Chapter 5

It's Just A Bet {DISCONTINUED}

Jongup

 

* * *

 

     Kang Je Neul.

     I mused.

     How am I supposed to get a rebel like her to like me if she doesn’t even show up for school three quarters of the time?

     I scratched my head and my face scrunched up in confusion. I was walking to the bus stop by myself that day because I had to stay back after school because a couple of 1st graders wanted me to supervise their dance group’s practice.

     They were alright, I guess.

     I trudged along the sidewalk still deep in thought about the badass sixteen-year-old girl I had to court. Sighing deeply, I stopped for a moment to reach into my pocket for my iPod.

     All of a sudden, I heard the sound of loud rustling leaves. Glancing around, it took me seconds to realize that it came from the large tree that was about a foot away from me. “Hey! Hey, you, the one with pink hair!” I was startled by someone calling out for me from above. It sounded like a girl.

     “Look up here!” the anonymous girl called out again. Hesitantly, I did what I was told only to have my eyes met with Je Neul herself! Each of her feet were wedged between two thick tree branched that stretched out from their trunk. Her arms cradled a small, black and white kitten that looked surprisingly comfortable in her grasp. “Catch,” she said, her lips betraying her cool façade with a hint of her seemingly non-existent smile.

     “O-okay,” I stammered at her sudden command and caught the fluffy animal in one swift motion. Wouldn’t it be embarrassing if the school’s star athlete couldn’t catch that? I mused, chuckling to no one in particular.

     Je Neul eventually hopped down the tall tree and landed firmly onto the ground. “Perfect landing,” I commented softly.

     “Thanks,” she nodded curtly in response. “So, uhh, can I have that kitten back?” she raised an eyebrow and nodded towards the bundle of adorableness snuggled in my arms.

     “Here you go,” I smiled as I tickled it for one last time before returning back to the blue haired girl. “I see you changed your hair color again for the new school year,” I added.

     “Don’t talk like you know me well enough to be informal with me,” she snapped and shot me a glare.

     Raising my hands up as though I was surrendering, I let out a small laugh. “Whoa there, don’t get worked up, Je Neul-sii. I was just being observant,” I shrugged. ‘What color was it last year anyways? Purple?” I tilted my head and wondered out of pure curiosity.

     “Why don’t you just bug off, Mr Star Athlete?” she sneered at my title in the school’s campus.

     “No, really, I want to know. What color was your hair last year? Don’t leave me hanging like that,” I frowned. I didn’t want to let a silly question like that bug me all day even though I knew it would unless I knew the answer.

     Letting out a dramatic sigh (her shoulders even deflated!), she simply answered, “Orange.”

     “Ahhh,” I nodded, finally recalling it. “It suited you.”

     “So my hair color now doesn’t suit me?” she raised an eyebrow, her tone sounded a bit defensive. Before I could deny it, she scoffed and began to walk away.

     “W-wait!”

     “What?” she spun around and shot me a look of annoyance, the rescued kitten still with her.

     “Where are you taking it?”

     “The kitten? To the pet shelter of course,” she scoffed once more (this time, even louder), flipping her long locks off her shoulder in the process.

     I jogged to her and said, “I’ll go with you,” flashing her my signature puppy-like smile everyone was found of.

     “Your smile is disgusting, by the way. Too cocky,” she rolled her eyes. “Oh, and why should I let you come with me?”

     “Because I helped saved the kitten,” I put on a poker face and answered her. I didn’t want her to have the satisfactory of thinking that her snide remark fazed me.

     “Fine,” she agreed to it flatly. Letting out another dramatic sigh, she lead the way.

     “And by the way, blue hair suits you better,” I smirked. “Je Neul, please make it easier for me to win you heart,” I added under my breath.

     “What?”

     “Oh, nothing,” I shrugged. “Let’s keep walking, shall we?”

 

 

 

A/N: I'm so sorry this chapter is so short >< I've been procrastinating so much these days eep. 

Anyways, is anyone excited to read the next chapter? I'll give you a spoiler, it's going to be about Yongguk and the school's most fearsome queenka - Yun Ji DUHDUHDUUUUUUH

hehehe

Subscribe, comment and upvote if you haven't!

ILY <3