II

Vegas Skies

~So come here and never leave this place.
Perfection of your face slows me down, slows me down.~ [Maroon 5]

 

 

 

Impatient sets of feet shuffled outside the wooden door, a hand reached inside a purple purse and took out a set of keys before inserting one of it in the keyhole. With a twist of the doorknob, the wooden door burst open and the shuffling steps made its way inside the dark apartment before the door was locked again. Two sets of feet traveled down the hallway. Stumbling over little things that littered the floor, the two sets of feet made its way inside the bedroom. A white shirt was thrown by the door, and a pair of jeans lay beside it. Another shirt was thrown over the bed, landing at the edge before two bodies collided above the said bed; fighting for dominance.

 

**

 

A pounding in her head made the blonde’s eyes open groggily. She tried to move out of her bed but was pushed down by a heavy weight on her stomach and thighs. She held her temple before looking at her stomach.

 

A hand was tightly clinging on her stomach and her thighs were covered by milky white legs. Eyes slowly widened as she traced the limbs that had been clinging to her body like a koala. A shriek echoed in the small apartment as the blonde watched in horror how the small figure beside her nuzzles its nose in her neck.

 

“What? What? What?!” The figure asked in a panicked voice and turned its head from left to right vigorously before her eyes landed on the blonde beside her who was clutching the white sheets tightly to her body like it was life support.

 

“Wha—what are you—you doing—here?!” The flustered blonde managed to say and pushed her body away from the startled dark haired woman until her back hit the wall.

 

“What—what happened?” The dark haired woman asked, rubbing her own temple.

 

“You don’t know?!” The blonde exclaimed with wide eyes.

 

“You! Why did you—what did you.. do?!” The blonde asked in a defeated voice.

 

“I did nothing!” The dark haired woman countered, but bit her lip at the realization that they were both bare . She immediately took a shirt by the edge of the bed and her jeans that was lying on the floor beside the bed.

 

“Look, I don’t remember anything. I’m sorry. I—I—“ The dark haired woman tried to reason but stopped when she saw the fear-stricken blonde.

 

“Just go, please. Just.. get out.. Taeyeon.” The blonde said without looking at Taeyeon.

 

“Jessica, please. It’s not what it seems. I was really drunk and I don’t remember anything.” Taeyeon tried to reason again but Jessica just held her head down, fingers fiddling with the sheets.

 

“Fine. I’m really sorry.” A set of foot made its way outside the room before she heard the front door open and close lightly. She let out a sigh and started gathering her scattered clothes before making her way inside the bathroom.

 

**

 

“Long night?” Hyoyeon asked in a teasing tone before handing Taeyeon a cup of coffee.

 

Taeyeon quirked her brow at the question.

 

“What happened last night?” She asked after taking a sip from the coffee Hyoyeon had handed her.

 

“I should be the one asking you that, you know.” Hyoyeon smirked.

 

“Yah! Quit playing and tell me!” A hiss escaped Taeyeon’s mouth as she felt the pounding in her head again.

 

“Geez. I don’t know. You and Jessica drank a little too much. We tried to stop both of you but you were so stubborn. And next thing we knew, you were climbing on a taxi with Jessica. To her apartment.” Hyoyeon said as she tried recollecting the events that had occurred the night before.

 

“Aish. I screwed up. Big time.” Taeyeon let out a dejected sigh.

 

“How am I supposed to befriend her now?” Taeyeon looked at Hyoyeon with pleading eyes.

 

“Woah! Woah! Who are you and what did you do to my cousin?!” Hyoyeon’s comment earned a light slap in the arm as Taeyeon rolled her eyes.

 

“It’s just.. Jessica, she looked scared this morning. She—well, I don’t know, but she looked nothing like those one night stands I had. I mean—ugh! You get what I’m saying, right?” Taeyeon said, her right hand automatically rubbing her nape, a habit she had developed since she was a kid.

 

Hyoyeon nodded knowingly. “Maybe because you were her first.” Taeyeon snapped her head towards her cousin with wide eyes.

 

“You don’t know?” Hyoyeon asked.

 

“We never talked. She kicked me out.” Taeyeon said, shaking her head.

 

“Aish Kim Taeyeon! Did you even apologize?” Hyoyeon slapped her cousin’s lower arm that was on the top of the table.

 

“Of course I did. But she started crying, or at least it looked like it.” Taeyeon looked off to the side, avoiding Hyoyeon’s gaze.

 

“You’re not really that drunk last night, right?” Hyoyeon raised her left brow at the other Kim as she watch the girl fidget in her seat at the question, front teeth nibbling her bottom lip.

 

“Aish! What am I gonna do with you!” Taeyeon’s gaze finally locked with Hyoyeon’s for a second before she looked away again.

 

“I thought it was okay. I mean, she lives in this big city. Nobody here gets to have their first time when they are 25. That’s absurd.” Taeyeon shrugged.

 

“In your world, yes. But in Jessica’s, it’s not absurd.” Hyoyeon stated with a smile on her lips. Thinking about how innocent Jessica was with relationships makes the Ice Princess humble in her eyes.

 

“You make it sound like I’m a player.” Taeyeon snorted, crossing her arms across her chest.

 

Hyoyeon chuckled at the immature comment.

 

“I didn’t say you were. But you travel from time to time, Taeyeon. Meet people from different places, from different culture. Of course you have had this small rendezvous with girls and guys alike, somewhere in your lonely trips.” Hyoyeon said matter of factly.

 

“Just girls.” The other Kim countered. Hyoyeon rolled her eyes before continuing.

 

“Jessica, however, didn’t have those experiences. She have had worked her a** off right after college. Providing everything she could for her family, especially her younger sister.” Taeyeon’s brow quirked at Hyoyeon’s explanation.

 

“Are you being serious right now? Because none of those sounds like Jessica.” The dark haired woman leaned back in her chair, her hands landed on her lap.

 

“Jessica Jung is a big façade, Taeyeon. Underneath that cold and b*tchy façade though, lies a very insecure and fragile Jung Sooyeon.” Hyoyeon copied her cousin’s position.

 

“But! Never ever, ever, call her Sooyeon. Ever. Or else, all hell will break loose.” Hyoyeon said with a chuckle.

 

“Why?”

 

“If you have seen HellSica, which I believe you did on your first meeting, multiply that by ten. And yeah, you get the picture.” Hyoyeon shook her head and chuckled at the memory.

 

“I experienced it firsthand.” She added when Taeyeon seemed to space out.

 

“Why?” Taeyeon asked again.

 

“Just because.”

 

**

 

Jessica walked out of her apartment, trying to convince herself that last night didn’t happen and that she didn’t spent the night with the kid-looking woman. However, the sore spot between her upper thighs seems to disagree. She let out another sigh that morning.

 

“Damn that kid.” She hissed through her teeth and made her way out of the building and into the bus stop.

 

The bus ride to her work was peaceful. She took notice of the busy people walking around the streets of Las Vegas. She smiled as she remembered how she was part of those people before, hustling with all her energy just to get enough money to send back home. She leaned her still pounding head at the glass window beside her and tried to get what little nap she could get.

 

When the bus came to a stop, the blonde hurried her way out of it and went straight to the sky scraper that stood a few kilometers away. However, her steps halted when a dark haired woman stood in front of her.

 

“Coffee?” Taeyeon smiled nervously at Jessica that looked elsewhere.

 

Jessica didn’t waste any second anymore and started making her way to her work place again. But as she went past Taeyeon, small fingers wrapped themselves around her wrist. She stopped in her tracks again.

 

“Jessica, I’m really sorry. I—I know I shouldn’t be talking to you right now. And you have every right to get mad at me. But I just—I’m really sorry. I don’t want to leave a bad impression.” Taeyeon talked as quick as she could, fearing that the blonde might start to walk away again.

 

“Please take the coffee. As my peace offering. And these..” Taeyeon let go of Jessica’s wrist and shoved her now free hand in her pocket. Her free hand held a stab of pain killers that she waved in front of Jessica who turned around to face her. “are for your headache.”

 

Jessica sighed at the shorter girl before grabbing the medicine and coffee from her hands. Taeyeon smiled and Jessica her heels again and began walking to the building that seemed to be farther now than it should be.

 

“Friends?” She heard Taeyeon shout after her, but Jessica just continued walking. And as soon as the unconscious smile graced her lips, it disappeared.

 

**

 

“Hyo?” Taeyeon quickly said as soon as the receiver picked up.

 

“What’s up, Tae?” Hyoyeon’s voice came from the other line.

 

“Uh.. I—uh, need to know something..” Taeyeon fidgeted in her spot as she tried to sound naturally, which she failed miserably.

 

“What now?”

 

“When—uhm.. Jessica, what time.. is she out for lu—lunch?” Taeyeon cursed herself inwardly when she thought she sounded weird.

 

“Why?”

 

“Uhm—uh! Nevermind. I—uh have to.. go.” Taeyeon lied before she could get herself into a more embarrassing conversation.

 

“11:30. She gets out on 11:30 and should be back before 2.” Hyoyeon said before her cousin could end the call. Taeyeon beamed in joy.

 

“Thanks Hyo. I really have to go now. By—“ Taeyeon was cut off when Hyoyeon spoke again.

 

“You like her, don’t you?” It didn’t sound like a question in Taeyeon’s ear, and she could swear Hyoyeon is smirking right now.

 

“Spill it, midget.” Hyoyeon’s voice came again.

 

“No! Of course not! Never! No! I just—just wanna—uh make it—up to her. That’s right, I just wanna make it up to her. And I don’t want to leave with someone hating me.” Taeyeon assured Hyoyeon, though it sounded like she was assuring herself more than Hyoyeon.

 

“Yeah right, Kim Taeyeon.” Hyoyeon said before the line went dead. Taeyeon grinned before wandering again aimlessly.

 

I just want to make it up to her. Nothing more, nothing less.

 

**

 

Jessica put on her aviators before making her way out of the building she had been spending the last hours in. She headed for the nearest café to eat lunch. For some reason, Hyoyeon couldn’t accompany her for lunch today, which she found weird since they’ve been eating lunch together for years when they are working.

 

Her steps came to a halt when she noticed Taeyeon on the sidewalk; head hung low, hands shoved in the back pocket of her jeans, foot kicking invisible pebbles. She raised her brow before brushing it off. She tried to ignore the shorter woman.

 

“Jessica!” Recognizing the voice, Jessica turned around and came face to face with Taeyeon.

 

“Hey, kid.” She greeted nonchalantly, taking off her aviators.

 

“Kid?” Taeyeon furrowed her brow at the nickname.

 

Jessica shrugged her shoulders.

 

“Anyway, are you out for lunch?” Taeyeon asked nervously.

 

“Yeah, why?”

 

“Do you—uhm maybe want to eat lunch with me?” Taeyeon fidgeted in her spot, the tinge of red in her cheeks didn’t go unnoticed in Jessica’s observing eyes.

 

“Why should I?” Taeyeon looked at the questioning girl before she looked the other way. “And, are you blushing?” Jessica’s last question caused the blushing girl to rub her cheeks on impulse, hoping to rid herself from the blush.

 

“So you really are blushing, huh?” Jessica smirked. Taeyeon could only blink.

 

Jessica started making her way to the café again when she noticed Taeyeon still rooted in her spot. Spinning on her heels, Jessica eyed Taeyeon questioningly.

 

“Aren’t you coming?” Jessica said much louder and that seemed to snap the shorter girl out of her reverie. Taeyeon started making her way to Jessica that was a few feet away from her.

 

**

 

“So, why did you want to eat lunch with me today?” Jessica asked Taeyeon across her when they had settled inside the café.

 

She noticed Taeyeon fidget in her seat a little before letting out a sigh. Jessica’s brow rose at the action.

 

“I’m sorry, Jessica. Again.” Taeyeon said, locking gazes with Jessica for a quarter of a second.

 

“You are forgiven.” Jessica’s voice was much calmer. Taeyeon looked at the woman across her again, hoping to see some confirmation from her eyes.

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes. Pretty sure.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because you asked for my forgiveness.”

 

“Are you really this forgiving? I took advantage of you in a way.” Taeyeon bit her lower lip at her words.

 

“You don’t have to remind me.”

 

“Sorry.”

 

“I told you, you are forgiven.”

 

“Why?” Jessica rolled her eyes at the stubborn Taeyeon.

 

“Because what’s done is done. And I really can’t put all the blame on you. It was partly my mistake too.” Jessica said honestly.

 

“Do you think it’s a mistake?” Taeyeon asked, her eyes landed on Jessica’s brown orbs.

 

“What?!” Jessica’s eyes widened at the absurd question. Of course it was! Her brain was shouting at her.

 

“No..” However, something inside Jessica was more dominant and her answer came rather quickly.

 

A smile graced Taeyeon’s lips.

 

“Vegas just topped my list of favorite cities.” With a dorky grin, Taeyeon muttered, earning a raised brow from Jessica before a knowing smile crept its way to the blonde’s lips.