Chapter 8

The Breaking
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Where Namjoon took them was not at all what Jungkook had been expecting, especially after seeing the brutality that other three offered in battle.

As they walked through the forest the teen kept sneaking glances at the dark boy beside him, Namjoon talking quietly but familiarly with Jin. Jungkook was unsure really of what to think of him, but he could admit that he was unsure of them all, especially after what had happened early that night. His mind kept travelling back to Taehyung's blood covered hands as he had pulled them from lifeless body after lifeless body, and Jungkook found that his gaze kept landing on the blond boy.

Taehyung's back was stiff in front of them as if he could feel Jungkook's looks, and Hoseok had placed a hand on the younger boy's shoulder as if to calm him. In a bitter moment Jungkook wondered if Hoseok was using power on Taehyung to control him, but as soon as he had thought it his mind wandered back to only a few weeks ago when the healer had eased his own pain. 

He just... didn't know what to think! He knew in his heart that killing was wrong, but in defense of his own life he had killed and found no regret. The thing that had him so confused was that they had killed even after the soldiers had tried to run, but... was that so wrong? Jin was probably right; had they not killed them then, the same soldiers would have just come after them again, better prepared to face their abilities. The image of blood soaked hands just wouldn't leave his mind, though, whatever he did.

A hand dropped a gentle touch to his wrist, and he looked up to se Hoseok in front of him, a hesitant smile on his face. "We're here..." he looked like he was going to continue with his usual 'little one' but stopped, his face twisting for a moment in frustration. Jungkook could tell that he wasn't the only one unsure of how to act after the battle. He forced a smile onto his face and nodded in thanks, looking around to take in the unexpected sight.

The place Namjoon had taken them to, the place that he had said was 'waiting for them', turned out to be a small traditional style village. There were animals and a few crops, and mainly older people standing in the doorways to watch their arrival, even though the sun was not yet up. The first hints of sunrise were on the horizon but that didn't explain why the whole village was awake, nor why they were walking straight into it when they were fugitives.

The nerves built inside of Jungkook as a man appearing to be in his late forties approached them, his steps faltering for a moment when he took in the anger and apprehension on the young teen's face. He held both hands out from his body, palms facing Jungkook, and said, "We are friends of the Broken. You have nothing to fear from us, Chosen One."

Chosen One? Friends of the Broken? What the hell was going on here? Jungkook looked at Jin for an answer but the older boy was speaking happily with a young girl about his age, and after quickly looking around Jungkook found that he was the only one still standing there, his companions all heading in different directions with villagers beside them.

"I..." He stuttered, looking back to the smiling man in confusion. "What?"

The man's smile slipped a bit as he let out a sigh. "I suppose they didn't tell you anything. Come, please," he held out a hand and Jungkook took a step back; the last adults he had trusted were his parents, and they had sold him out and allowed him to be taken to be tortured and used. How was he supposed to trust this stranger? "Please," the man said, quieter but a bit more firmly, "Trust me. Or at least come inside; the sun i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter