Chapter 2

Cassette Tapes

2


Jongin sat all the way in the back of his homeroom class. While his classmates were fooling around and talking over one another, he just sat patiently in his seat with his back up against his chair. Yes, the boy was popular, but not many people actually talked to him. He didn't have as many close friends either. He was very picky when it came to making friends. He only chose the ones that he knew he could trust. He also only chose the ones that he knew would stay by him for the longest of time.

He took quick glances at Sehun who sat all the way in the front. Sehun wouldn't stop staring at Jongin. Sehun would look somewhere else once Jongin caught him staring. Jongin knew how much Sehun wanted to come over to his desk and chat but for some reason, Sehun didn't leave his seat. The bell rang a few seconds after their awkward stares. Students scattered around the room and to their assigned seats, afraid they would be sent out by the homeroom teacher. 

"Settle down, you pesky teenagers," she said, hitting her palm up on her front desk. "There's a new student joining our homeroom today."

Everyone went from slouching in their seats to perfect posture. Jongin was the only one that remained slouching. 

"You can come in now, Kyungsoo," the homeroom teacher called out the door. 

The new kid walked in. Some kept quiet and others gasped. This was when Jongin finally sat straight up in his chair. He usually could care less when it came to new kids, but something was different about this kid. It wasn't hard to spot out the difference. The new kid hid his eyes behind dark and thick glasses lense and used a white cane with a red tip. 

The new kid was blind.

"Why don't you go ahead and introduce yourself?"

"Uh," the boy looked down at his feet. "I bet you guys all have shocking looks on your faces right now."

No one said a word. No one laughed, and no one made a single side comment. This was a first.

He went on, "My name is Do Kyungsoo..."

"Is there anything you would like me to call you by?" The teacher asked him. 

"I can go by D.O or Kyungsoo. It doesn't really matter to me," he slightly turned his head towards her and smiled then turned back to the class. He bowed, forty-five degrees. "Please, treat me well."

"Thank you, D.O. Are there any questions?"

Sehun's hand was the first one to shoot up. "How many fingers am I holding up?" He joked and the whole classroom was soon filled with nothing but laughter and gasps for air. Everyone, except the teacher and Kyungsoo himself, found Sehun's joke hilarious. Jongin didn't find it hilarious. He watched as Kyungsoo's smile turned into a frown. 

"Don't leave this room until I have a word with you, Oh Sehun," the teacher glared at Sehun. Her glares didn't give Sehun the creeps anymore. He was used to them by now. He would always get called out by not just his homeroom teacher but every single teacher he had. He brushed her death stare off his shoulders. "Any other questions?"

Another hand went up, except it came from the other side of the room. "How did you become blind and how long has it been?"

It took a while for Kyungsoo to respond. He had to think even though answering that question had no thinking involved. "I-I've been blind..." He stuttered. "I've been blind since birth."

There was something wrong with the boy's answer. It didn't really sound so convincing to Jongin. He leaned up against his desk. 

A girl sitting in front of him raised her hand high and proud. She cleared before asking a question, "I want to know how blind people are always so good at knowing their surroundings. How do you do it?"

"I don't know my surroundings around this school yet, since I just got here," he chuckled. "But when I'm in familiar places, I don't really need my cane. I recognize people by listening to their voices and touching their face. I also have quick reflexives and I can sense things before they happen."

"So, like a dog?"

The class burst out into laughter again, thinking the girl was insulting Kyungsoo by calling him a dog, but it didn't bother him. He knew what the girl meant. He knew that she didn't mean it to offend him. "I guess. It's kind of like a sixth sense."

Another classmate raised their hand. He spoke loud and clear so not only the whole homeroom class could hear, but even the class next door, as well. 

"You have quick reflexives, so does that mean you're pro at fighting? Can you fight?"

"I can fight, but I choose not to. It's not right."

More hands started to go up, but the homeroom teacher couldn't pick on anymore. Homeroom was close to being over. She helped Kyungsoo over to his new seat, all the way in the back and next to Jongin. Jongin tried his best not to look over at the boy. He only took a few glances. 

"If you need anything, let me know," the teacher told Kyungsoo before walking back to the front of the room. "Take out a sheet of paper, kids. Here's your quick assignment for the day."

"What? But it's homeroom!" The class complained. "Homeroom is about to be over anyway. We don't have enough time!"

"Yeah, it's homeroom!" Sehun whined. "We shouldn't be writing in here."

"Don't make me pull you out into the hall, Mr. Oh."

"But..." He got up from his chair. "Why me!? I'm not the only one complaining! Why do you like to pick on me so much?"

"Say another word. I dare you."

Sehun kept his mouth shut for the rest of class.

Jongin saw Kyungsoo pull out some type of typewriter and placed it on the top of his desk. There was braille on its keys. There was no sign of the Korean alphabet anywhere. It amazed Jongin, yet he didn't say a word to the boy. He just rested his cheek on the palm of his hand and tried to shut his eyes. Unfortunately, the bell to switch to first period rang less than a minute later.