Chapter 3

The Foreign Exchange Student

During the second class of the day, you were feeling more confident about your new school. It was science class, your favorite subject, and you had fit in with the classmates right away. Most of the credit went to the teacher, who seemed to have a crazy and fun side. In order to make you feel more welcome, he played a game with the students that involved sitting atop their desks, and passing an inflatable globe around. The goal was to name the climate of the area your right pointer-finger covered. It was a lot of fun, and to make things easier, he had written the possible climates on the board, so you got to practice your Hangul as well. The class went by rather quickly, and suddenly it was time to go to the third class. Only one more class to go, you thought, and then I can meet up with Jihae!
You looked down at your schedule and deciphered the Hangul to see that your next class was gym. You started to feel nervous again, feeling self-conscious about being in the locker room with other girls. The gym class was located on an annex, which meant you had to leave the school to get to the building. You made your way through the school's double-doors, and up the stairs that led to the annex building. On your way up, you caught sight of the previous class leaving the locker rooms. The door to the boys' locker room opened, and several students walked out, followed by Sangchul and Woohyun. They were in the middle of a conversation, but Sangchul's speech subsided as you and Woohyun made eye contact. You smiled shyly, and Woohyun waved as Sangchul watched the two of you carefully. The last thing you caugh sight of was him putting an arm around Woohyun's shoulders, whispering something in his ear as the two of them walked away. Unfortunately, that made you feel even more self-conscious.

As you entered the locker room, you noticed the teacher's office to your right. You entered cautiously, introducing yourself to the lady sitting at the computer. She jumped up from her chair and welcomed you immediately, explaining that if you ever needed anything, you could come to her. Her warmth and reassurance comforted you, and she handed you the combination to your gym locker. You fumbled as you tried to undo the lock. Someone tapped on your shoulder, and you turned around. It was Jihae!
"Looks like we're in the same class together. That's great!" she said, ruffling your hair. You gave a small chuckle and put your bag in the locker. "I'll meet you inside," she said, heading toward the gymnasium. You quickly changed into your gym uniform, fixed your hair and left the locker room.

Gym class was not your strength. To put it mildly, you were a klutz. It was a good thing that you and Woohyun did not share the same gym class, because it would be embarrassing if he were to see you trip. There were students from different grades lining up on the gymnasium floor. Jihae waved you over, telling you to sit behind her. Once everyone was lined up, the teachers came out from the locker rooms. The students fell silent as they answered one-by-one to the roll call. Everyone did their stretches, after which the teachers directed them to jog around the gymnasium for five minutes. Jihae paced herself next to you, and the two of you had some time to talk.

"So, why'd the teacher make you stay behind?" she asked, hoping you'd understand what she was saying. After much broken Japanese on her part, you managed to understand her question. You explained that Woohyun was assigned to help you for the semester, and that the other boy named Sangchul had to clean the room. Jihae laughed as you mentioned the second part. "Serves him right," she said under her breath. She told you about herself through the best Japanese that she could, throwing in some Korean here and there. You appreciated her effort in Japanese, even correcting her in parts that she struggled with. She returned the favor by helping you with your Korean. You asked her why she started learning Japanese, and she excitedly explained how she wanted to go to Japan one day, to see her favorite J-Rock group perform. She asked you if you knew her favorite group, much to your excitement. You told her how they were your favorite J-Rock group too, but you've never been able to go to their concerts either. Jihae was so happy to find a friend who enjoyed listening to the same group as her, and the two of you made a pact to see them live, together.

The rest of class took place outside, where your class took part in playing soccer against the other class. Jihae was surprisingly good at the sport, and you marveled at her ability to speed past the other team members. After a long game in the sun, class was finally over, and everyone went back to the locker rooms to freshen up.
"We have lunch next," said Jihae, "I like to eat in homeroom with the guys, but if you'd like, we can eat in the courtyard."
"I think I'm done being outside," you said. Jihae agreed, and the two of you made your way back to the school, thoroughly exhausted and hungry.