Chapter 18 END

The Breaking
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Machine guns fired all around, the armor on the vehicle keeping the bullets out but not the sound. The truck swerved hard to the right and Taehyung fought for control; a tire had been shot out and the large truck was threatening to flip. Jungkook’s breath caught in his throat but then the blond got them going again, and the teen remembered to breathe again. He was sitting in the farther back seat now, using his rifle to shoot any pursuing soldiers. Taehyung would certainly have preferred someone who was more willing to kill to have the rifle, but Jungkook held onto it with both hands and had firmly refused to give it up.

They had made it to the gate of the City fine, and while they were opening it for the returned military truck, an officer came out of the guardhouse. He had frowned when he saw the truck and right then Taehyung had growled something about holding on; before they could be surrounded and questioned, he slammed his foot down onto the accelerator and the truck had surged ahead, through the open gates and into the City. Gunfire had sounded right away, and then an alarm, but the truck had the surprise and barreled through the out section of the City and around a corner. Immediately Taehyung had stopped and backed the truck into an alley, ordering everyone to get out and make for the Block covertly, but then he looked to Jungkook and told him to give Jin the rifle. There was no way he was about to part with his only chance of making a difference, and so when Taehyung drove the truck out of the alleyway and into the street once again, Jungkook clung to the handle by the back door and tried to stay in his seat. 

The pursuing soldiers had immediately focused on the truck, giving chase as Taehyung had said they would and letting the Broken move without notice to the Block. Jungkook only hoped there weren’t split forces, but the other boy had been adamant that they would all be after the vehicle.

Now it seemed that he was right, Jungkook firing back as the jeeps chasing them rattled off their own artillery. Jungkook’s finger pressed the trigger and the gun gave a hollow click, and after digging around he came up with no more ammunition. He had used it all, even the ones taken from the soldiers who Hyosung had killed.

“Taehyung, I’m out!” He called up front, but received no answer. Standing and moving carefully to the front, trying his best not to lose his footing as the truck bounced along, he slipped into the passenger seat beside the blond. 

“I’m out of ammo.”

“I heard you.”

‘Then maybe you ought to reply,’ Jungkook thought, though he suddenly realized that he was sitting beside the one Broken he didn’t get along with very well… and who, without Jungkook’s power against him, could kill him easily. And so he kept his mouth shut, only buckling his seatbelt around him as he stared straight ahead, trying to ignore the gunfire behind them. The buildings that flashed by them changed from houses to more industrial plants, and then the teen could see tall black spires raising up from the building ahead of them.

“I know this place…” the words slipped out of his mouth before he could stop them, but to his surprise Taehyung smiled and nodded.

“The Block. We drove all over this damned City, but the others should be here by now.”

As the truck crossed into the parking lot of the huge facility, the blond reached over and unbuckled Jungkook’s seatbelt. “What are you…” the teen began, but before he could finish the question Taehyung released the steering wheel and lunged over to grab onto him, the force of his jump shoving Jungkook out of his seat. The phaser used his power then and they went straight through the passenger door and instead of hitting the pavement, they went through that too. The speed of their fall didn’t slow one bit, and they passed through the asphalt and concrete to fall into a long white corridor. Taehyung let him go as they hit the floor, and Jungkook groaned and rolled away from him to stand to his wobbly feet.

Reality seemed to strike him then, and panic with it; he knew this place all too well. His mind flashed back to several months ago, to the times when soldiers would drag him through these halls by the chains on his wrists, only to take him to be tortured. A shudder ran through his body and he turned as the urge to be sick came over him, but then he choked it away and stood up straight.

“I am not Broken,” he said, though the word conveyed a whole new meaning in his mind. They had tried their best to break his spirit, to break his mind; they had broken his body and they had broken into his power, but he was here and ready to fight. They hadn’t broken him.

The two moved quietly thro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter