Twenty Three

That Woman I Love

TWENTY THREE

 

Seven months and two weeks later…

 

“There was a buzz before that you were dating, is there any truth to it?”

 

“I guess most idols get that… the buzz of dating…”

 

“But this one, the rumors spread rather steadily and they said that she is not from the industry. Do you prefer dating a celebrity or someone outside the industry?”

 

“I don’t have preference as long as I love her…” He shifted on his seat. Talking about it was still awkward for him, especially talking about it with a reporter.

 

“Then, are the rumors true?”

 

Yonghwa found himself sneering as he shot a quick glance at his manager.

 

“One article said that she is a socialite.”

 

He fell quiet.

 

“And that you two were spotted in some private parties over the course of summer.”

 

The firing of question stopped but he was still trying to compose his thoughts. “Hmm, as you all know, my cousins are familiar figure in the circle and they host parties and they have close friends, maybe they just saw me hanging out with them.”

 

“So you’re saying that this girl is probably one of your cousin’s closest friends?”

 

At long last, his manager stood and graciously motioned for Yonghwa to do the same. “I’m afraid that’s all the time we have,” he addressed the reporter with an authoritative smile and guided his artist out of the room.

 

“Hyung, I thought you screened the questions?” the annoyed Yonghwa asked when they were a few meters away from the nosy celebrity reporter. Despite the fact that the reporter didn’t have any clue who it was, Yonghwa was still royally pissed. He never wanted to drag Seohyun into this mess, not during their time together, most especially now that they broke up.

 

“I did and those didn’t appear to what I was given, anyway this won’t happen again.”

 

He could tell the sympathy on his hyung’s voice and he just shook the annoyance he was feeling, “Okay, where to next?”

 

“I thought you’re attending the opening of Heechul’s bar. Jonghyun is there right now.”

 

“Oh yeah, I forgot.”

 

“Let me drive you there. I can’t stay though, family thing… just call me when you’re all ready to go back to the dorm.”

 

“Okay, hyung, thanks…”

 

They got into the car and he took off his coat then grabbed his jacket that was resting on the backseat. They got the invitation of the opening of the bar a few days ago and the company allowed him and Jonghyun to make an appearance. The bar was owned by a prestigious young entrepreneur who has his own chains of bars all across Asia and it was only lately that he decided to settle back in Korea and christened his new bar in Seoul as his head office.

 

Yonghwa met Heecheul a few months back when the latter sponsored an event for them. From there, he learned that he was a respected sunbae of Jessica and Tiffany way back in high school and they shared a close relationship with him. With that thought, he realized that the girls won’t miss that event and most likely his ex-girlfriend would make an appearance too.

 

The word still doesn’t seem to sink into him although it has been more than two months that they broke up and almost a month that he hasn’t seen Seohyun. It’s even safe to say that he is still his break-up wound and he doesn’t know how he was going to react once he sees her again.

 

The last time they met after the break-up was not really pretty. The girls were angry at him, or furious if it was the superlative of the word ‘mad’. Aside from her unnies that were back to their mommy-elephant mode, Seohyun too barely showed him mercy and the hope for a getting-back-together seemed to be a very dismal dream.

 

But he will try—he will definitely keep on trying.

 

He couldn’t deny that he was really at fault why they broke up since he just made Seohyun experience the whole complications she feared before they started as a couple. Yonghwa knew for a fact that Seohyun did nothing but tried her best for their relationship to work and even defending him to her father who was totally against their relationship.

 

But he was such a jerk for taking for granted what he had in his hands.

 

It almost felt like a lifetime that they were a picture of a happy and contented couple. Their relationship was something that was envied by the people around them—including Jonghyun and Yoona who were already an institution to the growing secret society of idols in a secret relationship.

 

The first few months were nothing short of pure bliss. His management company knew his relationship with Seohyun but they advised him to just be as discreet as possible. It was favorable for him too because he didn’t really want her to get tangled up in a very messy industry especially since she values her privacy really well.

 

When he was given a free time, he would usually take her out on a late night or early morning drives. They would go to the nearest beach, find a very secluded eatery where nobody would probably recognize him, and most of the time, they would just hang around in her house or in his bedroom at their dorm. More often than not, they would make out and cuddle but sometimes he would be contented having her around where she would do nothing but read and study.

 

What he loved the most was every time he would go back to Seoul from his out of town or country gig, he would go straight to their house. If he had longer breaks, he would stay there until his schedule resumed.

 

One time, an event abroad took him three days away from Korea and five days in total away from her and by the time he got home, his very first thought was Seohyun. She met him at their doorstep and he got pulled inside their house swiftly.

 

She was as elated as he was that moment. Seohyun wrapped her arms around him and dropped a kiss on his lips but he had better things in mind. Pulling her tighter, he responded to her kiss and playfully pecked on her lips withdrawing an inch or so to speak, “How are you?” Kiss. “Did you miss me?” Kiss. “I miss you lots, are you even aware?” Kiss. “Why aren’t you answering?”

 

And before his lips could touch hers again, she placed a finger on his lips stopping him from talking and or from kissing her, “How on earth can I reply to any of your question if you won’t even let me take a breath?”

 

“Aish! Stop the blabbering and just kiss me!”

 

Yonghwa grumbled that all she could do was to laugh out loud as she finally kissed him fully.

 

“EWWWW, YOU TWO! MY POOR EYES!!! GET A ROOM FOR CHEESE SAKES!!” Taeyeon pushed them to the side since they were blocking the doorway, “Oh, hi, Yonghwa, Bye!”

 

“Wow, thanks for the suggestion!” Yonghwa grinned as he looked over Seohyun’s shoulder giving the latter’s sister a small wave, “Hi, Taeyeon, Bye!”

 

Seohyun laughed and playfully batted her lashes, “Let’s go get that room, Oppa…”

 

“Ya! I didn’t mean literally! Bye!!!”

 

They laughed again when they heard Taeyeon call out.

 

After a few minutes, as they were taking a short break from their usual make out session, Seohyun pulled herself up when Yonghwa yawned so loud and he looked like he was about to get knocked out. “You better sleep, Oppa. Let’s talk later after you’re well rested…”

 

Yonghwa took advantage of the remaining strength in his arm and pulled her back closer to him that she landed on her pillow.

 

“Ouch, Oppa!”

 

He smiled and kissed her gently, “Hmmm… let’s talk later and just kiss, what do you think?”

 

“Let’s kiss and talk later after you slept… that’s what I think…”

 

“But, Hyun…” he grumbled but smiled when she rolled her eyes and gave in to his demand. She kissed him back as fervently but managed to get herself on top of him.

 

A few seconds later, she slowed her pace and ended the contact, “Go to sleep, okay?”

 

Yonghwa sighed when she sat up and tied her hair, the taste of her lips remained on his, “Where are you going?”

 

“Duh… you’re in my room in my house, where do you think I’d go?” she rolled her eyes but dropped a kiss on his forehead, “I’ll be in the kitchen fixing you something yummy, okay?”

 

“But you can stay here and fix me something yummy too,” Yonghwa bit his lip while coiling a finger on the edge of her shirt but she swatted his hand away and he laughed, “Okay, what are you planning to make me, chef?”

 

“How does a bean paste stew sound???”

 

“Doenjang-jjigae? Do you know how to cook that?!”

 

“I… can learn it… with ajumeonim’s help…”

 

Yonghwa chuckled at how unsure she sounded, “Come here, sous-chef, why don’t you just tell ajumeonim to cook it and write the recipe for you?”

 

“Then what would I do?”

 

“You, my love, will stay here in bed… with me…”

 

“Aigooo… Oppa…”

 

“Arasso, go learn that bean paste stew so you can cook that for me in our own house…”

 

“Our own house? Are you planning to buy us a house, Oppa?”

 

“The question is: have I bought a new house for us, Hyunie?”

 

“Oppa…”

 

“Hey… hey… it’s just a plan for now…”

 

“But you know I can’t live with you unless—“

 

“We got married…” he smiled and took her hand when her expression changed, “Hyun, Seohyunie… I’m not proposing yet, if that’s what’s worrying you. And it won’t be very soon… okay? But… eventually I’m going to and… I want to make sure you’d say ‘yes’… when the time comes…”

 

“Oh, Oppa, as long as you are not proposing right now… yes, I will always say yes to you…”

 

He smiled and pulled her for a kiss, “I love you… don’t ever forget that.”

 

“I won’t… and I love you too…”

 

It was all rainbows and butterflies most days and they both couldn’t be happier. However, their company announced the band’s first Asian tour. That was when things started to get a tougher for them. At first, they managed to work it out. The band rehearsals plus their other commitments added to their already hectic schedule before the tour but he still managed to steal some time for her— although for a lesser period.

 

Seohyun didn’t complain at all because she assured him that she understood his situation. There were moments that she would sneak in to some of his events like concerts, appearances and even autograph sessions with fans. One time on their way to Singapore, he caught a glimpse of her, Jessica and Krystal at the airport amidst the rush of fans. And, it was really a treat that she spent the entire two nights with him after the concerts.

 

It was all good until the band started their Japanese promotion and the band got bigger. He thought it was okay; he was assured that they were okay until things started to unfold before his eyes.

 

“We’re close…”

 

His manager hyung took his thoughts away from the past, “Ye, hyung…” he replied almost to himself. Yonghwa really hoped Seohyun was there.

 

~~~

 

“You know, you should really think about it…”

 

“Does it really follow?” Seohyun pushed her glass further and rested her arms on the cool countertop of the mini-bar then continued, “Once I break up with my boyfriend, I should date a new guy?”

 

Hyoyeon took another sip of her own drink as she gave her youngest friend a shrug, “It’s just a suggestion. You know how much we hate seeing you mope around so much…”

 

“I am not moping, Unnie!”

 

“Then what are you doing here? Why did you say no to that guy who asked to get your name?”

 

Seohyun could only sigh, “I’m not in the mood, okay?” Her unnie shook her head and looked away. The floor-to-ceiling one-way glass wall of the VIP lounge on the second floor provided them 180 degree view of the chaos on the ground floor. The opening of the bar has surpassed its success limit considering the huge number of party-goers. They got a VIP invite for the event and, obviously she wasn’t able to excuse herself again since all her unnies wanted to come.

 

Moments ago, Yoona came to her with a warning that her ex-boyfriend was also coming a little later. It still hurts saying that but that was her reality. She chose to just break up with him because it was getting hard for both of them. Truth be told, though, sometimes she regretted that decision. Unconsciously, she reached out for a glass and almost puked when she realized she just drowned down Hyoyeon’s apple martini. "Ack! My throat is burning hell!"

 

“See?!” Hyoyeon chuckled as Seohyun made face and wiped the side of her lips.

 

When Yonghwa told her that they would be doing a lot of swinging back and forth Japan, she knew that it would be a big challenge to their relationship. In the beginning, it was okay and they agreed to have a certain time of the day for phone calls. There were moments however that either one of them asked for a downtime especially on days that they get really tired from their individual activities. The phone calls dwindled—especially his. Seohyun remembered the everyday feeling of waiting and thinking that he might not call at all—worst was the feeling that she had been taken for granted.

 

At night when she went to sleep after not getting any call from him for the whole day, she couldn’t help but cry and felt so helpless. Anger came after the self-pity stage. She would message him stuff like: “Hi, Oppa, remember me? I’m your girlfriend…” or others out of pure impulse.

 

Yonghwa would call or message her back and after a few minutes of sweet-talking and assurances, she would yield and forget everything that happened. Then, she would be happy and hopeful until the cycle started again. And, when he came back to Korea for a limited number of days, she would start demanding for his presence and his time that conversations just had that usual trend.

 

“Oppa, we’re going to Jeju next weekend, can you come? It’ll be just the unnies and the boyfriends…”

 

“I’m so sorry, baby, I just got my sched for the month…”

 

“Uhm, okay…”

 

“Call me when you’re there, okay?”

 

“I guess… what else can I do?”

 

“I’m sorry, I’ll make it up to you next time.”

 

On her bad days though, she couldn’t spare Yonghwa the sarcasm she would usually keep to herself.

 

“I miss you so much, I can’t even remember the last time I saw you… can you sneak out for a few days?”

 

“That’s hard since our sched here is packed. But, can you fly here instead?”

 

“I don’t think so, Oppa… I need to be here for school. But if I could, do you think you’d be able to squeeze me in your sched?”

 

“We’ll try…”

 

“Nevermind then.”

 

“Hyun?”

 

“Nothing… I was just trying to make sure. I can’t follow you around the way I do here, right?”

 

“I’m sorry it has to be like this.”

 

“That’s okay, I think… I knew it would be like this… I just didn’t think it would feel like this…”

 

“I know… I’m sorry…”

 

The final straw came one day when the boys returned from Japan. She met them at their dorm and they were all happy to see her especially her boyfriend. Although Yonghwa looked like he could use a year of sleep, he still managed to embrace her tight and kissed her the way she wanted to be kissed. 

 

“Thank you for coming…” Yonghwa pecked on her temple after showering her with little kisses hugging her tight and breathed on her hair, “I miss you so much… you just don’t have any idea…”

 

“Me too, Oppa…” she smiled. He never failed to give her those butterflies fluttering in the pit of her stomach. She pulled away, “I brought some food; let me fix the table first so you and the boys can eat.”

 

“Okay, I’ll rest first…”

 

“Okay, I love you…”

 

“I love you, too…”

 

After heating the food, she laid them all on the table and called out the boys who came rushing to eat.  Seohyun then went to his bedroom and found him in deep sleep so she gently shook him, “Heyyy… sleepyhead, you can’t sleep with an empty stomach.”

 

“Hmmm… let me eat later… I’m so—“

 

Yonghwa muttered without even opening his eyes. She took a deep breath and sighed, “Fine…”

 

That day, she just had a big exam and spent the entire evening studying so she was just as tired. Her tears fell despite herself and she brushed them all off as she gathered her things. The boys were already devouring the food she prepared and they all looked up when she stepped into the dining hall.

 

“These are really good!” Minhyuk said with a toothy grin.

 

“I’m glad you love them, I microwaved them myself!” she kidded trying to hide her frustrations.

 

“Wow… you really should get the best microwaver award this year,” Jungshin added that they all laughed.

 

“Thanks for this…” Jonghyun said in between bites, “Where’s hyung?”

 

The question gave a soft tug in her heart. She tried to keep smiling despite the turmoil inside her, “Sleeping… anyways, I’ll be on my way. Enjoy the food…”

 

“But you just—“

 

Jungshin stopped when Jonghyun elbowed him, “Are you okay?”

 

“Yeah, I’m fine… I’m just…” she tried to let the words come out naturally but something seemed to clog , “Really… I need to go, just— just tell him to eat when he wakes up, please.”

 

“Are you sure you’re leaving?” Minhyuk asked gently but she was already by the door.

 

 “Hey, hyung… Seohyun left… she looked upset. Hyung?”

 

That was the last thing she heard as she closed the door behind her.

 

~~~

 

He remembered how scared he felt when Seohyun wouldn’t pick up his calls that night. Yonghwa felt like the biggest fool for not realizing sooner that their relationship was heading downhill. It accumulated that it got too hard for him to pull her back to him again.

 

When Jungshin woke him and told him what happened, he hurriedly drove to their house but she wasn’t there and neither was Taeyeon so he pushed his luck and checked on his uncle’s mansion. The girls were having their late night dip at the indoor pool when he arrived and the butler told him that he was under a strict order not to let anyone near the area but he begged to at least call Seohyun out.

 

After a few minutes, his girlfriend came and by the looks of it she just rebelled against herself on seeing him since she was very much soaking wet wearing nothing but a skimpy swimsuit. Yonghwa almost groaned by the thought that the butler was just nearby and was also seeing his woman parade her body like that.

 

“Hey, darling,” Yonghwa took a step closer but noticed how she was trying to avoid his gaze. “I’m so sorry awhile ago. I was just so tired.”

 

“It’s okay, I understand… I’m tired myself.”

 

“What does that mean?”

 

“It means what it means, Oppa…”

 

“Hyun, come here…” he tried to pull her but she squirmed.

 

“No, I’m wet… I’m just going to get you wet too.”

 

“No, I don’t care—“

 

“I do care! I don’t want you to touch me! I don’t want you to come near me! I’m tired!”

 

“Hyunie… Seohyuna… hey… baby…”

 

“You said we’re going to make this work. But why do I feel like I’m the only one trying?!”

 

“What do you want me to do?" He begged seeing her tearing up in frustration, "Tell me, do you want me to leave the band? Hyun, is that what you want?”

 

Seohyun shut her eyes tight for a moment and shook her head, “No… I want you to leave… I want us to stop. I’m letting you go, Oppa…”

 

“What?” he called almost laugh hearing that. It was probably the greatest joke he ever heard so far, “Hyun, you can’t be serious? Are you breaking up with me?”

 

“If that’s your way of putting it, yes, I’m breaking up with you. This isn’t what I signed up for. I understand what you do, I understand that you’re trying but, oppa… this is hard… we have to stop.”

 

“I can’t! I don’t want to!”

 

“Then what the hell are we doing?! We’re not going anywhere! Can’t you see?!”

 

“Hyun… come here, please…” he tried to reach out for her hand, “Give me another chance… please. Let’s not do this.”

 

“This isn’t working. It’s hard for you and it’s hard for me. I can’t just hang around and wait for you to spare me your time. Oppa, I am a person, I am not your pet…”

 

With that, she spun around and sprinted towards the house. Finally, he realized that the girls were just at a distance watching what was happening and when Seohyun walked away from him, they followed her.

 

“What the hell, Yonghwa?!”

 

That was Taeyeon who, thankfully, just walked on with Tiffany in tow and followed Seohyun inside.

 

The other girls just bypassed him, some throwing him daggers while the others just ignored his presence completely.

 

“Oppa, you promised… happy tears?” Yoona said shaking her head then walked away.

 

“Just go home, Jung Yonghwa, we’ll handle this,”Jessica said without even looking at him.

 

Once again, he felt like the antagonist on a drama re-run and he hated the feeling.

 

The car came into a halt and he was brought back to reality. His manager got out first and asked for security since there were quite a number of people waiting in line to get in. Some were probably waiting for their favorite celebrities since it was announced that a few famous people would grace the event.

 

When Yonghwa got out of the car, he saw Sooyoung and her boyfriend a few meters away from the entrance of the bar. Tiffany, too, was on the phone as she made her way out and didn’t seem to notice him or anybody, for that matter. Seeing them somewhat gave him the guarantee that Seohyun would be there. There were the usual giggles and hollers as he made his way to the crowded entrance. It was almost packed inside; the music was booming and the voices seemed to boost the ambiance.

 

Ahead was the dance floor elevated to give a good view of the bodies gyrating to the music. He caught a glimpse of Jessica with a man he recognized to be the one her parents chose for her. They were slow dancing while the rest were moving to the fast beat, including Hyoyeon and her boyfriend.

 

The security told him that they would lead him to the VIP lounge upstairs and he just nodded silently. On the way, he bumped into Yuri and Sunny who were laughing over something and didn’t notice him. It was a relief since there was a big chance that they would drag her away once they see him there, most especially if they witness what he was about to do. Another thing to be thankful for was seeing Taeyeon taking the other stairs on the opposite corner of the club. Heechul was walking closely behind her.

 

Yonghwa was left on his own once they reached the lounge and he let his sight wandered around the amply lit area. He recognized some familiar faces from the industry and he tipped his head to those who caught his sight. Admittedly, he didn’t go there to socialize because he was taken by the thought of setting things right with Seohyun. He got a little bit impatient when he still couldn’t find her anywhere and was about to think that she didn’t come after all until his gaze fell on a little corner at the farthest side of the lounge. She was there, sitting alone on one of the mini-bars looking out of the glass window.

 

Something tugged in his chest and churned in his stomach just by looking at her. Seohyun was wearing a body-hugging black dress that hitched up a little higher on her thighs as she sat cross-legged. Her long raven tresses where let loose behind her and only her bracelet and her silver friendship ring glistened on her body highlighting her skin tone. She was so beautiful and it was leaving him breathless. Worse, Yonghwa was terribly nervous; and, before the last ounce of courage got drained out of his system, he started making his way towards her.

 

For a brief second, Seohyun’s gaze lazily drifted to where he was standing. A touch of pink rose to her face that reached far down her neckline. Her stunned eyes touched his, and from that moment, the world was hushed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

there, there... my dears, I'm always trying not to fail you~

(happy) ending coming soon~

thanks for the comments ^^

 

do you ever believe that there's a kind of love that can stop traffic?

 

^, ^"