Summer

It Took Four Seasons
Chapter 2: Summer
 
"At the first moment of a lover's encounter, 
there's an affirmation of love."
 
 
 
 
It was the month of June, the holidays had arrived and school was out. Kai and I were happily together, nothing could break us. I never knew he would make such a great boyfriend. Every morning, he appeared beside my bed without fail with a cup of my favourite frappe in his hands. He would bring me to the fanciest cafes and if he didn't have enough money, cook a meal for me at home. We often had sleepovers, and had pillow fights (usually until the feathers would fly out), then when we eventually grew tired, we would sleep on the same bed, and he would hug me to sleep. My parents didn't mind us sleeping together as long as Kai's mind was clear. (If you know what I mean) and I trusted him, because he loved me for my looks and personality, not my appeal. 
 
"I love you." Kai whispered. We were seated on the beach, watching the waves flow, watching the sunset. 
 
"What were we we a month ago?" I laid on his lap, as he played with my hair.
 
"Blind." Kai laughed. Yes, we were blind, too blind to even see that we loved each other. 
 
I laughed along, smiling as I said, "Yeah, we were."
 
"I love you." Kai caressed my face.
 
"I love you too." I smiled at him.
 
We spent our holidays together. We played childish games in the park, went to grocery stores to play in them, went to the movies together, rode amusement park rides together and we even rushed our holiday projects in the last week together. We spent every second, together. It was just like before as best friends, but now as lovers.
 
July arrived, and school came as well. It was the first day of school, and Kai was sleeping over again.
 
"Soo Jung, wake up." I felt somebody shaking me. 
 
I opened my eyes and Kai was sitting next to me on my bed, trying to wake me up.
 
"What time is it?" My morning voice came out, Kai smirked at me for a moment then checked his watch.
 
"9:00AM," Kai replied.
 
"9:00am?!" i screamed. We're late! School started at 9:20AM and it took 30 minutes to get to school from my house.
 
"Chill. The discipline master won't do anything. He'll just stare at us and tell us not to be late again." Kai laughed.
 
"Then, it'll be recorded into the book, and I won't be able to get to university!" I was now panicking and whipping out clothes from my cupboard.
 
Kai laid on her bed,"You're overreacting." 
 
"No I'm not." I grabbed my clothes and went into the toilet to change.
 
"And besides, there's only half a day of lessons due to the school's anniversary event." Kai stretched his hands out and yawned. We had stayed up all night playing video games. 
 
I came out, with my hair in a mess. 
 
"What event?!" I screamed again.
 
"The school's anniversary.." Kai mumbled, shocked at my response.
 
"! I'm screwed, so screwed!" I paced up and down the room.
 
"Why? Hey calm down and talk to me Soo Jung." Kai stood up and stopped me by holding both my shoulders with his hands.
 
"I-I was supposed to find a back-up dancer for the dance club because they are performing today but I totally forgot!" I cried.
 
Kai looked at her worriedly,"I can fill in." He looked away.
 
"Really? Like seriously? I thought you said you hated the dance club?" I turned to him, asking.
 
"For you, it's fine." Kai muttered.
 
"Oh my gosh, I love you so much! Thank you!" I ran up to him and hugged him, relieved.
 
Kai smiled and pat her head,"But you better treat me to dinner after that." 
 
I nodded her head profusely and smiled again.
 
"Love you." Kai pecked my lips and rushed out to the dance club for practice.
 
 
 
Time passed faster than anything, it was already the month of August. Krystal quit the library club, and joined the vocal club. Now, she wasn't a nobody. In fact, she was popular. Turns out, she could sing like an angel. Everyone knew her as the singer, the popular girl, and of course Kai's girlfriend. Kai, on the other hand, remained as a dancer but he had joined the dance club after the school's anniversary event. It seemed subtle, but Kai was spending lesser time with Krystal. There were lesser sleepovers, shorter phone calls and lesser outings together. But Krystal didn't realise, at least it was too small of a difference for her to realise. Maybe next time, she would. Kai had gotten extremely popular, he would even receive love letters from strangers in his locker on some days. Krystal, as well, had gotten busy. Due to her vocal classes, she reached home very late everyday and always had a sore throat the next day.
 
"Krystal? Are you okay? Your throat seems to hurt a lot." Kai walked beside her and asked.
 
They were walking to school together, early in the morning.
 
"Yeah, I'm fine. Yesterday, the vocal trainer stayed up till 12 with me, practicing. So, I'm kinda super tired now." Krystal explained,"But nevermind me, what about you? How's the dance practice for end of the year coming along?" Krystal smiled.
 
"It's good, but there's some idiot in the group who can't coordinate his dance moves though." Kai scowled,"If he continues like that, we'll have to kick him out."
 
"Well you don't have to kick him out, maybe just try to teach him?" Krystal was shocked by his words, when did he get so...cocky?
 
"Believe me I tried, he's so fat that he can't even balance." Kai laughed.
 
"That's not nice." Krystal glared at Kai.
 
She was once 100kg. It wasn't nice.
 
The stares.
 
The gossiping.
 
The constant laughing at the back of her head.
 
"But it's true." Kai glared back.
 
"Whatever, let's just get to school." Krystal's eyes were a little teary after thinking of her experience in high school. She significantly remembered Kai as the guy who saved her. The bullies were stuffing her in a locker again. Kai saw them and beat them up. He didn't say or word to me, couldn't even manage a smile. All he said was,"Be more careful next time." 
 
But at least he cared.
 
What has happened to him? What happened to the friendly, nice, loving and caring Kai? 
 
 
Mid way through August, the hot weather settled in. The distance between the couple became more obvious. Kai stopped sleeping over at her house and they only went out once a week. Krystal was thinking of joining a vocal academy to be a singer, but it was still at the back of her head. Kai had grown out of the dance club, and continued to join a dance academy, where he could 'fully display his talents.' 
 
Somehow, it seemed like their ambitions had taken over their love for each other. 
 
And strangely, summer didn't feel as warm as spring.