TotM | Chapter 05

GODDESS CORNER

 



Tears of the Moon
Chapter 05

 

 

It was a festive occasion with everyone commanded in attendance. Everyone was expected to congratulate the royal family for the good fortune. 

The great courtyard had been decorated colorfully, the ministers were drinking happily and everyone was watching with great pleasure the royal band as they dance, sing and entertain everyone.

Everyone, except her. Everyone except the queen who had excused herself citing health reasons.

Even from her chamber, the music from the festivities was loud. Even from a distance, people's cheers were resonating within the palace.

She looked at the paper crumpled in the table. A letter addressed to her by the Minster of Finance, Park GunHee, her father. She knew she should not have read it knowing that it would only hurt her. But she wanted to see and hope that somehow it would be opposite of what her father always say.

But she was wrong.

She closed her eyes trying to erase the hurtful words of his father's letter, '.... you stupid fool. I told you this is our clan's chance to gain more power. And you let it slip....-----'

She clinched her teeth, forcing herself to clear her head and forget about her father who thought of he as a chess pain to gain power.

She needed to think positively, 'Yes Gyuri, think of the bright side of things. Everything is going to plan...'

In her chamber, she was only waiting for the signal. With that signal came the assurance that everything will be alright.

The sound of booming fireworks echoed, and from her window she could see that it illuminated her garden.

She turned to her window and watched the beautiful display in the sky. The array of colors in the fireworks was overshadowing the stars and the crescent moon. She smiled wistfully at the grand celebration while she was alone.

'tsk, the left minister was going all out'

She smiled knowing that the left minister was really overjoyed, how can he not be, when the festival is a celebration for his clan. His clan is now at the best position to obtain more power and could probably overshadow her father now.

The fireworks were a sign of the end of the festivities, the finale if you will. And she was getting more anxious by the second as no word has yet to come to her chamber form Jiyoung. She had thought that she would come before the celebration is over.

'Lady Han?" she called

"Yes, your majesty?"

"Is there still no word from Jiyoung?", she asked

"None, yet your majesty. Do you want me to send in a guard to check on her?"

She shook her head and answered, "No. It's okay. Maybe she just got into a little delay because of the celebration."

She looked at her chamber, in its darkness she can still make out everything that was inside. Her table, her walls, the flooring, the door directing to her royal garments. Everything is perfectly in order, as what a Queen should have.

Her chamber had been her home for eight years. The place where she can be whoever she is. It was also her prison for eight years, where countless tears were shed. Her memories were tucked in each and every single crevices of her chamber, all good to bad.

She wanted to imprint everything in her mind but she also wanted to erase everything. She was confused that way.

With the minutes moving, she then gave a signal of her sleeping, thus making sure that her attendants would sleep as well. But she sat waiting in the darkness.

In silence.

Contemplating.

Her plan in place.

Her resolve solid.

The signal came through the window, she immediately saw that JiYoung was standing in the garden. She signaled toward the big column of the queen palace walls. And there she saw a figure who was hiding. Not just one but a few men lurking

'this is it'

She turned her lights on, thrice. A signal.

Everything was going according to plan.

Slowly they advanced, like dark knights here to cause mayhem and evil. Stealthily they moved one by one alert and prepared. When they were by palace wall, one immediately came into her room through her open window, he bowed.

She nodded giving her go signal with her hands for everything to start. 

'its now or never'

"Who are your?", her voice barely a whisper but she knew it would wake her attendants up.

"Your majesty, are you okay in there?" asked Lady Han

"No one comes inside the Queen’s chambers or she is dead." The man in black threatened as he helped her move towards the window, asking through their  usual hand signals if she was okay, she nodded in answer.

One attendant screamed and her heart was suddenly anxious.

'Not yet, It was still to early to sound the alarm.'

She was afraid the guards would come and everything will be all for naught. But she continued on as one of the black men caught her outside of her chamber. There was no turning back. This was her last chance.

"Don't you ever scream again if you don't want that the queen's blood to drench this floor" spoke darkly by the man who followed her with a jump to the garden. 

She was now surrounded by men in black. Held in each side by one. 

She turned to look at her window when she heard shuffling noises. The next moment she saw Jiyoung through her open window with tears in her eyes while calling, "Your majesty..."

Seeing Jiyoung cry was a signal for her tears to start to fall. She could not contain it anymore, she cried now, 'Goodbye Jiyoung...'

'Thank you'

She was then pulled towards one of the men, as the leader of the men in black ordered, "Come on, and take her immediately"

She was placed over one of the men's soldiers as she was being carried. 

She continued to cry, no words seem to form her lips.

Her tears were making it hard to see anywhere; she clinched her teeth onto her hand to prevent her sobs from being heard by the guards that would alert the people in the palace.

She did not see where they were going but she did not care. She was already missing her younger half-sister and best friend.

She didn't know how long she was carried but then bell was ringed. The bell that was a sign of danger inside the palace.

The men with her looked at each other in alarm. They immediately stopped and went into a dark room.

Once inside, the man carrying her placed her on her feet.

Everyone then bowed and the leader spoke again, "Your majesty, we are in trouble. The alarm was signaled earlier that anticipated..."

She wiped her tears away; it was not yet the time to cry. If she gets caught it will be the end for everyone.

She looked at the leader and asked, "Did you bring it?"

The leader of the group removed his mask and nodded. The face of the leader was worried but was also determined. She had missed him all these years, Eight years of separation ever since she became the crown princess.

She was presented with bag, inside were black garments like these black men used. Everything has been planned; she made sure every possibility was thought of. She needed this plan to be successful because it was her last hope for escape.

He then turned his back and gave her time and space even in this alarming situation. All his men had their back to her.

She smiled at his consideration, Kang Il Woo, Jiyoung's older brother had always been kind and considerate in their younger days, to his dongsaengs, friends and family.

Even now he was still so considerate and kind. Considerate in fulfilling such a dangerous task of stealing the queen from the palace. It was a crazy and dangerous task but she knew he would never say no. And she loved him that much more, her older half brother, which her father considered a servant. Her kind brother who would protect her, Jiyoung and Gyumi. Her brother that loved her with equal proportion that he would commit a crime to fulfil her wish. The greatest brother in the world.

She immediately took off her royal sleeping wear and changed into the black garment they provided.

"Orabeoni, I'm done. We can go now"

The men went to door to stand guard. A couple of them went outside and gave a signal with a clear whistle. one by one they moved out, She put on her mask and walked when she was stopped by Kang Il Woo, "Your Majesty, are you sure this is what you want?"

She looked at his brother in the eyes and answered, "I need to do this."

She then placed her hand in her heart and continued, "My heart can't take it anymore. Every day I am here I am dying a slow and painful death."

Tears spilled from her eyes, “I’d rather die than stay here. So please, help me escape."

He nodded now and wiped her tears always before placing the mask in her face.

Outside everyone was in place, on guard. Signal was made and one by one they moved. 

Danger was palpable especially with the alarm going nonstop with shouts from the guards and their rustling feet.

Her Older brother was in front giving his men the signal, she was in the middle surrounded by his men and protected. The mission was clear, steal the Queen from the palace but additionally protect her as well.

The palace guards were moving nearer, their shuffling feet was loud and their shouts within earshot.

Her brother signaled a halt by a tall wall. Then one of his men jumped over.

'This was it, this was the single wall separating her and freedom.'

Her brother signals for her to walk near the wall, it was her turn. She nodded.

The men made a pyramid for her easy access; she walked on them until she was atop of the hall.

On top of the wall she sat and she made her last look at the palace, 'Goodbye your Majesty. I hope that you would be happier now. I know you were reluctant about the concubine placing but don't worry I picked her specifically for you. I saw your smile today when you look at her during the concubine rights. She is just like her sister, just like your first love and the first crown princess. I hope you protect her. Protect her with everything you have. Specifically protect her from my father. Don't let my father hurt you again.'

She looked at the other side of the wall where her brother's men were waiting to catch her, 'as for me, I will free myself of my love for you, I'm sorry for leaving you like this but I could not live as your target practice anymore. I'm sure I'll be happier. I'll be free.'

She then looked at the crescent moon as tears rolled down her eyes, 'We'll be happier now...'

She closed her eyes and jumped.

'Freedom.'