Chapter 5

The Foreign Exchange Student

You followed closely next to Jihae on the way to homeroom. As the two of you entered the classroom, Sangchul immediately came over. He was talking too quickly for you to understand, but you could pick up on a few words like "friends" and "introduce". Jihae looked annoyed, but finally turned to you.
"This is Sangchul," she waved her hand at him, looking bored, "he really wanted to meet you." Her tone was monotonous, but Sangchul looked excited.
"Annyeong!" he grinned with a salute, "Remember me?" You smiled and nodded politely.
"So, where's Woohyun?" asked Jihae.
"Oh, him? He just needs some time to cool off," answered Sangchul. The mention of Woohyun's name made you feel a little flustered, but you relaxed once you noticed he wasn't in the room.
"Cool off? What did you do to him?" asked Jihae.
"Nothing!" Sangchul protested. "Come on, I'll tell you once we're sitting down." The three of you found a spot to sit by the window, and to your surprise, you could see Woohyun eating alone in the courtyard. He looked miserable, even from this distance.
"Wow, what did you do to him?" Jihae asked again.
"Hey! Who said I did anything?" he answered.
"Oh, please. You're his best friend. Anyone who has to stick around you all day is sure to get pissed off at some point or another," she said. Sangchul looked defeated.
"Well, I... kind of, sort of mentioned Hwayoung earlier, and -"
"Tch! No wonder," Jihae was about to go on, but noticed the guilt on Sangchul's face. She decided not to make him feel any worse, and grew impatient at her own kindness. Trying your best to follow along with the conversation, you decided to join in.
"Did... Hwa-Young make him sad?" you asked.
"No, Hwayoung didn't make him sad," answered Jihae, "Stupid Sangchul made him mad." Sangchul threw her a dirty look. "Hwayoung is Woohyun's ex-girlfriend. You know 'girlfriend'?" You nodded, familiar with that term. "Yes, she is not his girlfriend anymore," she said, shaking her head and forming the letter 'X' with her hands.
"Oh..." you looked at Woohyun through the window, not knowing what to think. "Should we go cheer him up?"
"Nah, he'll get over it," answered Jihae, waving her hand, "It was a long time ago. For now, let's eat. I'm starving!"

The three of you enjoyed lunch as you got to learn more about Sangchul and Jihae. For someone who seemed really childish, Sangchul was very patient and friendly toward you. You told them about the host family you were staying with, how they were just a normal couple with no kids. You described how they owned a funny cat who liked to sit on the fence in the morning. Sangchul mentioned knowing a cat like that who lived by Woohyun, but he didn't think it could be the very same. He tried to learn some basic Japanese with you and Jihae, but couldn't pick up on it very quickly.
Jihae and Sangchul decided to turn the tables and help you with your Korean instead. You learned new terms, which would come in handy when you worked on your homework later.
Jihae offered to work on it with you, inviting you over to her house after school. She told you how her room was filled with posters of the J-Rock group you both loved, and that she'd be willing to give you one if you liked. She also wanted you to meet her Shiba Inu named 'Edo'. "He's the rowdiest little thing," she said cheerfully, "you'll love him."

Everything was going well, until Jihae noticed your troubled expression. She followed your gaze to see that you were looking at Woohyun.
"Don't worry about him. He'll be fine, okay?" she tried to reassure you.
"Yes, but he helped me find my class. I'd like to return the favor, somehow."
"That's nothing," Sangchul piped in, "he only helped you because he had to. Forget about him." You felt disappointed, and looked back down to your lunch. Am I just a burden to him?, you thought. Jihae saw the look on your face.
"Sangchul!" Jihae hissed, pinching his arm, and he cried out in pain.
"What was that for?!"
"Don't say things like that," she whispered, as you continued to eat your lunch. "For one, I get that the two of you are on bad terms right now, but the last thing this girl needs is to think that people are only being kind to her because they were told to be."
"Alright, alright... I got it." Sangchul answered, rubbing his arm with a sour expression. You looked up at them, oblivious to what they were just talking about.
"Woohyun is a very friendly and helpful person," explained Jihae. "I'll help you think of a way to return the favor, but for now, please stop worrying so much. You should be enjoying your first day here, okay?" You smiled at her thoughtfulness, and decided there was nothing to worry about. You'd have plenty of chances to thank Woohyun, there was no reason to rush it.

Lunch hour had ended, and it was time for the last class of the day. Jihae asked to see your schedule, and groaned.
"Good luck, I hate math," she said, handing the paper back to you.
"Why do you hate math?" you asked curiously.
"I'm bad at it," answered Jihae.
"Does that mean you hate every other class too?" Sangchul laughed. His laughing ceased as Jihae gave him a threatening look.
"You'd better watch it, or I'll tell the teacher about how you copied my homework."
She turned to you. "Sangchul and I share the same science class, which is next. Since it's in the opposite direction, we can't show you how to get to your class, or else we'll be late." She apologized, but made sure to tell you directions. The two of them waved goodbye to you, planning to meet you in homeroom before school was over. You waved back, and made your way to class.