Chapter One: Paradox Lies

S a l v a t i o n

Chapter One: Paradox Lies

 

“Anyone who’s out of line, gets it from me when we come back. Got it?” Kris pulled down his mask, dark eyes scanning at the faces before him. His gaze lingered especially on the maknaes, causing them to shuffle their feet awkwardly. The last time the truce had occurred, he had to forcefully yank Kai off Heechul, after the older had insulted their brotherhood in the face. The truce was sacred, Kris thought to himself as the limousine drove into the secluded private property. The truce was the only time the sibling brotherhoods and sisterhoods ceased fighting for their benefactor’s attention, the man they called father. Childish as it seemed, it was the truth.

 

The favourite brotherhood or sisterhood was blessed with small perks, more business, clubs, so on so forth. Fighting for that blessing had resulted in numerous sabotages, fights breaking out at territory borders, all of which displeased their father of course. Hence, the truce. Kris paused at the security pad, pressing his palm onto the screen as he scanned for entry.

 

The mask was a smoke screen, something to prevent the murdering of the sibling brotherhoods or sisterhoods. Meeting at every truce would only result in endangering themselves, for the rival group would use it to their advantage to sabotage said victim. Know what school they go to, where they live, and killing would be one click on the gun away. Kris thought grimly as Sehun finished his scan, the screen now lighting up for the binary code. 01010011 01001101.

 

With a beep, the electronic voice greeted them as Exo, and they stepped in. Masks were necessary and a way to avoid dangerous groups that had tremendous influence. For example, SJ was in a temporary alliance with SNSD, said group allies with F(x). F(x) in turn was in a temporary alliance with SHINee. Exo was still under the ‘probation luck’ as the other gangs called it, having the protection of their father until he moved onto a new group. Exo was working on its temporary alliance with F(x), hoping to lengthen the deal, having formed alliance with SHINee. Leather shoes clicking against the cold marble floor, Kris inclined his head at the servants, watching as they pulled the door open.

 

“Impeccable timing as always, Duizhang?” A soft voice flittered its way to Kris’ ear and he thanked his lucky stars for the mask, or his frown would have been seen. Not giving anything away, he bowed and kissed the extended hand, ignoring how the eyes behind the mask glittered with snarkiness. This woman was known as Sun, leader of SNSD, and someone Kris  was not willing to mess with. One of the SNSD member was sister to one in F(x), their influence uncannily strong. They could not afford to lose an alliance. He knew that behind the golden mask and petite figure was a master in command, wittier than a fox, and a grave deadly enemy should anything go wrong. Swallowing a mouthful of champagne, he gladly began to listen amicably to whatever Sun had to say.

 

Meanwhile, Kai had headed over to where his best friend (or as close as you can be) hyung, or dancing maknae of SHINee. Plucking the ear bud that had already been taken out as an open invitation, he was greeted with a blast of R&B. Slowly, he began to tap his foot to the beat of the song, his  body already moving to a song of its own. They had a close relationship, a unique one between the two brotherhoods, for gangs seldom befriended outside of their social circle. This had led to the firm alliance between them, and the slow befriending of F(x). The only problem right now was tension Exo had with SNSD and SJ. Both were the oldest and most notorius brotherhood and sisterhood, even when compared to others, they were the most ruthless and strongest. SJ was especially strong, and were the ones who could get away with insulting any other groups. The last time…

 

“Come aren’t you sitting down?” Suho straightened his tie, bowing stiffly to his father who clapped him fondly on the back. Relaxing, Suho ushered the rest of his brothers, taking a seat on Kris’ right, Kyungsoo on his right, and the nearest to their father. At least, as close as you could get from a total of six chairs from you. Six other members of Exo sat opposite, another six chairs away from their father, the older the group the further from their father who sat at the head of the table, eyes crinkling as he smiled at them.

 

“ Allow me to introduce your new younger sisters, Jupiter.”

 

Deathly silence follows, and Kyungsoo feels his heart skip a beat. They no longer were entitled to the ‘probation luck’, no longer entitled to any protection. This meant that they were vulnerable, a lot more vulnerable than before, for now the word ‘murder’ could now be applicable to them. Beads of sweat trickle down his neck, and Kyungsoo feels breathless, as though he needs to run. The other groups are staring at them, and Kyungsoo swallows as he knows what they’re thinking. Take out the easy ones first and eliminate them. He knows because that’s exactly what he’ll plan for Jupiter, already is, as the silence lengthens, the tension bitter and wild, almost tangible. Kris’ hands are curled into fists, eyes darting to the curtain behind their father’s chair, perfect for hiding a trap door.

 

The introduction starts as girl after girl appears, filling up the twelve empty chairs. The names are mixed into a huge ball, but Kyungsoo makes a point to remember the leader’s names. Not real names of course, just code names. Star and North, the two tall willowy girls, but he was looking out for the final one, the most important member of the group.

 

The maknae.

 

The maknae was typically the group’s most weakest member, at the same time the most protected one. They were usually vulnerable, and the loss of them would drive the group insane with fear or anger. It was a wild card to use, capture the maknae and black mail the group. The other girls have already settled down, and that’s when the door creaks, and a short  tiny girl emerges. Her dress is short but hanging in drapes that flicker orange, bronze, red, the colour of autumn, her mask tinted golden, light canary feathers adorning her mask along with ruby rhinestones. It’s expensive, and Kyungsoo swallows as he realizes that their father has played favourites again.

 

Y is tapping at the glass, her nails tapping at the surface as her eyes seethe, probing the image of the girl. She was used to being father’s favourite daughter, and that was what kept SNSD at the top, with gifts so extravagant that no one could beat their power. Pity swirled in Kyungsoo ‘s stomach as the delicate girl walked to her seat, next to him. On her right, Star touched her at the hip and she halted.

 

“I’m Snow Flower, the maknae of Jupiter.”

 

Her voice rang in the hall, and Kyungsoo watched, eyes alert as she smoothed her dress, sitting down. She was not tall enough to be a spy, hands still too smooth to have handles a gun or grenade. That left to specialties, hacking into software, or driving. She was too delicate, for driving fast, lifting the motorbike and making it jump curbs. So she had to be good at hacking. His mouth dried as he imagined his hands closing around that soft tiny neck, that pale smooth skin, twisting it until it’s first crimson, then a soft dark blue as she takes her final breath…

 

She was just to easy, it would be like killing a bay. A soft broken lullaby, fast and simple. He could see why father paid attention to her, she was like a tiny flower, still budding, pink around the roof of the petals. The silence in the room is sharp and commanding, a furious fire, burning sullenly and biding its time. Kyungsoo feels someone nudge him, elbow sharply sticking into his ribs. It takes a few more jabs before he gets the message, and turns stiffly to the girl. The eyes are soft and bambi like, almost identical to Luhan hyung’s, and he feels his guard waver before his eyes harden.

 

It’s always the gentle ones you had to watch out for.

 

“Hello. I’m Earthquake.”

 

His hand is a trap, an open invitation, when she takes it, her skin warm and smooth as she delicately clasps his hands. Kyungsoo weighs the weight of her hand, the firmness of the grip, and his heart sinks. He’s right. She was just another snowflake to trample on. He abruptly drops her hand, assessment done, and that’s when her eyes flicker, displaying a moment of triumph. It sends goosebumps up his neck because those eyes show ruthlessness and are eyes of a murderer, a killer. Keeping his eyes hard and unflinching, he says nothing as Sno Flower nods her head, dark brown curls bouncing. There’s a short silence, before their father clears his throat, tone bright, but eyes flashing under the lights.

 

“Jupiter is the sister group of Exo. I would belive that this would mean a temporary truce between you two? I expect one of the sisterhoods to offer a hand in friendship……” There is no question in their father’s last and final statement. The room suddenly feels much too cold, and Kyungsoo shivers as y continues tapping on the glass, slow and calculative. The clock ticks and chimes, no one making a move. Having Juipiter as a temporary ally would not help their already grave situation. Protecting their own selves from being murdered was already a challenging task, protecting the newbies too? That would be like flashing a giant neon sign at the rest to come join in. Kyungsoo is about to shake his head silently when he glances back at the girl beside him. Again he hesitates, drawn in by the purity, the innocence of this fragile doll. Was he signing her death contract? He thinks back to SHINee and F(x), and some part of him feels a jolt of sympathy.

 

“Pleasure to meet you Star, Willow.” Suho and Kris leans and shakes hands with the two girls, and the silence is gone. Amid the friendly exterior, the relaxing atmosphere as tension drains away, Kyungsoo suddenly realizes that Y has stopped tapping on the glass. He catches Sun cocking her head at Snow Flower, and for a second he swore he almost saw a look of fondness. But just as quickly, the gentle motherly look disappeared from Sun’s eyes as dinner is served. The dinner is extravagant, and Exo takes time to know their sister group Jupiter. They do small talk about business, all the while fishing for information that might come in handy. Bullet wounds, scars, callouses, anything that could determine their status. Kyungsoo tries to keep up, but something about how the conversation was going unnerved him. It only took him a few more seconds did he finally realize that Snow Flower had not spoken a single word. It was a wild card to test how much she knew, but the only chance they had. He had to take it.

 

“So Snow Flower, thinking about extending business to China?” He asks almost casually, sipping some wine as his eyes dart to Snow Flower. There’s a small hum of approval from Suho as Jupiter falters, Star and North glancing a t Snow Flower. The maknae seems stunned at his question, eyes blinking that made Kyungsoo almost want to repeat his question.

 

“I don’t know Earthquake-shii. What is your advice?” She finally says, resting her chin on her hands, long hair falling over her shoulders as she gives him her complete attention. She knows her game, Kyungsoo realized, his heart rate doubling. She’s better trained than he had thought.

 

“Well it depends don’t you think? It should depend on the consumers’ market yes?” He draws the sentence out, swirling his wine, watching as it slightly spills over the edges.

 

“Hmm… Is that so?”

 

Paradox

 

“Yes it is.”

 

Lies

 

“Alliance accepted.” Sun whispers to North and Star who both casually relaxes, fear evident in their eyes. The red wine splashes onto Kyungsoo’s glove, like rose petals in winter, blood on snow. Irony of the Snow Flower. He plasters another smile on his face as he banters on with Snow Flower, running in circles.

 

Paradox Lies

 

 

 

Hellooooooo, Finally haha ;) Here you go guys ^^ SNSD next chapter with some Suju appearance, F(x) and SHINee too.. Look forward! :D