’t see since the latter didn’t turn her head towards the direction Taeyeon was pointing.

 

“Tae, it’s our turn!” Key exclaimed at the duo with much excitement.

 

“Are you sure you’re gonna be okay?” Taeyeon asked Jessica for the last time.

 

“I think so..” Jessica bit her lower lip. “Will you hold my hand when I’m too afraid? Please?”

 

“Of course, princess. I’ll hold your hand throughout the ride.” Taeyeon smiled before intertwining Jessica’s fingers with hers that seemed to fit perfectly.

 

After a few seconds, the group found their selves seated on the roller coaster train. After settling down to their desired rows with Taeyeon and Jessica sitting side by side in the front and Hyoyeon and Key at the back, the ride attendant put down their shoulder harness for them with a big smile.

 

As the train slowly moved, Taeyeon’s hand was being squeezed tightly, leaving no space between their palms. Taeyeon glanced at the fear-stricken blonde beside her. She squeezed Jessica’s hand to ensure that she was there for her.

 

Jessica inwardly vowed she will never ride another roller coaster ever again, for the rest of her life. To say that she’s scared is an understatement, she was terrified. But as the ride progressed, and with the warm hand pressed tightly against hers, she found herself actually enjoying the adrenaline rush.

 

Two vertical loops, two corkscrew, an enclosed helix and one minute and forty-five seconds later; Jessica let out the breath she didn’t know she was holding for the last twenty-five seconds before getting off of the roller coaster train and to the exit of the ride.

 

“So, how was it?” Taeyeon asked her, their hands still intertwined.

 

“It was... surreal!” The blonde squealed and a smile graced her glossy lips. Taeyeon can’t help but reciprocate the action.

 

“I told you you’d be fine.” Taeyeon’s smile was replaced with a dorky grin.

 

“No you didn’t. You told her you both could ride the carousel instead.” Hyoyeon said in a mocking tone, causing Key and herself to burst into laughter. Jessica chuckled before squeezing Taeyeon’s hand lightly.

 

“Thanks.” Jessica pecked at Taeyeon’s cheeks, oblivious to the couple that had stop laughing and were now watching them intently.

 

A blush crept its way to Taeyeon’s cheek that she had to hide desperately, but to no avail.

 

“Shall we part ways?” Key asked after clearing his throat.

 

“Good idea.” Hyoyeon said, smiling at her boyfriend and to the duo in front of them.

 

“Let’s meet up in that cafeteria after an hour for our lunch. Okay?” Hyoyeon said, pointing at a cafeteria nearby before she and Key strolled off, not waiting for any response from Taeyeon and Jessica.

 

“I guess it’s just us then?” Taeyeon said before pulling Jessica’s hand lightly so the blonde would follow her.

 

“Where are we going?” Jessica asked when she caught up with the dark haired girl, walking side by side with Taeyeon.

 

“There!” Taeyeon said with cheerful voice, pointing her index finger somewhere. Jessica’s eyes followed the direction Taeyeon was pointing at.

 

“You’re kidding, right?” Jessica’s jaw dropped at the sight.

 

**

 

“What do you think those two are doing right now?” Key asked Hyoyeon as they walked hand in hand to the souvenir shops.

 

Hyoyeon just shrugged her shoulders.

 

“Do you think Tae likes Sica?” Hyoyeon asked as their steps came to a halt in front of a souvenir shop.

 

“It’s so obvious.” Key answered with a smile.

 

“I thought so, too.” Hyoyeon’s lips immediately tugged upward as she saw the smile in her boyfriend’s lips.

 

“What about Sica?” It was Key’s turn to ask.

 

“I can’t really tell. But I do know that this is the closest she’s been to a person except for you and me.” Key nodded his head at his girlfriend’s explanation.

 

“What happens when Taeyeon leaves?” Key asked again.

 

“Then she leaves.” The sad tone in Hyoyeon’s voice didn’t go unnoticed.

 

“I’m worried about Sica though. It’s obvious that she became attached to the midget.” Hyoyeon nodded her head at Key, confirming she was feeling the same.

 

“And being attached in a span of four days. That must really mean something.” Hyoyeon added as her eyes scanned the interior of the shop they now stood in.

 

“I know. Do you think it’s love at first sight?”

 

“You’re so cheesy. And no, I’d rather label it as infatuation. There’s no such thing as love at first sight.” Hyoyeon rolled her eyes at her boyfriend and chuckled.

 

“But you fell in love with me on first sight.” Key retorted, stealing a kiss from Hyoyeon’s lips.

 

“Yah!” The blonde laughed at her boyfriend’s antic before playfully slapping his arm.

 

**

 

“Come on! It’s starting.” Taeyeon’s grin was so wide Jessica could swear the woman’s face would rip anytime soon.

 

“But Taeyeon this is Spongebob! We’re not some elementary school kids.” Jessica protested but followed Taeyeon nonetheless.

 

“And you forgot add, it’s 4-D! It’s so awesome!” Taeyeon beamed with much enthusiasm which Jessica found hard to resist.

 

“Fine.” The blonde said before they settled inside the FX Theatre.

 

**

 

An hour later, Hyoyeon and Key saw a laughing duo that was making their way inside the cafeteria they were currently settled in.

 

“Looks like things had gone smooth for your cousin.” Key commented, nodding his head towards Taeyeon. Hyoyeon just smiled before shaking her head.

 

“How long have you been here? Sorry guys if we’re late.” Jessica said apologetically before sitting across the couple, which Taeyeon followed suit.

 

“Yeah, sorry guys.” Taeyeon said, smiling at the couple across them.

 

“Yeah, she made me watch Spongebob.” Jessica playfully pouted her lips. Taeyeon just roll her eyes.

 

“You made her watch cartoons?! And she actually watched?” Hyoyeon exclaimed with much surprise.

 

“Yeah, and she totally liked it. She even scolded some kid at the theatre because he was making unnecessary noises.” Taeyeon answered with a laugh which earned a light slap on the arm from the chuckling Jessica.

 

“Oh my god, what ever happened to the world? First you let Jessica pat you on the head, next thing we know Jessica let you drag her to some cartoon show. What’s next, you calling her by her Korean name?” Hyoyeon spoke, her shock haven’t washed out yet because the Jessica Jung she knew would never watch a kids’ show unless it was with her younger sister.

 

“It’s 4-D though.” Jessica commented after Hyoyeon’s short monologue like she didn’t hear a word that the latter uttered.

 

“You guys should totally try it too.” Taeyeon beamed at the dumbfounded Hyoyeon in front of her.

 

“Am I the only one who notice that you guys are actually spoiling each other?” Hyoyeon asked. Taeyeon and Jessica furrowed their brows at the blonde Kim’s statement.

 

“What’s that suppose to mean?” Taeyeon spoke up first. Hyoyeon could only roll her eyes at the oblivious duo.

 

Hyoyeon decided to just drop the topic. If the duo in front of her were just plainly oblivious to the fact that they actually let the other do things to them that nobody could, or they were just playing dumb; she will never know.

 

After much deliberation on what to eat, Taeyeon presented to order for Jessica which the latter returned with a kind smile before the fromer made her way to the food counter.

 

“Did you have fun?” Hyoyeon asked as soon as her cousin and boyfriend went to the food counter.

 

“Yeah.” A sweet smile lingered in Jessica’s lips as she looked at Hyoyeon.

 

“You seem to be smiling these days.” Hyoyeon commented which caught Jessica off guard.

 

“I always smile.” Jessica said with a poker face.

 

“No you don’t.” Hyoyeon retorted but Jessica just rolled her eyes, deciding to just let the subject off.

 

After a while, Taeyeon and Key returned with food tray in their hands. She passed the plate of pasta and a glass of lemonade to Jessica before putting her sandwich and a can of coke on the table.

 

“That’s what you’re eating?” Jessica eyed Taeyeon’s sandwich before looking at the dark haired girl.

 

“Yeah. Want some?” Taeyeon smiled, offering her sandwich to Jessica.

 

“But that’s not lunch.” Jessica added, shaking off Taeyeon’s offer.

 

“That’s not lunch either.” Taeyeon countered, pointing at Jessica’s plate of pasta.

 

“Here, take some.” Jessica said, offering her pasta to Taeyeon.

 

“Thanks but no thanks. Eat up princess.” Taeyeon grinned at the blonde Jung and started munching on her sandwich.

 

Taeyeon had just finished half of her sandwich when she noticed Jessica putting some of her pasta into her plate that contained her sandwich a while ago.

 

“What are you doing?” Jessica stopped momentarily to look at the questioning Taeyeon.

 

“I said we’ll share, did you forget?” Jessica said plainly.

 

“No, Jessica. It’s yours. You should eat it so you’d get more energy. We still have many rides to try on.” Taeyeon tried to push Jessica’s hand back to her own plate but the blonde was just as stubborn as her.

 

“You also need the energy. No more arguing, okay? Finish your sandwich and eat your pasta.” Jessica patted Taeyeon’s head and turned back to her own food, leaving a blushing Taeyeon and two amused spectators in front of them.

 

“Shorty got whipped.” Key whispered to Hyoyeon who nodded her head.

 

**

 

A plate of pasta, a sandwich, two spare ribs, a friendly chatter and forty-five minutes later; the group of four found their selves inside the ice skating rink that Taeyeon had urged them to try. Seeing how giddy the short girl is, the other three obliged.

 

After getting their ice skates from the counter, the group proceeded to go inside the rink. They slowly walked around the edge, holding on to the low walls around the rink, trying to get familiar with the ice. When Taeyeon finally let go of the wall, she slowly moved further from the comforting walls and tried finding her balance.

 

Jessica watched the satisfied Taeyeon whose speed progressed gradually as she went further and further away from the wall. Finding courage from the grinning Taeyeon across the rink, Jessica slowly let go of the low walls too, her feet quivering every now and then as it moved slowly on the ice.

 

“Jessica! Hwaiting!” Taeyeon shouts as she see Jessica letting go of the low walls, she too made her way back to Jessica.

 

Jessica’s eyes were fixed down as her ice skates glided against the ice. Like Taeyeon had done, she too gradually picked up her speed until she moved in a steady and fast pace. But as she brought her head back up, she took a glance of a speeding Taeyeon towards her before she felt arms wrapped around her in a protective manner. Everything went on a blur until she felt Taeyeon’s warm breath brushed against her upper lip as her nose was an inch away from Taeyeon’s, her body lying on top of Taeyeon’s.

 

Jessica tried to open up to speak but no words rolled out of her tongue, like the proximity had all the words out of her. Jessica tried hard to stay still, not moving an inch because she knew that any unnecessary movement will make her lips land on Taeyeon’s. So she did what she could do at the moment; taking in Taeyeon’s features. From the trimmed eyebrows, the long eyelashes, the chocolate brown orbs, the button nose and the perfect set of pearly whites. Jessica could only gulp at the master piece right in front of her eyes.

 

“Jessica? Are you okay?” Taeyeon’s warm breath snaps Jessica out from the daze. With a blink of the eye Jessica rolled off of Taeyeon, murmuring apologies as she struggled to stand up. When she was finally able to stand up, she offered Taeyeon her hand for support.

 

Taeyeon yelped in pain when Jessica tried pulling her up, which the latter automatically let go of her hand.

 

“What’s wrong?” came Jessica’s frantic voice, kneeling beside the still laying Taeyeon.

 

“My.. ankle.. Jessica, it hurts.” Taeyeon said, sitting up on the ice.

 

“Don’t move too much.” Jessica said as she supported Taeyeon’s back.

 

“Can you stand up using your other foot?” She added as she checked Taeyeon’s injured foot.

 

“What happened? Are you okay?” Key’s voice interrupted Jessica’s inspection as he and Hyoyeon came to them.

 

“Her ankles, I think it’s twisted.” Jessica said, pointing at Taeyeon’s right foot.

 

“How are we supposed to take that thing off now?” Hyoyeon said, pointing at the ice skate, sounding just as frantic as Jessica.

 

“I’ll carry her to the clinic; we passed by it on the way to the Canyon Blaster.” Key said as he scooped Taeyeon gently from the ice, hoping he won’t cause more pain to the already injured foot.

 

**

 

“This looks bad. Not serious but bad enough that you’d have to use a crutch for the next few days. A week the least, depending on how fast you recover.” The resident doctor in the huge clinic said after managing to cut open the ice skate that Taeyeon used and checked on her twisted ankle.

 

“How about traveling?” Taeyeon asked as she slowly sat on the clinic bed with Jessica supporting her.

 

“No traveling until we’re sure about your foot.” The doctor said firmly and flipped through the papers in his clipboard.

 

“But—“ Taeyeon started to reason but the doctor cut her off.

 

“I’m sorry miss Kim but you’d have to stay at home first, and once your foot gets better, you could go anywhere you’d want to.” The doctor smiled warmly at Taeyeon, the lines beside his eyes reminding her of her own father. Taeyeon couldn’t do anything but bow at the older man.

 

“Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some paper works to do.” The doctor said, heading for his desk.

 

“Thank you so much.” Jessica said and bowed to the doctor which he responded with a smile.

 

The group made their way out of the clinic and back to the main hallway of the theme park.

 

“I’m sorry, Taeyeon.” Jessica said, her hands shoving in and out of her pocket.

 

“It’s not your fault, Jessica.” Taeyeon smiled at the fidgeting blonde. “And I’m fine. I didn’t lose a rib or a limb. So you don’t have to worry about me.” She wrapped her right arm around Jessica’s shoulder for support as she went closer to the blonde. Jessica’s left arm automatically wrapped around Taeyeon’s waist.

 

“But still. If you didn’t turn us around and let me fall above you, you wouldn’t be in this state right now. And how about your trip?” Jessica said as Taeyeon played with her blond tresses.

 

“Well, the doctor said I can’t take that trip just yet.” Taeyeon grinned at the stressed blonde. “Come on, don’t worry too much. I’ll be fine.”

 

“You need to use a crutch though.” Jessica retorted.

 

“Or I could use you for support.” Taeyeon’s antic earned a light pinch at the side from Jessica.

 

“Sorry to interrupt you lovebirds but we still have a bus to catch.” Key spoke which bring the duo’s attention to him.

 

“You have to stay in our apartment for the mean time, Tae. Your hotel booking ends tomorrow morning.” Hyoyeon said as they made their way to the bus stop. Key was kind enough to offer Taeyeon a piggy back ride, which the latter hesitated at first but after much deliberation and a firm ‘do it’ from Jessica, Taeyeon had no choice but to give in.

 

“But you guys live on the twentieth floor.” Jessica’s comment earned a questioning look from Hyoyeon.

 

“What do you suggest then?” The blonde Kim asked as they stood under the canopy of the bus stop.

 

“I suggest my place. It’s on the third floor and Taeyeon said she likes my place.” Jessica said coolly, wiping the beads of sweat that had formed in Taeyeon’s forehead due to the heat of the sun.

 

“Sounds nice.” Taeyeon said and grinned at Jessica, and the latter took notice of a dimple on the right side of Taeyeon’s chin that had appeared.

 

“If I didn’t know any better, I would say the midget planned this.” Key whispered to Hyoyeon, forgetting he was carrying Taeyeon at his back. Taeyeon elbowed his shoulder and Key slightly yelped from the pain.

 

“Yah! You want me to drop you?!” Key hissed, earning a slap in the arm from Jessica who stood on his other side.

 

“Aish! Not fair! It’s two against one!” He complained in a defeated voice which earned a round of laughter from the three women.