Prologue: Blizzard

S a l v a t i o n

Salvation

 

Prologue: Blizzard

 

It's cold, bitter and biting in Seoul. She's never seen snow like this, so vengeful, so bleak. Shivering, she crowds nearer to the back of the door, near the rubbish chute. Flakes skid across her face, and the wind whips at her eyes, tearing at them as she huddles into a tight ball even more. Her Jeans are old and worn, fraying at the edges. Whimpering, she sends a soft prayer, pulling the fur cloak she had stolen nearer, cramming her legs into an awkward angle under the blanket. She wants something, love, care, food. She wants to see the Next morning. These are her thoughts as an elderly man hobbles towards her, lines crinkling as he gives her a warm smile. He seems nice, even as her mind yells that it’s dangerous, the scent of expensive cologne swirling around as he holds out a hand. Danger is the least concern on her mind as that hand hauls her up. She seeps into the warm embrace as they battle snow, trudging to the black limousine. She eyes it, weighing her chances, evaluating the risks and possibilities. The elder gives her no time to decide as a hankerchief covers her nose, strong young arms restraining her. Her vision grows fuzzy as black spots dance in front of her, the word ‘precaution’ lost somewhere as she finally fades away.

 

“Wake up little one.” A voice soothingly wakes her as she finally blinks open her eyes. Everythinmg is swathed in white, and she props herself up on her elbows, looking at the kind elderly man in front of her. The walls are cream beige, the vurtains a light baby blue, while the only furniture in the room was the one she currently laid on.

 

The bed.

 

Cautiously looking up, she   the starkly contrasting red silk dress, pulling up the sleeve as it slid down her shoulder. The elder said nothing, blowing out puffs of smoke, wrinkled calloused fingers wrapped around a cigarette. Taking a long drag, the elder blew out the grey smoke again, before finally stubbing it out at her bedside table before settling down on the bed. Fear finally struck her as she felt it creep its way into her heart, freezing her up, grip tight. Who was he? What was he here for? Was sge being smuggled into ion? Sold as a pet? Was he going to kill her? Where was she? Questions bombarded her, and she shrank back as the elder leaned forward, tobacco and cologne reeking the room.

 

“Do not fear me child. I am not here to kill you. I am here to give you... An opportunity.” He spoke, voice warm and intimate, a gentle smile on his face as the frightened girl stared at him.

 

“An opportunity?” She whispered faintly, drawing back further. Tha man chuckled fondly at the behaviour. This was unsurprising, and it proved that his decision was well made. He had chosen well.

 

“A chance to live properly, You are not the only one in this world who suffers. This very room has seen my other adopted sons and daughters, all very much like you. I give them a chance to live, a chance to survive the way they want. I create brotherhoods and sisterhoods, many which are sucessful. SJ, SNSD, SHINee, F(X), Exo, all are my adopted children that bear the same uncanny traits like yours. Shrewd business skills. Lonely, scared, calculative, resourceful, needing an escape. Salvation.” The man paused, running a tongue across his lips to wet them as the guirl stared, transfixed at the word. His words, his story.

 

“I offer them what I offer you. Train to be part of the sisterhood, and take your place among tyem. Learn to fight, do business, protect your family. You will learn to fire a gun, hack into soft ware, you will go to school, but most importantly, you will have a home. They will die for you, your sisters. Loyalty, something you will have to return  to them as well. The others might not like you, sibling rivalry and all, but family is still family. Imperfect, but they’ll love you all the same, when it comes to the actual  moment.” He gazed into space, a far away thought, until he snapped out of it, waiting.

 

“You can choose to walk away, but this is the only chance you have.”

 

Standing up, he extended a hand towards the shell-shocked girl. Trembling, the girl finally laid a hand in his palm, shaking with trepidation as he hauled her up. Walking out of the door, words lost in fluid conversation as they made the turn down the hall way, he introduced himself. Mr Lee Soo Man. And just as she’s about o say her name, he shushes her.

 

“You’re Suki now, and you can call me father.”