Smarter than a Rattle Snake

Ambush

 

Park Shin Hye was sitting in the library checking and observing her notes when Lee Seung Gi came to her. “Lunch?” he offered.

The girl lifted her chin to find the guy sat in front of her and smiled. “I’m a bit busy oppa, mianhae,” she declined politely.

Lee Seung Gi ducked, couldn’t hide his disappointment, “too bad, I was going to discuss something with you. Geurom, see you then,” he rose back to his feet, “Can I walk you home?” he smiled.

The girl nodded.

“Wait for me at the gate then,” he waved a hand then turned away.

 

A few seconds later, Kim So Eun peeped trough stacks of books, making a cat like movement closer to her best friend.

“I love him, I love him, I love him,” she chanted while gazing at Seung Gi’s broad shoulder.

“You’re one lucky girl,” she took a seat in front of Shin Hye, dropping all her books over the table with one crazily loud thud.

The girls skimmed through right and left then giggled.

They hoped the sound they were making wouldn’t cause any disruption for the rest of student there.

 

Kim So Eun inclined closer, “you know what, from the rumors I just heard, the ever popular Soo Jin-ssi, she likes if not loves Seung Gi oppa but he chooses you,” she made a dreamy tone.

Shin Hye lifted her chin, curiously gazing at So Eun. “Seung Gi oppa? he doesn’t interested in me, like romantically, you know?” she paused. “We happened to be working at a same project, that’s all.”

“Pabo,” So Eun threw a dagger gaze at her.

“All of this time, he voluntarily walked you home, brought your books, offered you lunch, that’s not just for the sake of your project,” So Eun preached.

“I just know there’s something fishy about his attentions,” So Eun squinted at Shin Hye’s. “Come on Shin ah, will a man do so many thing to a girl he doesn’t like?” now she rolled her eyes.

“We’re chingu,” Shin Hye answered laconically, diplomatically almost nonchalantly.

“Pabo,” So Eun moved her hand extensively targeting at Shin Hye’s forehead but it bumped into her books, throwing them to the edge of the table before finally fell to the ground, making an enormous thudding sound.

Silence.

The girls hid their face behind their shielding hand.

 

“Damn you’re so annoying,” one deep husky voice brought them back to reality.

 

Shin Hye and So Eun spontaneously looked around to find its source.

Shin Hye peeped through So Eun’s figure. There she saw Yong Hwa seated just a table away before her, staring at them as if he was about to explode.

Yong Hwa leaned back at his chair, folding his arm. His eyes swept boldly up and down their body, “Do you know where you are?”

The girls nodded. “Ne Sunbae.”                                                                                          

“Then stop your disturbing chit-chats, your aggravating giggles and your disrupting moves,” the boy preached then shifted his gaze to his book as if he really engaged to it.

 

Nervous, Min Hyuk unconsciously uderlined the word UNFORGETABLE FIRST ACQUINTANCE over and over.

“Hyung calm down,” Min Hyuk whispery voice rushed into Yong Hwa’s ear.

“Sssh trust me,” Yong Hwa murmured under his breath.

“Don’t be too hard on her.”

“I know, just trust me.”

These two boys had been there at the library from the first time, peeping, eavesdropping and examining their target. They even shared the same smirks, giggles and vexations just by hearing what their targets were talking about.

That day actually wasn’t the day they had planned for them to do their first action.

Yong Hwa was supposed to sit silently examining. But instead of doing so, he found their target were so annoying that he decided to wrap their first plan up, quick and neat as soon as possible.

 

“But sunbae, we didn’t do it on purpose,” Shin Hye’s bravely broke the silence.

“Yah Shin ah,” So Eun tried to confine her best friend.

 

Surprised, Yong Hwa lifted his chin.

“Mianhae sunbae, she didn’t mean –“

 

“Do you know who am I?” the question cut So Eun’s words.

So Eun nodded cowardly, while Shin Hye shook her head.

 

Yong Hwa hissed, “I’m Jung Yong Hwa. Tell me, how do you expect me to study here with your out of purpose extremely loud noises?”

 

Silence.

“Mianhae sunbae, mianhae, cheongmal joseonghamnida,” So Eun rose from her seat and deep bowed, chanting her apologies as if she had committed a crime.

 

Shin Hye slanted pensively toward her friend then shifted to the sunbaes. She decided, there would be no use explaining. Her pride forbade her to talk more.

“Mianhae sunbae,” Shin Hye immediately got up to her feet, made a light bow toward Yong Hwa and Min Hyuk, brought her books together and carefully gave So Eun a cue to leave. “Cheongmal  joseonghamnida,” a light bow was once again given before finally she drew away.

So Eun was trailing behind.

 

 

“Hyung, you screwed it,” he moaned. “We supposed to make one unforgettable first acquaintance, not one unforgettable fight.”

“Aigoo, I made it unforgettable, that's it, period,” Yong Hwa squinted at Shin Hye and So Eun from far behind.

“She’s a rattle snake, despite her clumsy nature,” Yong Hwa shook his head in dismay. “She’s like Soo Jin junior, minus the long scary nails,” he sniffed.

"Can you handle her, hyung?" Min Hyuk said worriedly.

Yong Hwa gave a half laugh.

“Anyway, Seung Gi planned to walk her home. Should I ask Jong Suk to hold him off?” Min Hyuk grinned.

Yong Hwa shifted his gaze to his friend, then smiled broadly, “proceed.”

 


 

“Damn with Jung Yong Hwa, or whatever,” inside the class Shin Hye paced back and forth anxiously.

Kim So Eun nibbled with her nail. “You know, he’s rich and mean.”

“I don’t care whether he’s rich or handsome or mean. I just couldn’t get it why he has to be that stingy,” She sheeted.

“I think we had created such a clamor back then,” So Eun conceded.

“I know I know, if it wasn’t for you, I would’ve throw one of my books ani maybe more to his handsome face,” Shin Hye shrilled blisteringly.

“I know, gomawo,” So Eun nodded pensively.

“Look at my shoes. Imagine if these shoes ever touched that good looking face,” Shin Hye taunted.

So Eun tilted, cocked her head toward her friend.

“You find him attracting don't you? So Eun held her giggles.

“Ani, Waeyo?”

“Nothing,” So Eun peered away.

“He’s an arrogant assho-“

“It’s just you mention about his handsomeness couple of times,” So Eun words stopped her from talking.

 

LATER THAT DAY

Shin Hye tapped a pointed toe against the ground. Her gaze shifted between the school gate and her wrist watch. It was unusual for Seung Gi to be so late.

She sighed.

Not far from her.

Yong Hwa eased up on the accelerator, sliding smoothly into an empty space before finally slammed on the brakes. He loved his Italian two-seater. Moreover he wished Shin Hye would be interested in riding such luxury.

The boy vigorously paced closer. There was so much going on in his mind. Seeing how she handled the situation couple of hours ago had caught him on. That girl might be awkward and unfashionable but she wasn’t stupid.