Chapter 1: Sound of a Broken Heart

For the Years I’ve Longed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Two women sat at the garden bench, chatting as they have parted for eighteen years. Both had tears in their eyes as the younger woman narrated how she has been living to the woman in a white habit.

 

Five days ago...

She sits at the window seat of the airplane, with the headset on her ears, as tears started trailing her face. It has been five hours since her parents secretly drove her to the airport with all her baggage. It has also been four hours since she saw the news on the airport television about her parents’ bankruptcy. And it has been three hours since her fiancé, a humble band guitarist MyungSoo, called it quits over the phone.

In so many ways I tried to reach you
And I don't know why I couldn't get through
When I tried so hard to break your guard
Didn't know it would leave this scar
Leave this scar
Now I've made it this far
And the pain isn't over
But the sun keeps on rising
And I keep getting stronger

She called him to ask for a shoulder to cry on after she saw the news. But she was answered by an indifferent MyungSoo, breaking up with her upon the first five seconds of the call. And the reason for the breakup was “my parents don’t want me to marry you anymore, since your company went downfall...” She should have listened to her parents that all that man wanted was her money but she believed him. She even convinced her nice parents to let her be engaged with him, and not wanting their daughter to rebel against them, they accepted him.

When will the world start spinning
And what happened to my happy ending
Learning what it takes, to turn this page
Didn't know how to walk away
Walk away
And I won't stay down; I know my heart's still beating
Cos I hear the sound, telling me I'm alright
Telling me to move on

But now, here she is, listening to a sad song over the airplane’s radio, sniffing and wiping her tears.

I never thought that I'd survive you
But I will be free
And there'll be so many nights I gotta get through
But now I see
You'll never be the end of me, no
Cos when my world fell apart
And I didn't know where to start
I heard the sound of a broken heart
I still feel the pain
I heard the sound of a broken heart
It still beats the same

End of Flashback.     

 

 

“Sister, I really don’t know what to do anymore...” the lady paused and sniffs. “After the business went bankrupt, mom and dad just abruptly told me to go back here for awhile... But now I can’t even contact them... And that jerk...” she paused upon realizing that she was cursing in front of a sacred place. “I mean that bad man, he even left me after all these... I should have known that he was just after our money... Sister, what do I do?” she confided.

“My daughter, as of now, the only thing I see that you could do is do your best in finding your parents... You said that you graduated at a prestigious school in Europe, and with honours... so find a job that you could be successful in, and you can start finding them little by little with what you’ve earned... Let’s be honest, my dear, you can’t really do anything without money... help from organizations are limited... and I think your parents would be at ease if they know that you’re not starving yourself here in our country...” the sister advised.

“I hope so... I don’t even have a decent home to stay in...”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Since I have a tight budget, I couldn’t find a nice room... all I got is a room at a rowdy neighbourhood...”

“Oh my, maybe you could stay here for awhile... I’ll ask Pastor Jang when he gets here... or maybe I could ask one of our funders if they could help...” the sister suggested.

“Don’t trouble yourself, Sister BongSun... I could still manage... and I’m already looking for a job, maybe luck could be at my side this time...” the lady declined.

“You’re not a stranger anymore, Suzy-ah... let me help... let the orphanage help... uh?”

With a little more convincing, Suzy finally accepted the sister’s help. They chatted a little bit more and now the conversation was a little brighter, as both started smiling as they talked.

While the two were busily conversing at the garden, a luxurious car halted in front of the orphanage and a man in semi formal clothes got off his car, freely striding down the stone trail of his former home. He turns his head and sees his favourite nun on the bench talking to a lady he finds familiar. Finding it disrespectful to interrupt the two women’s conversation, he headed inside the shelter and sees the children happily playing with another of his favourite nuns.

“Sunye-ah... here’s some treats for the children...” the man placed two bags of groceries on the table before the children ran to the table, raiding the bags immediately.

“Oppa... I mean TaecYeon-ssi... you should call me formally... even if we grew up together, I’m already under the realms of God now...”

“Arasseo... Sister Sunye-ssi...” he spoke and the younger woman nodded in please.

“And you shouldn’t really bring unhealthy foods here, TaecYeon-ssi... what’s with these chocolates and candies... the cookies and cupcakes are fine... but these?” SunYe scolded as she took the chocolates and candies in her hands, being out of reach from the children. “Do you want the kids to have unhealthy teeth just like you and WooYoung-ssi?”

“For the record, I had healthy teeth...WooYoung’s the one with tooth decays...” he defended and smiled upon seeing the kids’ expressions. “Look at them, sister Sunye... How could you resist giving sweet treats to those cute faces...?” he pinpointed and joined the kids with a pout.

“Fine... just one bar of chocolate... and you all have to share...” the young nun agreed making the kids smile and the man grin.

“By the way, who’s the woman outside talking to sister BongSun? She seems familiar...”

“I actually don’t know... she really seems familiar doesn’t she? Did she go here too?”

“Maybe... but she seems to have found well off parents, judging from the way she dressed...” he observed and Sunye raised an eyebrow at him. “What?”

“Said the man who’s a millionaire at age 32... And how could you check her out right away, when you’ve just seen her for less than ten seconds...? and in an orphanage at that...”

“One, I was not checking her out... I just assumed since she had a branded bag... Two, I’m not a millionaire... but a billionaire...” he bragged and she just shook her head. “What time would Woo arrive anyway?”

“I dunno... missing your best friend much? He’s busy with his new family, so he comes not as often as before...” she teased. “But seriously, TaecYeon-ssi... when would you get married? You’re already 32... and you’re capable of starting a family... why haven’t you? And I haven’t actually seen you with a girlfriend before... hmmm... could it be that you’re of the third gender?”

“No way!!! It’s just not in the plan... so let’s just drop that issue, okay?” he replied with a straight face.

They continue playing with the kids and after a few minutes, he sees the visitor giving a bow at Sister BongSun and walked away leaving the sister on the bench. He then stopped giving the kid in his arms airplane rides and walked out of the shelter. He gives the sister a bow and the sister smiled brightly at him, showing how she also missed the man.

“It’s been three weeks TaecYeon-ah...” she greeted as they sat down. “And you obviously haven’t changed...” she hit him lightly on the arm. “Were you with some woman again last night and left her again?”

“Wow, how did you know?” Taec widened his eyes. “Did you install some CCTV on me?” he joked.

“How could I not know when you have a lipstick stain on your shirt and a red mark on your neck huh?!?!” she scolded and hit his neck and shoulder again. He then tried rubbing the stain off, but he wasn’t able to. “And you still call yourself a Christian?!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter