Chapter 3

Cassette Tapes

3


Jongin waited patiently for Sehun to finish his conversation with the homeroom teacher. It only took such a long time because he wouldn't stop arguing and talking back at her. Jongin sighed, annoyed out of his mind. It was not like he had to wait for that pesky little brat, but that pesky little brat was a close friend of his. 

In the corner of Jongin's eye, he spotted a figure walk swiftly through the doors and out into the hallway. It was Kyungsoo, and he was the last person to dismiss himself from homeroom. The way he used his cane to get around fascinated Jongin. Kyungsoo would walk slowly and carefully, depending on the white cane to guide him to wherever he needed to go. He had the cane in one hand and his other hand placed on the walls, supporting him through his exploration around the school. 

"Ugh!" Sehun groaned, almost startling the older. Sehun put his arm around his good friend's shoulder. "I'm glad I have you in homeroom. The teacher is always on her period, don't you think?"

"Mhm," Jongin simply said because that was all he could come up with. He was too focused on Kyungsoo. His eyes were focused on the back of the boy's head and the curve in the boy's spine. The way Kyungsoo walked was pretty adorable. Sehun followed Jongin's eyes. Sehun kept looking back and forth between Kyungsoo and him.

"What do you think of the new kid?" He asked.

"Eh, he's fine," Jongin said, honestly. He couldn't answer that question completely because he hadn't talked to the kid yet. He didn't like judging people before he got to know them. He'd rather know the person first and then start judging. It was better that way. Plus, there wouldn't be any false assumptions of the person once he got to know them. There was nothing for him to judge Kyungsoo for. There was nothing wrong with his physical appearance or the way he talked and dressed. To Jongin, Kyungsoo looked really handsome. Kyungsoo also had no problem speaking. He didn't have a lisp unlike Sehun. Kyungsoo also dressed like everybody else in this school; black and yellow school uniform jacket and black khaki pants. "I don't really care, to be honest with you."

"Psssh. I think he's weird."

"Why do you think that?"

"I don't know. He's just blind, I guess? He can't see," Sehun said. Jongin couldn't tell if he was being serious or not. That was a ridiculous reason to think someone was weird. Jongin tried to stay calm. "Isn't that weird? That's not the slightest bit weird to you?"

"What year are you living in, Sehun? Just because he's blind, you think that's weird?" Jongin could hear the anger in his own voice. "Maybe it's not something that we witness everyday, but it's not weird. It's not right to judge someone just because they're different from you and me. Yeah, so what if he can't see? What if I had green hair, green skin, and lost all five senses? Would that be weird to you?"

"Uh...yes."

"So you'd judge me just because I would have green hair and skin and no senses?"

"Uh, yes. Like you said, it's something we don't witness everyday. Of course I'd judge. Actually, anyone would judge."

"We may be different on the outside but on the inside, we're all the same," Jongin said. "We all bleed red."

"Okay and so? So do dogs, insects and pretty much every other animal on this planet. Are you saying I'm the same as an insect?"

Jongin felt like face palming himself. He wondered why he was even friends with this kid. "Kyungsoo was born blind. It's not like he can do anything about it," Jongin looked away from Sehun just to make sure Kyungsoo was still walking ahead of them. "Just treat Kyungsoo like you treat everyone else. I'm sure he just wants to fit in."

"Okay. Okay, man. I didn't ask for a lecture."

"But you asked for my opinion, so there," Jongin tightened his fists. "I gave you my damn opinion."

Sehun rolled his eyes. He wasn't in the mood to deal with Jongin's sassiness and Jongin wasn't in the mood to deal with Sehun's. Jongin was getting a bit fed up with the way the younger talked to him. He was getting annoyed with Sehun all together. If Sehun had something mean to say then he might as well just kept it to himself. Jongin didn't want to hear it. He didn't want to hear Sehun's opinions or comments. They only turned into stupid statements.

Sehun walked ahead of Jongin only to walk right behind Kyungsoo. He walked so close to the point he was almost stepping on the back of Kyungsoo's shoes.

"What are you doing?" Jongin wanted to ask, but it didn't fully come out of his mouth. It came out of Kyungsoo's mouth, and he said it more clearly. Jongin's just came out as a puff of air. He could see the smirk on Sehun's face even though Sehun had his back on him. It didn't take long for Jongin to figure out what his friend was about to do. 

"I know you're behind me," Kyungsoo said, voice surprisingly calm.

Sehun didn't say a word. Kyungsoo's instincts were good but they weren't good enough. He may had known someone was behind him, but what he didn't know was that that someone was Oh Sehun, wide receiver of the football team. He snatched Kyungsoo's cane out from his grip, causing him to trip over nothing but air. Sehun watched as Kyungsoo fell over and flat on his face. Some students in the halls stopped to stare and others laughed. Jongin may had not been laughing, but he was staring with a dropped jaw. He never imagined Sehun doing such a thing like this. This was wrong. Jongin knew this was all wrong. 

"Oops," Sehun gasped. "I didn't mean to make you fall."

Kyungsoo blew the hair out from his eyes. "Bastard," he said. He didn't mean to say it so loud, but what was the point? Sehun had heard him clearly. "Give me back my cane."

"Excuse me? What did you just say?" Sehun dug the edge of his shoe hard into Kyungsoo's sides. "Repeat that for me."

Jongin wanted to stop this before it even started but for some reason, he couldn't move. The legs that were attached to his body wouldn't take steps forward. It felt like he was under a deep spell.

"I said, give me back my cane, you bastard!" Kyungsoo tried to say, struggling to pick himself off the floor. 

Sehun made it easier for him. He helped Kyungsoo off the floor by dragging him up by the jacket and slamming him into the nearest locker. "You want me to give you back your cane?" He chuckled, holding his fist in the air. If only Kyungsoo could see the look on Sehun's face. "How 'bout we do an exchange instead? My punches for your cane."

Jongin eventually snapped himself out of the deep spell and stepped forward. He pulled Sehun back by the collar of his shirt. He couldn't stand to watch this anymore. He couldn't watch a good friend of his take advantage of some innocent student. "Just let it go." he begged. 

Sehun looked back and forth between Kyungsoo and Jongin. "Call me a bastard again," he said, shrugging Jongin's hand off his shoulder. He opened his mouth, closed it, then opened it again. He made a strange sound with his throat before spitting at Kyungsoo. Then, he kicked the boy's cane across the hallway floors. "Go get it, you dog."

 

 


 

Authors Note:   Thank you for reading this chapter. Subscribing, commenting, or upvoting is appreciated. Those things encourage and motivate me to keep on going. Thank you and keep a look out for chapter 4. Happy reading~