Chapter 3

It's Just A Bet {DISCONTINUED}

Daehyun

* * *

 

     “Jung Dae Hyun!” Tae Jin shrieked in horror and rage, she was fuming so much she actually stated to flush.

     “Aww come on, Tae Jinnie,” I laughed, “have some sense of humor.”

     “I do have a sense of humor,” she replied through gritted teeth, “and how on earth is filling someone’s locker with colorful ping-pong balls funny?”

     “Well I guess on earth it wouldn’t be funny, but in Planet Mato, everyone would be in hysterics laughing at what happened,” I replied cheekily.

     “Planet. Mato?” she repeated. “You’re delusional, Jung Dae Hyun. Delusional,” Tae Jin picked up a green colored ball and tried to throw it at me.

     Dodging it narrowly, I joked, “Then I guess I’m dae-lusional.” I knew I was indirectly asking for a punch in the nose or maybe a kick in the shin, but getting on Tae Jin’s nerves had always been something I found particularly amusing.

     “You jerk,” she chose to shove me, hard. I stumbled backwards a bit but my smile never left my face. I wasn’t surprised at all that small-sized Tae Jin could cause me to lose my footing. After all, she was a first degree black belt in taekwondo. “How can you still be smiling?” she asked in disbelief.

     “You didn’t even look at what was written on those ping-pong balls, did you?”

     She paused for a while and then shook her head.

     “Silly Tae Jinnie-”

     “Don’t call me that,” she cut me off sharply.

     “I think it sounds cute. It suits you,” I winked. If there was one thing I liked better than making her angry, it would be flirting with her. That small face of hers would empurple to such an adorable shade of pink, she actually looked bearable. “Here,” I handed her a yellow ball, “it’s your favorite color, right?”

     “Yeah, but how do you kn-”

     “Take a closer look at what I wrote on it,” it was my turn to cut her off. I grinned as her eyes scanned across the plastic sphere and then widened in incredulity.

     “I don’t believe it,” she said, but the uncertainty in her voice told another story.

     “Why not? It’s my confession to you,” I beamed gingerly, remembering the bet B.A.P had made.

     “Writing ‘I like you’ on dozens of ping-pong balls and then stuffing it into someone’s locker is not a confession,” she regained her confidence and shot back.

     “A hundred, actually.”

     “What?”

     “It was a hundred ping-pong balls, to be exact,” I corrected.

     She rolled her eyes and then made her way to her locker, careful not to trip on the scattered mess. “It’s still not a confession.” She pushed the ajar, metal locker door open and let out a frustrated sigh. “Where did you put my things and why did you empty my locker in the first place?”

     “It’s over here,” I replied and handed her a cardboard box overflowing with the contents in her locker. “I emptied your locker so that my confession could fit.”

     “Not a confession,” she answered bluntly.

     I shrugged it off and then tried to help her with the heavy box, not that she needed help. “Nice collection of selfies with Yongguk hyung, by the way,” I giggled.    

     “Y-yah! You were snooping through my things!” she yelled, but looked very embarrassed.

     “You like him, don’t you?”

     She shook her head furiously. “N-no!”

     “You do!” I confirmed, amused with her reaction. “Ah that’s a shame; I don’t quite think he likes you back.”

     “Stop jumping into conclusions.”    

     “I’ll fight for your heart, you know,” I said with a look of seriousness.

     She checked her watch and swore under her breath, at least I think she swore but it didn’t quite sound like a bad word. “I’m late for my literature lessons.”

     “Do you want me to walk you home?”

     She shook her head. “My driver should be waiting for me at the school’s exit.”

    “Then can I walk you there?” I asked with a glint of hope in my eyes.

     She sighed and then gave in. “I guess you could do that.”

     Walking her surprisingly wasn’t awkward. We were telling each other about our respective first day of school and Tae Jin turned out to be an alright person. She even made me laugh. I guess when we weren’t bickering all the time, she was less high-strung.

     Our five-minute bonding time ended as we both stopped on our tracks and were greeted with the sight of a well polished, black Mercedes Benz. I knew Tae Jin was rich, but it still took a lot in me to not let out a low whistle of appreciation to her car.

     “Well, um, thank you for walking me to my car, Daehyun, though it wasn’t really necessary,” she shameless added the last part.

     “Treat it as a gesture to win your heart.”

     “Very funny, Daehyun,” she said sarcastically, but instead of her usual frown or glare, she gave me a smile.

     “Call me Daehyun oppa.”

     “Okay then, bye, Daehyun oppa,” she laughed and stepped into her car.          

     “I’ll make you mine I promise!” I called out before she shut the door. I stared at the car’s gradually shrinking figure as it drove off, a smile of satisfaction played on my lips.

     Step one to winning the bet? Completed.

     Tae Jin actually did believe that I liked her and there was actually a possibility that she might be warming up on me. She even called me oppa! The problem was, she had a crush on Yongguk hyung. But I was determined to make that change.

     I will win this bet.

     I thought with determination.

     Park Tae Jin, you’re going to be my girlfriend in no time.

 

* * *

 

     That night, I giddily set my alarm an hour earlier than I normally did, with my well thought out plan to win Tae Jin’s heart still fresh in my mind. “Don’t you think you’re going a bit too far for someone you don’t even really have a crush on?” my mom questioned me when I told her what I was going to do. But she didn’t try to stop me.

     So I guess mission make Tae Jin mine was a go.

     I sent a quick text message to Youngjae telling him that I wasn’t going to walk to school with B.A.P that morning as soon as I woke up. I styled my hair and swept it to the side, using a bit more effort than I usually do. Smoothening out my black cotton vest I always chose my comfortable blazer over, I checked my reflection to see if I looked alright. If I wanted to win a polished girl like Tae Jin’s heart, I had to dress to impress, right?

     I walked to school by myself with a slight spring on each step, excited to execute my prank. With the tingling excitement still in my bones, I ran up the staircase all the way up to the fourth floor – where the school’s PA system was controlled.

     There were a few girls from my grade fussing around to fix the minor glitches and prepare to announce the usual morning announcements. “Hello there,” I smiled charmingly and strode towards them smoothly.

     “H-h-hi th-there Dae-dae Hyun o-oppa,” one of them stammered furiously. I had always found it amusing how much of an effect I can have on these girls.

     But I went on with my hot-boy façade anyways. I had to get what I wanted. And I needed their help. “Could you help oppa with something?” I leaned in towards her, our faces so close apart, and asked her.

     “O-oh-of co-course,” she nodded, a blush instantly crept onto her face. “Wh-what do you wa-want me to do?”

 

* * *

 

     I glanced at the clock hung on the room’s wall nervously. The school announcements were about to begin. My prank was about to begin.

     “Everyone, we have a special guest here today with us and he has something he has to say. Daehyun oppa, the mike is all yours!”

     That was my cue.

     I awkwardly took hold of the mike and a sudden wave of nervousness rushed over me. “Um, hello everyone,” I mustered up the calmest tone I had. I paused for awhile and mentally imagined the squealing fangirls spazzing over what was going on. “I just wanted to let the entire school witness what I am about to ask,” I paused again, this time to built up the effect of suspense.

     “Park Tae Jin, will you go out with me?” 

 

 

A/N: Did you guys liked the new poster and background? :) And who do you want to win? Youngjae? Zelo? Daehyun? Or maybe the others~