Leaving Paradise

Like a Dream, it's Paradise

The fourth date. “Sorry, I’m late.” Namjoo said as she arrived in front of a shopping mall.

 

“It’s okay. I just arrived too.” Sungyeol spoke smiling. He threw an arm around her shoulder. They went into the building, seeing a lot of people being lovey-dovey.

 

‘I wish we can be like that. A real relationship.’ Namjoo thought smiling fantasily. As if reading her mind, Sungyeol intertwined their fingers and quickly pecked Namjoo’s cheek. Namjoo looked at the turned away guy. There was a tint of pink on his cheeks making hers pink too.

 

Sungyeol was looking through the teddy bears. The cashier girls just watched as Namjoo sneaked behind him. “Dear boy, I fell in love on a sunny day. So tell me, will you be my boyfriend?” (A/N: Yay! A combination of IT Girl & My My! It’s suppose to snowy but I changed it into sunny) she said holding the cute white teddy bear that held a heart that craved ‘ I love U’ to the boy.

 

Sungyeol gummy-smiled as he saw the girl. “Shouldn’t guys the one who confess?” he said and kissed the other’s forehead. “I already become your boyfriend, silly.” He laughed. No, that’s not what she meant. ‘I want you to be my real boyfriend.’ She thought but she couldn’t think any further as Sungyeol hugged her. “I’ll always be yours forever. You’ll be mine forever too, right?” Namjoo nodded.

 

They went into a ‘carving’ shop. (don’t know what it’s called) “May I help you?” the girl in charge asked.

 

“We wanted to make a key-chain for a couple.” Sungyeol said.

 

“What do you want to be carved on it?”

 

“One is Yeol. The other one is Joo. So, when it combines with a magnet it becomes YeolJoo.” Sungyeol explained in details.

 

“Alright. It will be done in a two weeks.” She told them. Namjoo went outside the shop, turning back to see Sungyeol still talking to the girl.

 

“What did you talk about?” she asked the boy as soon as he came out.

 

“Wae? You’re jealous? Oh my, JooJoo is jealous~” he pinched her cheek.

 

“Ani. Am not. It just looks like you’re flirting.” She said, pouting.

 

“C’mon. let’s wait for the two weeks.” He whispered, grabbing her hand and skipped along the way.

 

 

“Sweetie, you know we have to go to Canada this evening. Don’t come home too late.” Sungyeol’s mother said, earning a reluctant smile from her son.

 

“Yes, mom.” He answered. He sighed as he remembered today was the day they will take the key-chain.

 

“Hyung, if you want..I can take care of your girlfriend. I saw her with you the other day. You have good taste.” His younger poked his ribs.

 

“Yah, Lee Sungjong. Don’t you dare touch her or I’ll chop your hands off.” He said, raising his hand ready to attack.

 

“Calm down, hyung. I was only joking. Umma~ Yeol-hyung is scary~” the younger frowned.

 

“Yeollie? You have a girlfriend? How many times do I have to tell you not to have a girlfriend? You will only hurt her because you’re going somewhere else.” His mother turned to him.

 

“I know.. I know.. And I might not even survive after the treatment.” Sungyeol sighed.

 

“Honey, who said you won’t survive? You will! They already have found a heart for you. And you’ll meet your uncle there.”

 

“Mom… I know I have a weak heart that will die in any minute. But please, can’t I fall in love. I don’t want to waste my life.”

 

“You fell in love with someone? But you never knew a girl friend before.”

 

“I met her at Paradise Lake. I thought we were just friends…but somehow, I want to be more than that. Is it wrong for me who never experience love in his 20 years of living to fall in love with a younger girl?”

 

“No, honey. I’m afraid that she leaves you. Who knows how long will you be there.”

 

“But Sungjong will stay with me.”

 

“I know.” His mother sighed. “Go meet her and break up. Hurt her now before she will be hurting forever.”

 

“What? But why? I don’t want to!” Sungyeol stood up and ran outside his house. His feet dragged him to an unknown alley. He ran and ran. He doesn’t care where he will end up to. It hurts, it really hurts. He has to leave when the time he was happy the most. Yes, he felt like he was in paradise every time she was with him.

 

He saw the figure’s back. He quickly hugged her from the back. His heart was hurting so badly. They met at a flower park nearby Paradise Lake. The park was full of flowers, especially forget-me-nots. He hugged her tighter as he felt tears rising in his eyes. “Let’s stay like this for a while.”

 

“Here. I took it.” he held out the key-chain couple. Namjoo was surprised. She took the key-chain that carved ‘Yeol’ while Sungyeol took the ‘Joo’. “Today is the day our couple name Yeoljoo is official.” Sungyeol said. “JooJoo, I have something to give you.” He held out a small box.

 

“What is this?” she took it and opened it revealing a ring.

 

“It’s our couple ring.” He said showing his right hand that has a ring on his ring finger. The ring had the same design as hers. Sungyeol took her left hand and slide the ring through her middle finger. He intertwined his right hand with Namjoo’s left hand. “See? Even our fingers for each other.” He smiled. They walked along Paradise Lake since it was near to the park hand in hand. Sungyeol stole a glance at Namjoo, smiling reluctantly. He couldn’t believe he had to leave such a girl. The only girl that was precious to him. He wanted the time to stop. He didn’t want to go anywhere without the girl beside him. Can’t he stay a little longer? Looking at his watch, he realized he only have 20 minutes left before he had to go to the airport. Yes, he had been walking around without direction all day until he called Namjoo to meet him at the park.

 

Namjoo looked at him, smiling. It hurts him more. How could he let go the person he loved the most? Yes, he loved her. At first, he thought it was just a friend-feeling and he just want to try to get into a relationship and he was just a ‘fake’ boyfriend. But she keeps coming, no. Scratch that. She never left his mind. He slowly leaned in to kiss her forehead. He wanted it to last long. The taste, the scent. The warmth, the butterflies in his stomach. The electrifying feel. “Mianhae, Namjoo-ah.” He spoke, squeezing her hand.

 

“Wae?” the girl asked, tilting her head to the side.

 

“I..I have to go somewhere.” He said. His chest tighten making he couldn’t breathe. “Let’s break up…” he stuttered. No, he had to do this. He didn’t want the girl to hurt more. He could see tears in her eyes.

 

“But Yeollie..uri saranghaetjanha..” she muttered. He had to admit, they were so in love.

 

“I have to go there for countless years. I might not come back.” Yes, he was worried he’ll die.  “Mianhae..” he caressed the girl’s cheek, tears rising in their eyes. “I don’t want to break up.”

 

“I’ll wait.”

 

“What?”

 

“I’ll wait for you. We don’t have to break up.”

 

“Will you?”

 

“Yes, Yeollie. I’ll wait for you eventhough it will be years from now.” Namjoo uttered those words. She gave up. She had to let go of him. It was his wish.

 

“I have to go now.” Sungyeol bit his lower lip. He slowly leaned in to brush his lips against her cheek. He could feel wet on his lips. It was her tears that flowed uncontrollably.

 

“Go! Go! Before I hold you back and you can’t go!” she pushed the boy.

 

Sungyeol ran. He wanted to turn back. He wanted to stay longer. But he wanted to get better. To get cured. There’s only one thing on his mind-hope.