Chapter 2

North Light

Chapter 2

 

In the plane

“Mdm, do you need a blanket for your son?” a friendly air stewardess asked. “Yes please, thank you so much.” Ga eul replied.  Ga eul looked at her son’s sleeping face and sighed.  “You look more and more like him with each passing day. Is that a good or bad thing?” she said while touching her son’s face gently.

 

8 years ago

Ga eul POV

“Ga eul ah, he is going to come back tomorrow, aren’t you going to see him?” asked Jan Di, who had been my friend and support through all these years. “Anniyo. He is going to come find me, it’s what he promised.”  I laughed. Deep down inside I wasn’t certain myself whether if he is coming to find me. “I really don’t understand what is going on with you guys.” Jan di sighed. I shrugged my shoulders and laughed. “I’m going off now, see you tomorrow guys.” I said heartily.

At home

‘Are you really coming back tomorrow? Are you going to keep your promise?’ I thought, lying on my bed. As I looked up at my ceiling I tried back to hold back my tears but to no avail. During the 4 years, he had never called or even sent me a text. During the first few months, I was angry and disappointed. But I understand that he is not there for holiday and he has no reason or whatsoever to call me. Who am I to him? A friend? I laughed to myself.  I finally made a decision that if he doesn’t find me tomorrow, it means that he has forgotten about me and the promise and I’m going to stop waiting for him. At least now, I would have no regrets and can move on with life.

Suddenly, my phone rang. “Lee Kwang Hee” was shown on the caller ID. Kwang Hee is a very close friend of mine in university, we both major in interior design. I quickly wiped my tears and answered with a nasal voice “Hello?”. A nice and soothing voice on the other side of the call responded with a hint of concern “Ga eul onni? Are you sick, why does your voice sound like this?”. I laughed and said, “Anniyo, I’m just tired. Why did you call so late? Is there anything wrong?”. “Yeah, there is some problem with the design that we did. Could you come tomorrow and take a look?” He asked. “But tomorrow I have something very important on… Is it really very urgent?”  “Yes, it is. But it will only just take no more than an hour to finish. So please onni… I really need your help.” Kwang Hee pleaded. I had no choice but to say yes as he is a very close little brother of mine. It is just 1 hour and we planned it to be hours before he reaches. ‘It’s going to be fine’ I thought.

 

Yi Jung POV

“Young Master, there is a change of plans tomorrow. The flight tomorrow is cancelled due to technical difficulties. The only available flight is tonight at 11pm or the day after tomorrow at 4pm.” Housekeeper Yu asked. “Change it to today then.” I said. ‘That’s even better, I can see my Ga eul sooner’ he thought and laughed to himself.  “Hyung, do you think that Ga eul will like this?” I asked as I held out a necklace with a blue sapphire hanging on it. “Yes young master, I think that she would like it very much.” Housekeeper Yu replied. I bought this when I was at a jewelry show.  It’s called “North Light”; it symbolizes a light emerging from the dark. It is what she is, a bright light that pulled me out of the darkness. I finally reached the airport on time to catch the flight. “Young master, here is your ticket.” Housekeeper Yu said handing me my passport and ticket. “Thanks.” I replied. “Dear passengers, plane A19XXXXXXK is now open for boarding. Thank you for your attention.”  After a long flight of 10 hours, I finally touched down. It was around 2am Korean time. I stretched my body and exclaimed “I’m back!”

At the pottery studio

“Hyung, did you ask people to clean the place? I said not to touch my studio right? Why is it so clean?” I asked coldly. “Aniyo, I haven’t asked people to clean it since we left. Also, the key is left with Ji Hoo young master. Maybe you could ask him?” Housekeeper Yu replied. “Arraso. Hyung can leave now. I want to rest a bit.” I said before lying on my bed. ‘Ga eul ah, are you fine all these years? Have you found your one and only soul mate?’ I took the necklace which was in my hand and hover it next to the window. It sparkled softly in the dim light. ‘See you tomorrow.” I gave the necklace a peck and went to sleep.

 

Author's note: What do you think will happen in the next chapter? Will they meet?