Chapter 1

Can I trust you?

-Hwayoung POV-

 

It was almost time to start the daily lesson when Hwayoung entered the class and found a sleepy head laid on the desk next to her:
“Neh, Jiyeon unnie what are you doing? This isn’t the place to sleep”
The taller girl smiled when she saw her classmate letting out a little groan and tried to hide her face in her harms even more.
It was funny when she was able to see Jiyeon’s cute side.

“Hwayoung-ah, the past days I had to write a new song and I worked so hard that I couldn’t sleep. Please, let me rest some minutes”
“Oh, so you got the job?”
Asked Hwayoung curiously, while unpacking her stuff for the lesson.
“Not sure… the owner said that if this night I’ll have enough success I’m going to work there”
“Unnie listen; I know  you need that work, but you have to take care of your health first. So be careful ok?”
“Don’t worry unnie, I will”
“It will be better”
Hwayoung was really worried for her friend, she knew how Jiyeon had been stressed in this period and now that she finally found an opportunity, she was able to do everything the get that job, even forgetting to take care of herself.

Suddenly, Hwayoung remembered that she wanted to ask something to Jiyeon:
“Anyway, this evening me and some of our classmate are going to eat something at the café near the cinema, do you want to come with us?”
“I would like but I can’t. This afternoon I have to finish the song and I’ll go to the bar earlier to become familiar with the equipment. But next time you can come to my apartment and I will cook”
In a second, the memories about the last time that she went to Jiyeon’s house flashed in her mind and on Hwayoung’s face appeared a worried expression:
“Sure! But… let’s cook together ok? I don’t want to eat again things half raw and half burn”
after hearing her proposal, Jiyeon raised her head with a jerk and pouted at her friend:
“Yah! It wasn’t my fault. There was something wrong with the pan”
Hwayoung started giggling, she really enjoyed teasing her friend:
“Sure Jiyeon-ah, it was the pan’s fault”
Jiyeon hit the latter’s shoulder and both of them started a small battle before the class started.

The classes had passed tediously and finally Hwayoung was out of school.
She had to meet her friends at 19:00, so she had enough time to go home,  study and get ready.
This was her first time that she hanged out with her friends after long time, she was so excited that on her way home she kept thinking of what she would wear.
Since her mother was still at work, after she arrived at her house Hwayoung’s steps went straight toward her bedroom.
She threw her bag on the bed and went to her closet to choose a nice dress to wear and after few minutes she opted for a simple withe dress that emphasizes her long legs.
The young girl went toward her desk (the ones that are made with a mirror) to see how it suite her, but as faster as she saw her reflection a voice spoke in her mind:
‘Are you already forgetting about her? You’re so selfish’
“No, I’m not forgetting about her”
Hwayoung whispered softly, even though she was still smiling, in her eyes you could see that something wasn’t right, there was an emptiness that it was almost like watching a deceased.
Since then, a heavy and cold atmosphere fell in the room, she kept silent and calm while was doing her homework till she went out of her bedroom for reach out her friends.
She popped her head in the living room where her mother was watching the television:
“Mom I’m going, is everything ok? Do you need something?”
“Don’t worry honey, I’m ok. Go out with your friends and have fun”
“Ok, I won’t be too late, but don’t wait for me if you’re tired ok?”
“Ok ok, now go or you’ll be late!”
“Deh, bye bye mom”
Hwayoung went out the entrance door and walked along the street for some time before waving her hand to call a taxi.

When she arrived in front the café she paid the driver and run toward some of her classmates who were waiting:
“Oh! Look, Hwayoung is here”
“Hi guys, sorry, I’m a bit late”
“Don’t worry, you’re not the last, two of the boys are still missing”
“Yah Hwayoung! Why you’re wearing high heels? Now you look taller than me”
Yelled one of the boys that was waiting with them.
The latter looked at him surprisedly while one of the girls gave him a light punch on the harm:
“Oppa she isn’t wearing any high heels!”
“What?”
“Look”
said Hwayoung putting one foot forward.
It was true, she wasn’t wearing high heels at hall, on her feet there was a pair of beige and flat sandals.
“The problem isn’t her oppa, it’s you who’s too short”
one of the girls started teasing the poor boy who didn’t know how to respond.
They kept joking around until the other two boys arrived, now that the group was complete they entered the local and searched for a table.

They were deciding what to order, when suddenly a waitress came near their table:
“May I take your orders?”
“Sure! I want an hamburger with French fried and a coke”
“I’ll take a double cheeseburger!”
“For me a strawberry milk shake please”
“I want…”
Everyone were saying their orders, but Hwayoung’s mind was somewhere else, her gaze was completely focused on the girl who was standing right next to her.
It was a really pretty girl, with long and blonde hair tied in a ponytail, big brown eyes and a very nice smile.
Hwayoung’s stomach was clenched in a tight grip, she didn’t know what was wrong with her, but she started to feel nervous without reason.
“And what about you?”
“…”
“Miss, there’s anything wrong?”
Suddenly Hwayoung was knocked out her dream land, everyone were staring at her and she felt herself blushing:
“E-excuse me?”
“I’ve asked if you want to order something”
“O-oh… then I-I’ll take some French fried and a coke”
“Ok, I’ll be right back”
After the waitress leaved one of the girls turned toward Hwayoung:
“Neh Hwayoung, are you ok?”
“Yes don’t worry, my mind just went away for a moment”
“It’s the height! Because she’s so tall that the blood can’t reach well her brain”
teased the short boy from before
“Yah! At least I can reach the third shelf of the library”
“Ahah she knocked you off oppa!”
Everyone bursted out laughing and there was an happy atmosphere, Hwayoung was smiling a lot and kept playing around with her friends, but inside her mind she was shocked, she placed a hand on her stomach and thought to herself:
‘What was that? Am I sick?’
then her gaze went lost for a second again:
‘Or maybe it’s my punishment for being so selfish’

When it was time to leave, everyone greeted to each other and since it wasn’t that late, Hwayoung decided to return home on foot.
It was a nice night, there wasn’t a single cloud in the sky and a beautiful full moon was illumining the quite street.
Hwayoung was enjoying the fresh air, finally her heart stopped beating so fast and returned to its normal rhythm:
‘I wonder why I was like that earlier… I mean, I wasn’t nervous before I saw that girl, so it was her fault! But why? I don’t even know her… ah~ I don’t know. Let’s just stop thinking about it’
She finally arrived home, she opened the entrance door and saw all the light turned off:
‘Mom is probably sleeping, she must be really tired’
She walked toward her room, changed into her pajamas and dropped herself on the bed.
She was staring at the ceiling, her eyes were so sad, she didn’t look like the cheerful girl from few minutes ago.
Her eyes started to be teary and she covered them with the back of her hands:
“Why can’t you be with me again?”