Chapter 4

The Foreign Exchange Student

"Hey, she has gym the same time as Jihae," Sangchul whispered in Woohyun's ear, putting an arm around his shoulders, "Do you think that means she has the same lunch as us?"
"Please don't touch me," said Woohyun, "And perhaps..."
"Well, aren't you the least bit excited?!" Sangchul asked, taking his arm off of Woohyun, "I saw the way she looked at you. And yet you stood there, like a dummy, waving at her like a lost cause. Oh! If only I knew Japanese, then I'd swiftly steal her heart with my charm and good looks. Oh! How youth is wasted on you, Woohyun. Oh! Why must you-"
"Oh! Be quiet," Woohyun mocked. He was secretly excited about the possibility of eating lunch with you, but he didn't want to entertain Sangchul with the idea.
"Well, I guess it's up to Jihae, then." Sangchul sighed, "If Jihae befriends her, then we might have a chance. I mean, I can't count on you, that's pretty clear. I wonder if Jihae..." He trailed off as they climbed down the stairs heading toward the school's entrance.
"Why are you so obsessed with her anyway?" asked Woohyun.
"What? I'm not obsessed with Jihae! Don't say things like that," said Sangchul, growing red in the face.
"Not Jihae, the new girl. Why are you bothering me so much about her?" Woohyun grew impatient. The idea of you and Sangchul together bothered him, but he didn't know why.
"Oh. I'm not obsessed with her either. I just think..." he paused, "I think it would be good for you to get out of your shell again. No offense, and I bring this up in the lightest way possible, but... Ever since you broke up with Hwayoung, you've been so... empty. It's hard to joke around with you these days, man." Woohyun wished Sangchul hadn't brought up his ex-girlfriend. That had nothing to do with anything, and the thought of her made him angry.
"Hwayoung has nothing to do with this," he snapped, "I don't even think about her anymore.The reason I'm serious is because I've grown tired of your terrible jokes. Just leave me alone, Sangchul. I don't want to talk to you right now." Woohyun finished blaming Sangchul right as they reached Sangchul's next class. The look on Sangchul's face dropped, but he quickly recovered.
"Alright," he shrugged, "Suit yourself." He went into the classroom, leaving Woohyun feeling rather alone and pathetic in the hallway.

 


 

Maybe I was too harsh on him, thought Woohyun. He was feeling regretful for snapping at Sangchul. All Sangchul was trying to do was tell him the truth, but Woohyun had gone and lost his patience, basically telling him to 'get lost'. Well, he still didn't have to bring up Hwayoung... He ran a hand through his hair, feeling sleepy from the teacher's droning speech.
"Woohyun... Woohyun?... Nam Woohyun!" Woohyun's head shot up as his teacher shouted his name. "Nam Woohyun, you need to sit up and pay attention," she scolded. A few students giggled, and she hushed them. "Now, to solve the equation for..."
Woohyun proceeded to take notes, writing down the math equations in his notebook. His mind wandered as he counted, and the image of your face popped up between the numbers. He shook his head, trying to push you out of his mind, but failed to do so. He relaxed, wondering how gym class was going for you at the moment. He wondered if Jihae had actually befriended you, and if the two of you would get along well. He wondered all of these things, and zoned out again.
The teacher slapped his hand hard with her ruler.
"Ouch!" he cried, massaging his hand.
"You're not paying attention, Woohyun. As a result, I'm assigning you three pages of the workbook, and I expect to see it finished by tomorrow." Woohyun sat up, and reluctantly took out his workbook. The teacher circled the page numbers, and handed it back to him. He quietly sighed, berating himself for being so out of it today. When class ended, he stayed behind to apologize to the teacher.
"It's not like you to be this scatter-brained, Woohyun," she said.
"I know. I'm sorry for causing you trouble. I promise it won't happen again." he said with a bow.
"I would hope not." she gave him an apprehensive look as he left the classroom.

Woohyun was not looking forward to lunch hour, because it meant seeing Sangchul. Still feeling guilty for snapping at him, Woohyun decided to eat his lunch in the courtyard, deciding that the fresh air and solitude would be good for him.