Chapter Two

Thistle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


A knock on the door at seven in the morning woke Amber from a dead sleep, and as the pounding continued she dragged herself out of bed and toward the door. Grandma was no where in sight, and so with a sigh of annoyance Amber pulled the door open to come face to face with a beautiful woman.

"Oh, uh... good morning!" The woman seemed a little taken aback by Amber's appearance, and Amber fought back the blush that threatened to spead over her face. She wore what she always did to bed, but on second thought it may have been prudent to grab a robe. The basketball shorts and oversized wife beater were comfortable but by no means pretty, and this woman...

Well. Dressed in a fitted pencil skirt and a loose flowy blouse, standing comfortably on black stilettos and every hair perfectly in place, the woman may as well have been a model. Her glasses only accentuated her features and perfect updo, and Amber resisted the urge to touch her own hair (which she was sure was standing in every direction). As they stood there, both obviously uncomfortable and unsure, Amber's Grandma came out of her bedroom, fully dressed and ready to go.

"Oh, thank you for getting the door, Amber. I see you've met my nurse, Victoria." She said as she tobbled past into the kitchen, and Amber couldn't help but look back at the beautiful woman in surprise. This... model... was a nurse?!? A kind smile met her gaze, though, and Amber nodded her head in greeting (and embarrasment).

"We're going to go to the hospital for a few tests; this is completely routine so don't worry." Victoria said quietly, and Amber nodded her head again in thanks. As they left, Grandma reminded her to please check on the garden today; the new seedling plants needed water twice a day and not too much sunlight, remember!

With a fond smile Amber shut the door only to slump against it when it was done. She felt like Shrek... like a troll... just, ugly. How frustrating! She dragged herself back down the hall and into her bedroom to get ready for the day.

After a shower and a light breakfast, Amber set to work in the garden. There was a strangely soothing feeling in the monotonous motion of pulling weeds, and so it was that when she heard another knock at the front door, she looked at her watch and realized that it was already ten. "Coming!" She called, brushing the dirt off of her knees and pulling the gloves off of her hands. She opened the door to yet another beautiful face and almost wanted to roll her eyes; were mainland Chinese just perfect or something?!? "Can I help you?"

"Oh! Uh... these, I mean this... this is for you.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter