Chapter Three: Normalcy in School?

S a l v a t i o n

Chapter Three: Normalcy in School?

 

“Taeyeon, we’ve got a call incoming!” Sunny called from the control, her fingers tapping impatiently on the keys as Seohyun punched in the verification code, squeaking as she spotted that familiar logo. SJ? She exchanged a guarded glance with Yoona who was leaning against the wall, knowing full well something was wrong. Super Junior rarely called them; sure they were temporary allies but they hardly needed each others’ help. There had always been an unbreachable wall between them, one that consisted of respect and cautiousness. They didn’t disrupt them, they didn’t do that either. They owned China, they shared America, no problem what so ever. So… A call from them was unique, and dangerous.

 

“Sun.”

 

“White.” Taeyeon fell silent, looking and frowning. There was a moment of silence between them, curt, polite, quiet. Like a snake in the long grass waiting for the perfect moment to strike, fast, simple. Deadly.

 

“So, what brings you…?”

 

“I’ve come to talk about a particular one of the brotherhoods. They’ve been rather… troublesome.”

 

“I see, and who are we talking about?”

 

“Exo.”

 

Kyungsoo glanced at Kai’s tie and sighed, grabbing the maknae by his tie and whirling him around. Kai rolled his eyes, but stood at attention, allowing his hyung’s talented fingers to fly over his messy excuse for a knot, re-doing the tie perfectly. Ruffling Kai’s hair affectionately, Kyungsoo grinned before digging around in his bag, searching for his phone. For some reason, it wasn’t there; unless…

 

“Kim Jongin, where is my phone?” Kyungsoo hissed, whipping his head around to glower at the younger who shot a cheeky smile in his direction. Honestly, he really almost had it with the younger. There was that time with his passport when they were rushing to Nan’An for a meeting and he thought he had lost it, and oh gosh, too many incidents to speak off. Narrowing his eyes, he reached forward and pinched the maknae, smirking as Kai began jumping, yelling like a girl, shaking his arm furiously. He rose an eyebrow as Kai finally shoved his phone to him, nursing his arm, pouting. Kyungsoo sighed, shaking his head at Suho, glowering once more at the dark haired mischievous boy. Muttering curses under his breath he ignored all the ‘hyung-I-know-you-love-me’ whispers as he tucked it into his pocket. Getting into the car with Chanyeol, he sighed, leaning against Baekhyun. School, what a funny excuse. He knew everything that he needed to make a living. Break deals? Easy. Handle economics? Easy peasy. Shoot someone in the head and leave no evidence behind? As easy as breathing.

 

“Guys watch out, we have a new student, girl.” Chen announced and Kyungsoo nodded at his hyung as Chen texted everyone the newest information, his fingers a blur on his handphone. Chen was pretty informed about the school activities and always made sure, along with Baekhyun that their attendance on their reports were spotless. Such that even when the teachers knew they truanted, they could never argue that they did because the computer had copied their attendance and marked it present. Chanyeol flipped his laptop around and showed the picture of the girl to Kyungsoo, having hacked the system completely. Kyungsoo glanced up from his phone and his eyes widened. He had seen his share of beautiful girls, cough, but this girl completely went off the book in terms of beauty.

 

She had long lustrous brown hair in curls while her eyes were what Luhan always called 凤眼, pretty cat eyes, not big and attention seeking like his, but more delicate and subtly beautiful. Her nose was a cute little button like one, with red full kissable lips pulled back into a cute sheepish smile in the photograph. Her skin was pale, like the colour of moon beams, fragile and delicate. Kyungsoo gaped before Baekyun smashed into him, turning the laptop around, eyes narrowed as he did a few taps on the keyboard, eyebrows furrowing as he balanced precariously on Kyungsoo’s thigh, his other knee on his own seat. Kyungsoo grunted as BAekhyun accidentally elbowed him in the ribs, rolling his eyes as his hyung flailed his arms around with impatience.

 

“Aha! Got it! Looks like she’s from Seoul, lives somewhere at wait wait, CHANYEOL STOP WRIGGLING I CAN’T SEEEEE ah whoa her results are as good as yours Kyungsoo, no wonder she got the transfer. She lives near City Hall, straight As, you’re in a run for your money Soo, she’s going to get the valedictorian score at this rate.” Kyungsoo stiffened and subtly crossed his legs, jerking Baekhyun off and sending him tumbling to his knees. Baekhyun yelped, falling flat and groaning before shooting Kyungsoo a filthy look which the younger returned with an innocent bat of his eyes.

 

“Oh come on Baekkie, you know better than to make such remarks about the valedictorian scores, Kyungsoo worked super hard for it-”

 

“If you minused away the amount we skipped.” Chen interrupted, sniggering as Baekhyun high-fived Chen.

 

“…” Kyungsoo deadpanned, shooting them a look which sent them quiet immediately. Right, valedictorian scores were one of the most important things to the others. He liked studying because it gave him a break from their brotherhood duties and nightmares. In school he didn’t need to fight with guns, he didn’t need to kill anybody, he didn’t need to look behind his back for anyone to pull the trigger because he actually had friends that wanted to study instead of blow him to pieces. Of course there were the girls too, they weren’t dangerous like SNSD, and were looking for an actual relationship instead of shooting him over dinner with a pistol. Kyungsoo thought drily, shaking his head as the car turned in to his school’s foyer.

 

Stepping out of the car he flipped his fringe, having gotten that habit from Chen. The soft gasps reached his ears and he turned to see a group of juniors staring wide eyed at them. Baekhyun chuckled, slinging an arm around Kyungsoo in a brotherly gesture, waving goodbye to the three eldest hyungs who were headed in the other direction. They were all separated into different levels. Kris Xiumin and Luhan attended the same level, followed by Suho and Lay in another level. That left Kyungsoo with Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Chen, the maknaes naturally together. Their first lesson for today was mathematics, something that made him want to bury in a corner. The only person who liked mathematics was Xiumin. He was more into languages, the fluency of it was something he could never get over. Not to mention the reason why he wanted to speak the valedictorian speech for his hyungs when they graduate this year. They were going to enter college together, pushing back the years until everyone of them had graduated high school.

 

“I really don’t want to go through mathematics…” Kyungsoo sighed, setting down his bag only to stare wide eyed as a bunch of girls whispered, tittering behind their wallets and handphones as they stared in amazement. Okay they were handsome but honestly he didn’t like the stares and the squeals and it was all just really annoying. He wanted to study in peace, peace. The keyword.

 

“Aww don’t be such a cold person Soo. Hello girls~” Baekhyun winked and the girls gasped, and one blushed, turning red as Baekhyun blew a kiss, Chanyeol shooting them an innocent smile while Chen waved. Kyungsoo ignored the comment and shook his head. How girly could his hyung even get? Flipping open his book he began to read. Unfortunately, people had extremely loud voices, especially fans.

 

“Oh gosh, Kyungsoo is so cuteee kyaa~”

 

“He’s so cold, but I love him anyways!”

 

“Have you seen an even more handsome guy ever, like ever?!”

 

Kyungsoo’s grip tightened on his book, irritation sparking in him. He was trying to read for goodness sake, and his hyungs weren’t helping either. With all the winks and just showing off their looks, the crowd outside grew. Even worse still were the girls in the classroom who whispered from across the room. There was a reason why he sat almost completely surrounded by boys. Chen sat beside him on his right while behind was Chanyeol and Baekhyun. The seat in front of him was however, empty. There were several empty seats, and this one was deserted because it was just too easy to get caught fooling around. Not that Kyungsoo minded, he liked, almost thanked for the empty seat. If a girl sat there. Good lord he would pitch himself off the school building. Concentrating on the book, Chen’s nudge in the ribs caught his attention as he looked up, awed by the sudden silence.

 

“I said, if you don’t understand, move.” Kyungsoo almost wanted to applaud the girl for her bravery as she stood in front of the group of fans crowding the door. Dressed in a comfortable skirt with a halter top, her hair cascaded down her back, giving her a sweet, almost easily manipulated look. Until she raised her eyebrow, headphones around her neck and stared straight at them in the eyes. There was a murmur from the student party before the girls mumbled a few apologies and stepped aside. They bowed again as the girl entered the classroom and she faced them, a look of disdain on her face.

 

“Don’t you have lessons?” A few looked like they were going to argue but she pointed a finger in the opposite direction, and calmly said “Go.” There was a split second hesitation before they scurried away, like a mouse having seen a cat. The girl was new, and Kyungsoo exchanged a look with Chen. This was the girl Chen had told them earlier! The new transferee looked around the classroom, frowning at all the seats before easily making her way to the seat in front of Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo waited for some kind of outburst or gushing but all he got was English music that blared from the headphones, sounding a lot like Billionare from Travie Mccoy! Kyungsoo was fascinated, book forgotten as the girl in front crossed her legs, listening to English music. Chen had heard the song too and looked at Kyungsoo before a devilish smirk made a way to his face that made Kyungsoo want to cringe.

 

“Hello, my name is Chen, is that billionare you’re listening to?” Chen tapped her on the shoulder and the girl turned, removing her headphones.

 

“Yeah why?” She asked and Chen grinned like a devil, as Kyungsoo buried himself deeper behind his book. The blow was coming oh gosh he hated his hyungs so much sometimes.

 

“Ah, my friend Kyungsoo here loves Billionare by Travie Mccoy, sings it all the time but he’s a little shy. So have fun talking about the song!” Chen finished, dodging the punch from Kyungsoo and darting to Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s table. Flushing with embarrassment, Kyungsoo rubbed his neck, setting down his book.

 

“Aish this hyung… Mianhaeyo, he’s a little bit of a-”

 

“Troublemaker.” The girl in front of him laughed and Kyungsoo grinned in return, chuckling along. She seemed fine, normal even. Not crazy punching kind like SNSD or fan kind of crazy nutter. She seemed normal, something he hadn’t seen for a long time.

 

“Fan of English music?” Kyungsoo asked curiously, taking a book mark and slotting it between his pages as the girl took off her headphones, keeping them in her bag. She paused at his question before answering back, tone light and friendly that she was. For the next fifteen minutes, they chattered about Bruno Mars and several other artists, exchanging details about themselves. She lived in Seoul, and spoke four languages, much to Kyungsoo’s amazement. She was fluent in English Korean Chinese and Japanese. He himself was only partially fluent in English and Chinese. As the conversation progressed he was amazed at how interested she was in books and languages, as well as studies. Soon they were discussing about economics, something they both found captivating.

 

As she shared her views on the school’s Economics programme, Kyungsoo found himself staring and wistful. She seemed like a nice person, someone who could be his best friend. Always he would have to hang out with his brothers because in the end he couldn’t mix with anyone. But here he was talking with her and they had so many interests. They had a spark of friendship, having enjoyed many of the same things. But he couldn’t trust her Kyungsoo thought sadly as she prattled on as he enjoyed the conversation. Just then their teacher stepped in and they both immediately went quiet as everyone settled back down.  Studious. Kyungsoo thought, smiling secretly to himself as she turned to the front, her table in front of the teacher’s table.

 

“Good morning Miss Kim!” the class chorused as she smiled at them before turning to the girl in front, oh he forgot to ask for her name! How could he be so stupid for one of the top students?! Kyungsoo flushed.

 

“We have a new student with us today, and your name is?”

 

“Suki.” She replied, waving to the class. Instantly the boys sighed and Kyungsoo felt a spark of sadness for her. Looks like Suki’s own personal fan club was starting soon. He could almost feel and taste the fascination in the air. Gosh, even he was fascinated!

 

“Welcome Suki, I am Miss Kim, Kim Taeyeon. Now, how about a little bit of ice breaker to welcome the new girl?”

 

Sigh such a filler and surprised yet? Taeyeon is their math teacher and you are getting close to Kyungsoo as Snow flower /gasps/ Plus, Taeyeon and Lee Teuk are planning something on Exo! Oh no, in actual fact they are this close as teachers and students, maybe even best friends :0