Kai&Krystal; The protector

Please Don't Go

Present

“1 mango green tea and 1 Oolong milk tea with extra bubble please.” Soojung orders at the counter as she waits for the drinks.

“Here your drink.” The worker with straight black hair says as she hands the drink with smile on her face.

“Thanks.” Soojung says as she smiles back at her.

She looks around, searching for an empty seat. She then spots an empty table with two seats at the corner. She put the drinks on the table. Soojung looks around again, with her hands on her hips. She frowns a bit. She lets out a sigh as she couldn’t find the one she’s looking for. She sits down as she drinks her mango green tea. She pulls out her phone from the back of her jeans, scrolling down, searching for a name.

Suddenly a guy with blonde hair takes a seat in front of her. She looks up, about to get mad when she can see there is bruises on his left cheek.

“Omo. What happened to you Jongin-ah?” she asks, looks worried.

“Nothing.” He put his hand on his left cheek. Try to cover the bruises. He’s frowning a bit. It must be painful.

“You got hit? Who the hell dare to hit my friend here huh. Tell me! I’ll punch him back.” She says as she slams the table. She gets up from her seat. Jongin quickly pulls her wrist, prevents her from getting up.

“It doesn’t matter. It’s my fault anyway.” He says, releasing Soojung’s wrist. He takes his cold Oolong milk tea and put it on his bruises. Try to reduce the swelling. Soojung looks at him with a questioning face.


Flashback;Kai’s POV

I got up quickly when the class just ended. I just shoved the books into my bag. I looked at Soojung who’s sitting beside me was taking time tidy up her things.

My gazed was fixed on a girl I’ve been watching for a while. She’s quite tall, with wavy brown hair. Her eyes were so beautiful that I think I could just melt by her staring. She looked feminine too. Overall, she was my ideal type. I am determined that I wanted to ask for her phone number this time. I jumped over the table, to get to the door of the lecture hall as soon as possible.

“Yah Kim Jongin! Where are you going?” My friend, Jung Soojung shouted at me as she saw me leaving her behind.

“Just wait for me at the Bubble Tea café. I’ll see you there.” I shouted back as I waved my hands at her.

I kept following my ideal girl who’s walking a few feet away from me. I tried to talk to her but she was talking to her friends. She didn’t even realize I was right behind her. She stopped as she arrived at her locker. This is my chance, I thought.

“Anneyong Seohyun-sshi.” I finally got the chance to talk to her. My heart was jumping in joy. She turned to me, but she had this blank face on her. She frowned a bit.

“Ahh I am Kim Jongin. We are in the same class for Culture Studies.” I explained.

"Oh..anneyonghaseyo." She just bowed at me. Then she turned back to the locker as she was trying to unlock it.

“Are you free today?” I asked, try hitting on her. I leaned my side at the locker, looking straight at her. Waiting for her answer.

“I am sorry. But..I don’t think so.” She said politely as she tucked her hair behind her right ear.

“Oh it’s okay. I am cool.” I was disappointed. 

She was about to turn around when I handed her a piece of paper with my number on it. She looked at the paper, then looked at me back. She might be confused.

“Call me when you’re free.” I said as I put the sweetest smile I ever had.

She just stared at me weirdly, then chuckled a bit. She was about to take the paper when I heard a voice behind my back,

“Are you hitting on my girlfriend?”

I turned around to see a guy who was about my height, but a bit shorter maybe. Also, I could see he was fuming inside.

“I—I am.. ”  Before I could even explain, I fell hard on the floor. I got punched by that guy.


Present 

“hahahaha..” Soojung is laughing out loud as she listens to Jongin’s story.

“Are you really my friend?” Jongin says as he rolls his eyes. Feels annoyed when he became a laughing stock.

“Aigoo~ I feel bad for you my friend. Let me see you bruises.” She says as she gestures for Jongin to move closer to her. She hold his chin, turning his face, as she observes the bruises carefully. She then presses hard on the bruises, making Jongin cringes in pain.

“Yah! It hurts!” He pushes away Soojung’s hand.

“Serve you right. There are so many girls in our college, yet you pick a girl with a boyfriend. Tsk. Tsk.” She says as she finishes her drink.

“I don’t even know she has a boyfriend.” Jongin says. Letting out a deep sigh. He plays with the straw in his drink.

“The whole world knows Yonghwa sunbaenim is her boyfriend. Geez this idiot.” She says as she plays with her long brown hair. Jongin sticks his tongue out at her. 

“But you were worried about ‘this idiot’ right?” Jongin says, jerking his eyebrows.

“Pfffttt. You’re so full of yourself.” Soojung denies.

“I know you love me, my friend.” Jongin says, looking straight at her, and throws a wink. She makes an annoyed face but unknown to Jongin, she seems flustered for a while. She then quickly shifts her gaze.

 


Flashback; Krystal’s POV

“Do you want to play at my home this evening?” asked Sohee who was also my neighbor.

“No.” I said simply.

“Why?”

“Because you play with dolls. I hate dolls.”

“What kind of girl that don’t like dolls huh?” Sohee said, she sounded angry this time.

“Yah, are you still a kid playing with dolls? We are 11 already.” I said as I walked away. I barely hear what Sohee said then. I could see that she was stomping her feet on the ground. She must be mad since I refused her invitation.

I was not like other girls at my age. I like my hair short rather than long hair. I hate wearing dresses. During my school play last year, my role was a prince instead of a princess. Also, I was learning taekwondo instead of ballet like other girls.

I was walking home, swinging along the strip of my water bottle. Suddenly I heard a commotion just a few feet away from me. I recognized the small boy who is the cause at of the commotion. He was the new kid in my class. A few boys were surrounding him too. They seemed mad at him because of something.

“Yah, why can’t you just carry our bags properly? Do you know how much this cost?” The biggest boy said. The blamed boy was just staring at him cowardly.

“Wah you even dare to stare at me like that huh?” he continued as he pushed the small boy’s head, almost hitting the ground.

“Yah Ok Taecyeon!” I shouted as I walked closer to them. They turned towards me.

“Don’t meddle with us Soojung ah. You’re just a girl.” Wooyoung, one of Taecyeon’s friends said as they all laugh.

You think I am just a mere girl? I smirked at them. Then I kicked Taecyeon at his shin. He was cringing in pain, literally rolling on the ground.

“Let’s go Jongin-ah.” I said as I pulled him, ran away with me. He seemed surprised for a while. We ran as far as we can. I stopped when I was really sure they weren’t following. I released my hand from Jongin’s wrist as I was panting heavily. All of sudden, Jongin cried.

“Yah~ why are you crying? We escaped from them already.” I panicked.

“I was scared.” Jongin said between his sobs. I patted his back lightly.

“It’s okay. They all had gone already.” I smiled at him. He calmed down a bit.

“What if they found me at school tomorrow?” he asked, he looked scared again.

“Don’t worry. From today onward, I’ll be your protector.” I said as I mimic one of steps I learnt from taekwondo. He chuckled at my action.

“Promise?” he asked again.

“Promise.” I said, raising my right hand as though I am doing a pledge. Finally, he grinned widely as he wiped off the trails of tears left.

Ever since that day, me, a tomboy-ish girl is a protector of Jongin, the small frail boy. 

 


 

 

To be continued......