Chapter 5: Love of My Life

For the Years I’ve Longed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

More than a year had passed since the day they got together, and things in his company had changed since then. Suzy started proving herself towards everyone without showing any dependence on Taec and eventually, all of them realized that everything she achieved were all her hard paved work. She was accepted by all as their boss’ better half and their lives became more peaceful.

He became less terrifying after Suzy did some magic on him and he had gained back his smile, making his employees shocked at first, but contented afterwards. His business relationship with the Kim’s stayed healthy, though DaSom still had bitter feelings over the two people.

 

Their strong bond was challenged a couple of times but still, here she was looking at herself in the mirror with a smile. She was dressed in a white gown and her hair was dolled up. Her fingers brushed across the pink flowers on her waist and she could not help but recall that moment they had their first date.

 

Being brought up with lavish money for fourteen years, he was not really the romantic person and she knew not to expect for a dreamy date. But when he took her to a luxurious restaurant to eat steaks and even packing the whole place just for the two of them, she just couldn’t stop smiling while shaking her head.

“Oppa, I know that you’re not the romantic kind of person, but this is just... uhmmm... how do I describe this? Over the top? I know that you spent quite a lot on this, but why don’t we go for a simpler date?” she spoke when they sat down, after the waiter poured them some wine.

“You don’t like it?” he asked, totally clueless.

“Just not too fond of it...” she smiled and he nodded.

“So, where do you want to go?” he asked slowly standing from his seat.

“Wait, I didn’t mean that we leave this place... I assume you’ve already paid for it, so better make good use of it... right?” she suggested.

“No, I haven’t paid for it yet, the owner’s a friend of mine, and he never asked for a down payment on it, however, I guess we need to pay for the wine...” he explained as he spoke to the manager about it before handing him his credit card.

As soon as they left, she started thinking of where to go for their date. She then remembered seeing a TV show and described to him the place. He drove to Mapo-gu, parked the car at a nearby pay parking and walked with her towards the bridge overlooking Han River. With the cold of the night air, both admired the view of the river as they walked hand in hand, reading the signs on the bridge’s rail.

Hunger both of them and an idea popped in her mind. She had been in Korea for months but still, hasn’t experienced the night market of Seoul. “Oppa, I wanna try some ddeokbeokki...” she spoke and he smiled.

With an arm wrapped around her, they walked towards the market and began visiting various food stalls. They ate almost all street foods they could see and the people around them kept on giving the two weird glances, all because they were still in a well ironed suit with leather shoes and a prim dress with high heels.

When they were full, they looked for a patbingsoo store since she was craving for it, and that was the time he noticed she was walking a bit different. He looked at her feet and there were red marks around the back of her ankles. He stopped her tracks and kneeled in front of her.

“Piggyback? Your feet must be hurting already with all that walking...” he cheekily spoke to her with his head facing her.

She then smiled remembering how he used to give her rides when they were small. With no ado, she got on his back and he lifted her effortlessly. They stopped at the patbingsoo store and when they were down, he carried her back to his car. With her shoes in his hands, they walked across the Han River once again, feeling the night air brush their faces.

If I never knew you, if I never felt this love 
I would have no inkling of how precious life can be 
And if I never held you, I would never have a clue 
How at last I find in you, the missing part of me. 

In this world so full of fear, full of rage and lies 
I can see the truth so clear, in your eyes, so dry your eyes 
And I'm so grateful to you, I'd have lived my whole life through 
Lost forever, if I never knew you.

 

He also stood in front of the mirror as his best friend patted both his shoulders, giving him some extra strength he needed. A little boy, Maden, suddenly barged in the room with Sister SunYe trailing behind. When his favourite boy from the orphanage hugged his leg, he could not stop himself for recalling how they spent their 100th day together.

The couple was on their way to the orphanage to spend time with the kids on their 100th day, but stopped by at a bookstore in JongNo as Suzy wanted to give the children some books as presents. They were picking some children’s books when he suggested on giving some high level science, language and even engineering books for future purposes, he defended. She just rolled her eyes at him and left him at the science section as she continued to the fairy tale and children’s bible sections.

When she came back to look for him, he was already seated comfortably on one of the couches and was reading the autobiography book of one of his idolized scientists. She tried dragging him but he remained heavily glued on the seat, persuading her to let him finish just another two pages of the book. Two pages, eventually added by the minute, and in the end, she gave up on him since he looked like he wanted to finish the entire book within the day.

She took a fashion book for herself, as she was getting bored waiting for him and she started reading it. In the middle of their reading time, he took her hand and intertwined their fingers as both focused on their individual reading materials. When he was done with the book, she was done with a fashion book, two interior designing magazines and a “How to Build a House for Your Cat” book even though she has no cats.

“Are you sure you’re not gonna buy that? It seems that you like it very much to the point that your just about ten pages away from the back cover of that book... maybe you would like to buy it and read it the second time at home?” she spoke filled with sarcasm and he replied with a smirk before he pecked her hand.

After nearly five hours at the book store, they finally drove to the orphanage to meet the kids, in case they were still awake since it was almost 8pm. They entered the gates of the shelter and SunYe was surprised to see that they even came, thinking that the couple have forgotten the scheduled visit.

“TaecYeon-ssi, Suzy-ssi... I’m sorry but the kids are already in bed ready to sleep... why were you so late? I thought you’d be coming in the afternoon...?”

“It’s because this guy over here took almost six hours picking books that he liked...” she mocked and SunYe could just sigh at him.

When the couple were about to leave after giving SunYe the bags of books, a little boy came out of the stairway and immediately ran towards Taec.

“Uncle Taec, I thought you have forgotten about me...” he hugged Taec’s leg tightly.

“I’m so sorry Maden-ie... We were just lost in the way, but good thing Maden-ie’s super powers led me back here...” Taec picked up the kid as he apologized and made a lame excuse again.

“Quit fooling the child oppa...” Suzy lightly hit his arm before Taec put the kid down.

“Hey little kiddo, Aunt Suzy and I should get going now, and it’s already your bedtime too...” he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter