// chapter four

Thrills and Risks

The day went passed like that, they just stayed at the villa watching a movie. Junho was alright by then and was happily munching on some popcorn. Wooyoung went out to take a walk alone by the beach.

Enjoying the surreal night view and gazing at the stars, wooyoung removed his flip flops and sat on it. He decided to venture out alone tonight to get some peace, and to clear his head. To the rest, it may be some other normal day but to him, it was the same date 8 years ago he got his freedom. He slightly lifted his fringe and touched his scar on his head that constantly reminds him of his past, especially today.

 

8 years ago.

Wooyoung hid beneath the blankets when he heard the door unlock. He was shivering, in fear of what might happen to him again. His previous bruises were not completely cured yet, due to the constant beatings of his abusive father.

“Where is your mom” a harsh voice broke the silence. No doubt it was his father. The sound of him gripping a mental pole etched deeply into his mind. His mother left them after taking all of his money away. They were considered wealthy that time so the amount of cash she had ran away with was a huge sum.

“Where is your mom you rascal?! Can’t you hear me talking to you?” He shouted, pulling the blanket off wooyoung. Wooyoung scurried to a corner, pursing his lips. He knew for sure his mother would get killed if he ever told him. He loved his mother so dearly that he rather be beaten up then to give her away, although she abandoned him. “I asked, where is your mother!” he gripped wooyoung’s hair and flunk him to the wall. Wooyoung endured it, black dots spotting his vision slightly.

Receiving no respond, his father gripped the pole tightly and started hitting wooyoung. Wooyoung winced after every hit, and stumbled back with the taste of blood in his mouth. Numbing pain shot through his entire body, yet he could not fight back. It was his father after all. Tears stung the corners of his eyes but he blinked them away. The last hit on his head made him sprawl half consciously on the floor. His father dropped the pole and ran out, seeing the bad state he had beaten his son into. Wooyoung simply stare at the half open door where his father left him. A few minutes later, someone barged into the house.

“Are you okay???” he could hear the worried tone of the stranger. The backlit of the sun made the stranger look angel-like. There was another man beside him, taller and older. He slightly brushed the stranger’s face before blacking out, really happy receiving a genuine concern for the first time since birth.

 

-

 

The next day he woke up in an unfamiliar large room, along with a curious boy looking at him.

“Oh! He woke up!” Wooyoung saw a boy dressed in all sort of weird colours exclaimed in excitement. Soon, three boys crowded around him, staring with curiosity. One of them was the boy he last saw.

 

“Where am I?” he said softly, slightly frightened. Just then, a man came into the room. He was dressed expensively, from head to toe.

“Good morning. Are you feeling alright?” the man asked. Wooyoung nodded his head. “Would you like to join us?” he continued, opening his arms welcomingly.

 

Even till now, wooyoung could remember that sentence deeply in his heart. It was probably a sentence that saved him, allowing him to live as a normal person again. The other boys had their fair share of pain before they got taken in by ‘Boss’, the name he would like to be address as. In return of staying and getting paid for everything, they were given missions to do. Occasionally they were rewarded with vacations, such as now. The four of them were treated very well.

 

*

 

Wooyoung felt a wave of nostalgia before clearing his thoughts. He could not deny that he misses his mother even though she left him to the brutality of his abusive father. Despite that, she treated him really well before she ran away. She would leave a lipstick mark on his cheek before she headed to work so that wooyoung would be reassured when he wakes up. He smiled at that thought. Days like these made him miss her even more. He was overly engrossed that he didn’t notice a presence behind him. He got pulled into a back hug, “Are you okay?” nichkhun whispered by his ear. Wooyoung wiped his tears away and cleared his throat.

 

“I’m fine.” He smiled at nichkhun. Nichkhun released him and sat down beside him. Wooyoung’s hand lingered on his scar for a few moments before nichkhun pulled it away slowly. He cupped his palms against both sides of wooyoung’s cheeks and planted a kiss on the scar. Giving a heart-warming smile before releasing his palms, he then laid his head on wooyoung’s shoulder. Wooyoung felt loved, and was trying his best to hold back his tears. That angel-like kid who found him 8 years ago was none other than nichkhun. Although all three of them added colours to his life, Nichkhun was special to wooyoung and he would be eternally grateful.

“Ahhh… so selfish of you not to share this glorious view with me!” nichkhun joked, trying to replace the gloomy atmosphere. Wooyoung chuckled.

“aish, u kid.” Wooyoung said, poking nichkhun’s nose, and then hugging him tightly. They sat there for an hour just gazing at stars, enjoying each other’s companion.

 

-

 

“Yah you two! Don’t make us worry. At least call or something.” Junho raged when the two finally returned.

“Looking at how you are scolding us, you are all better now aye, junho ya~” Nichkhun laughed.

“We should all go to sleep now.” Taecyeon yawned. They all receded back to their room. With one hand over wooyoung’s shoulder, nichkhun led wooyoung up to his room. Chansung looked at them walk up the stairs. Guess he isn’t sleeping down here tonight… He thought, calming his nerves. Although he didn’t show it, he was really worried about wooyoung just now. He sighed, laying down on the sofa, slowly falling asleep.

 

-

 

“Yes sir, he is well. I’ll update you again.” Minjun turned off the phone, standing in his room by the window. Now with his attraction towards Taecyeon and finding Junho again, he isn’t so sure if he could carry out his work without getting his personal feelings involved. He sighed inwardly, laying down on his bed deep in thoughts.

 

*

 

After three days of fun, they finally returned back to korea. The four returned back to their house half dead due to another wave of jet lag. Wooyoung volunteered to cook them some soup while the rest of them laid on the couch spacing out.

They warmed their tummy with some good thick mushroom soup before receiving a call from the boss. After 5 minutes, Junho ended the call.

“Guys, we have another mission tonight.”

“Yay?” Taecyeon lifted both of his arms lethargically. Deciding that it would be a long night, they all went upstairs to take a nap to refresh themselves.

 

2 hours later they were all down, in their black outfits, ready for their pre-meeting.

“Today would be a ceramic vase. There are many in the house so be sure to take the right one. There would be flower prints over it. Remember it’s fragile, Ok taecyeon.” Junho emphasized. Taecyeon lifted an eyebrow. “You would be in charge of getting it this time, wooyoung as back up. Nichkhun in the car.” Three of them lifted an okay sign before heading off.

 

They checked their gears for the last time before entering the house. They climbed through the back gates swiftly. They entered by the windows that were conveniently unlocked. Taecyeon went in, in search of the vase while wooyoung stayed near the carpeted hallway to look out. There were many photos hung along the hallway. He stayed vigilant while looking at the prettily painted pictures. The next photo that he saw was a family photo. He glanced at the cute daughters and his sight turned to the man hugging them. He retreated backwards, in shock. The man was none other than his father. He glanced around nervously. Just then, Taecyeon returned with the vase, cueing for him to leave. Wooyoung was pale by then and he left hurriedly, weak on his knees.

 

“Are you okay?” Taecyeon asked worriedly. Wooyoung’s face was white as a sheet.

“Yeah I’m ok…just a bit tired.” Wooyoung replied, turning around noticing the same figure he saw the last time.

 

-

 

“Yes sir, by the looks of it, he definitely seen that picture.” Minjun held the phone close. “What should I do about the vase?”

“Just keep it for now.”

“Noted, sir.” Minjun turned off the call, looking upon the car that was disappearing from his sight.