Chapter 2

The Foreign Exchange Student

"So, was I right? Isn't she cute?" Sangchul asked Woohyun during gym class. "Huh, huh? Isn't she?" he teased, poking Woohyun all over.
"Stop it," Woohyun demanded. Sangchul laughed and went back to pulling up grass. The two of them were sitting behind the bleachers, avoiding the sun and the teacher, watching the other students do their activities.
"Man, at least you get to talk to a girl as your 'punishment'. I have to be stuck in a musty room with our scary teacher, cleaning up after your mess." he complained, jabbing Woohyun's shoulder.
"It's your fault," said Woohyun, "I told you to leave me alone. I have no sympathy for you."
"Wah! You're such a jerk, Woohyun," cried Sangchul, throwing dirt at his leg. "At least my plan is in motion."
"What plan?" asked Woohyun.
"You're talking to her. I guess pretty soon you'll have to introduce her to us," he explained, "But me first, since it was my idea after all," he added quickly.
"No way, if you want to talk to her, you can introduce yourself."
"I can't do that! I don't know any Japanese," whined Sangchul.
"Then why do you want me to introduce you? You'll just end up sitting there like a rock."
"Agh! I will not," he pouted. "Hey, I saw her and Jihae getting friendly with each other. Maybe I'll bug her to help me."
"Good luck, you know how much Jihae despises you. Ever since that incident with-"
"Don't bring it up! Besides, that was long ago. Anyone with a heart or soul would've forgiven me by now. ...Oh. I guess that means she hasn't." Sangchul grew quiet, and Woohyun rolled his eyes.

They heard the teacher's shrill whistle, informing them that class was almost over.
"I guess we should get out there and make it look like we've done something," suggested Woohyun. He quite enjoyed gym class, but on days like this, he'd rather sit in the shade than sweat in the hot sun. The two of them reluctantly moved out from behind the bleachers, blending in with the students that ran past them. They made quite an effort to look exhausted, and panted loudly as they reached the teacher, longing to go back inside and get on with the day.