Chapter 4

It's Just A Bet {DISCONTINUED}

Himchan

* * *

 

     “Daehyun oppa’s confession was so sweet.”

     “I wonder if Tae Jin unnie accepted it.”

     “She’d be a fool not to.”

     “I wonder what’s with B.A.P oppas these days. I heard that Youngjae oppa made a public confession in his class to.”

     Whispers and murmurs about what had happened the past day were everywhere. I tried to keep my cool as I walked down the hallways, pretending to be unfazed by what the students are saying. But even I, Kim Himchan, couldn’t help but let a subtle chuckle escape my lips when I overheard the last one.

     She had a point, though. Everyone was bound to be suspicious if all six of us suddenly decide to pursue a girlfriend all at once. But at that moment, what the student body thought wasn’t my biggest concern. What was really on my mind was who Lee Jee Sun was.

     Almost as if it on cue, Zelo came up from behind me and managed to fall into step with me. “Why the serious, cold face, hyung?” he tilted his head in curiosity. He held on each of his bag’s straps with his hands and walked next to me, glancing at me every now and then in hopes of me giving him a response.

     “Just thinking,” I eventually said.

     “Of?”

     “Jee Sun.”

     “What about her?”

     “Nothing.”

     “Yah, hyung.”

     I rolled my eyes and let out a deep, long held in sigh. “I don’t know who she is, maknae-yah.” Frustration was evident in my facial expression. Zelo stopped on his tracks and giggled in response. “What’s so funny?” I fumed and stopped walking as well. I bet we looked ridiculous standing directly in the middle of the hallway like that.

     But who cares? We were popular.

     “She has actually been in your class since the 4th grade in primary school,” the younger one replied with a toothy grin.

     “What?” my eyes widened in shock. “How come I’ve never spoken to her before?”

     Zelo shrugged and began to slowly walk away. “Maybe you have but you don’t remember?” he suggested as he made his way down the hallway and to his own class. “Good luck, though,” he added, his back facing me.

      “Why won’t you just tell me?” I called after him but I guess my question didn’t reach him because I didn’t get a reply. I let out a loud groan in frustration as I ruffled my hair angrily.

     “Tell you what, hyung?” Jongup appeared out of nowhere and asked.

     “Who Lee Jee Sun is,” I grumbled, my arms crossed.

     Jongup laughed. “Hyung, you could have just asked me, you know.”

     “You’ve seen her before?”

     He nodded.

     “Well then what are you waiting for? Show me who she is!”

     Jongup hesitated for a moment and then eventually agreed. “I’ll show her to you during break, okay? I have to get to class.”

     I glanced at the digital clock on my phone and shooed his away quickly. “Five more minutes before you’ll be late,” I explained my sudden actions, receiving a weird look from Jongup.

     “Okay then,” he raised an eyebrow, “see you later!” he waved and ran off to class.

     I glanced around to see that the hallways were already three quarters empty. With an alarmed look on my face, I sped walked to my class before I got in trouble. I managed to get to my seat just seconds before the teacher entered the classroom.

     Phew. Talk about luck.

     The teacher droned on about the history exercise we had to do on the first chapter but majority of the class weren’t really paying attention – including me. But I did catch on a few key points such as ‘complete this by today’, ‘you can use your textbook as a reference’ and something about asking a student to hand out the worksheets.

     That’s pretty much all I needed to know, anyways.

     I stared out in space, still lost in my own world as I saw a piece of printed paper landing on my desk from the corner of my eye. I absentmindedly mumbled a thank you to whoever it was that distributed them, not really caring who it was. Suddenly, I felt a tap on the shoulder. I averted my attention to whoever it was only to find out that I had never seen this girl before.

     She had naturally long, curly hair that looked soft and well brushed out, and her bangs were pushed back with a pin, away from her forehead. But other than her hair, everything about her was average. Average features, average body, average height. Average.

     “Himchan-sii,” she started, her face flushed out of shyness, “you dropped this,” she placed a blue pen of mine onto my table and walked off.

     “Wait!” I stopped her, and she turned around slowly. “Thank you,” I flashed her my award-winning smile.

     She nodded and returned my smile with a small one, her head slightly ducked to avoid eye contact.

     “Um, what’s your name? I don’t think I have seen you before,” I stopped her once more and asked, hoping that I didn’t sound like a total creep and every other student who was sticking their noses into my business didn’t take me the wrong way and misunderstand me.

     “Jee Sun.”     

     Well, I guess I didn’t need neither Zelo’s nor Jongup’s help after all. I found Jee Sun all by myself. Good job, Himchan.

     I blinked a few times and then laughed. “That’s a really pretty name, Jee Sun-ah.”

     “Thank you,” she simply bowed.

     “A pretty name for a pretty girl like yourself,” I winked. “It suits you.”

     “Ah, don’t say things you don’t mean, Himchan-sii,” she answered, a slight scowl on her face. And with that, she walked away, making sure she was fast enough so I couldn’t stop her for the third time.

     Hmm, isn’t she interesting?

     I mused.

     The rest of the day was spent finding out more about Jee Sun. But it was so hard. I asked around a couple of students like the class monitor, the girl who sat next to me and even Yongguk! But they knew very little about her.

     However, I did find out a few basic information from the ever-so-reliable maknae, Zelo. Apparently, she’s a year younger than me. She doesn’t have a special role in the school’s committee which was odd because she was a senior; she had to be in charge of something, right?

     The final bell rang and we were dismissed (after being reminded to pass up our homework tomorrow, of course), time to go home. I quickly shoved my books and papers into my backpack and slung the strap around only one of my shoulders. Just as I made my way to the exit, a few of my female classmates said their goodbyes to me.

     “Bye Himchan oppa!”

     “See you tomorrow!”

     “Don’t hesitate to call me if you need help with your homework.”

     “You look very cool carrying your bag like that, by the way, oppa.”

     “I’ll be sure to pack a lunch box for you tomorrow oppa.”

     I nodded politely at each of them and waved with the best smile I could muster. “Okay then,” I singsonged. I was close to stepping out of the classroom when something caught my eye. Well, not exactly something, but someone. Turning around, I walked pass the group of hopeful fangirls and all the way to the back of the class – where Jee Sun was.

     “You haven’t left yet?” I gave her a warm, sincere smile in which I had failed to give my ‘fans’. She shook her head in response, still focused on neatly tucking her belongings into her cute panda backpack. I nodded in response too and then stayed by her side, watching her every movement.

     “Why are you still here?” she turned to me and asked quietly as soon as she was done.

     “Waiting for you.”

     “For what?”

     “So I can walk you home, of course,” I smirked. Jee Sun gripped the straps of her backpack tighter out of nervousness as soon as I said that.

     “You don’t have to.”

     “But I want to.”

     “I have errands to run before I get home.”

     “All the more reason for me to accompany you; so you’ll be safe,” I smiled and patted her cheek lightly. She pushed it away lightly and began to walk off, with me tailing behind her. “Come on, it’s not safe for a girl to walk around running errands all by herself. What kind of gentleman would I be if I let you put yourself in danger like that?”

     “I don’t want to draw attention to myself. Oh and can you please stop following me? People are staring at us,” she frowned.

     Sighing in defeat, I eventually gave in. “Fine, I’ll leave you alone, for now.”

     Skeptical about what I said, Jee Sun gave me an unsure look. “I guess I’ll be going now.”

     “Can I at least get a hug first before you go? We can do it in the class, it’s empty after all,” I asked nonchalantly, my final attempt to flirt with her for the day.

     “No,” she replied sternly.

     “What about your phone number?” I was still hopeful, determined to leave an impression on her.

     She rolled her eyes in annoyance. “If I give you my number, will you go away?” I nodded attentively in reply.

     And that was how I managed to get the mysterious Lee Jee Sun’s phone number.

     As soon as she finished punching her number into my phone, she was gone. I stood there for a moment and watched her disappear, clutching my phone so tightly my knuckles were white. I waited a few moments before unlocking my phone and typing a text message to Jee Sun.

     ‘I really did mean it when I said you were pretty, you know. ;) x –Himchan oppa’

     Chuckling to myself, I slid my phone back into my pocket and began to walk out of school by myself. Jongup, who usually walked with me, had something to do that day so I guess I was alone.

     She sure is a challenge. Good choice, Zelo. Good choice indeed.

 

 

A/N: Do you guys like the story so far? ^^ Please please please please please upvote, comment and subscribe! I'll love you to bits if you do xxx

Ohohoho can anyone guess who the next chapter is going to be about?