Chapter 36 - Seeing and Knowing

Monkey Love Fishy II - Forever and Always

 

E POV

            Kyuhyun had been gone for a few days. Even outside my own grief, I realized that he was gone too. We never had so many vacations at once and it sparked my curiosity. Finally, this was something other than just missing Donghae.

            I walked out into the dorms and found that everyone had left. A spark of anger struck me. It felt foreign, this feeling of anything. For so long, I haven’t felt anything. I felt a course of life as I wandered the rooms, calling out everyone’s names.

            “Leeteuk-hyung? Shindong-hyung? Sungmin? Ryeowook? Anyone?” I bit my lip. I knew I may have slept a little longer than usual but that didn’t mean they shouldn’t wake me up. I stomped my foot, angry. I didn’t know why. Normally, I would have been grateful for this rest but today I wanted to work.

            I stormed upstairs and threw open Leeteuk’s room. As I expected, it was empty. I was about to walk outside when I saw something on the dressing table. I raised an eyebrow. Does were the postcards he made me do. Those stupid, lame tasks he had thought up.

            I picked one up and looked at it. The handwriting on the card made my heart stop. All the unhappy memories from before flooded me. My head began to swim. Feverishly, I picked up the other postcards and rifled through them.

            Each one had a date on them. Each was marked month by month, all in a handwriting I knew. My hands shook as I flipped through each postcard. All the tasks were written on them. My heart was going to drop from my mouth.

            I sank onto the floor and my tears smudged the words, blurring them into illegible messes. I tried to wipe at it, but only smeared the ink around. My head was going to burst. I couldn’t wrap my head around this.

            Flashes of anger coursed through my veins. There was a scuffle and I looked up. Leeteuk-hyung stood there with Kyuhyun next to him. The two of them looked as if they were talking about some secret. Kyuhyun’s face paled when he saw the postcards around me. So he knew about this too. That bastard.

            I stood up and swayed there mechanically. Kyuhyun clered his throat and Leeteuk looked at me. “Ah, I see, you’re here. We left early because we had to go to our schedules and you look really tired and all that so I decided to just let you-”

            “You all lied to me.”

            Kyuhyun didn’t even react. He had the gall to keep a straight face. “You all lied to me and told me he was dead! But he’s clearly not because you all have his letters right here. All these months, you’ve been laughing at me. You’ve been laughing at me and making fun of me behind my back. I’m such an idiot.”

            I advanced forward and Kyuhyun stepped to the front. “You’re right. I lied to you. We all lied to you. But it has nothing to do with you. It has to do with Donghae and his wishes. He got on the wrong plane that day. But he wanted to stay away. The company planned for him to have another schedule. He’s filming an international drama, using Donghwa as his substitute in case anyone asks questions.

            “He’s doing this because of LeiLei. He knew she was going to contact the paparazzi and so he left. He wanted to give you five months time to get over him. And so he left. Yoona and I have been trying to track him down. We’re going to go to Brazil next time. We’re going to get him back.”

            I laughed. It was my first time laughing in months and it was not only maniacal but it was loud. “So you kept me in the dark for so long.”

            He nodded. “I’m sorry you had to find out this way but I had to accept Donghae’s wishes. He’ll be back. It’s the fourth month. I promise.”

            I shook my head and walked out of the room, completely speechless.

K POV

            I knew Yoona and I were running out of time. Now that Eunhyuk knew, we no longer had to be secretive about it. Donghae’s newest postcard came in. I didn’t dare show it to Eunhyuk even though he knew. I didn’t want him coming with us to Brazil before we were able to talk to Donghae.

            I told Yoona everything that had happened and she sighed. “I guess we’ll really have to find him this time.”

            We were quiet for a while and then Yoona whispered, “Kyuhyun?”

            “Hmm?”

            “I’m thankful for you.”

            I was glad we were only on the phone so she couldn’t see the tears that suddenly sprang in my eyes. “I love you, Yoong.”