Rebirth

Smashing The Hourglass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Are you ready?” Suho asked, placing a hand lightly on her back.

Miah her lips and took a deep breath. “I’m ready.”

Nodding, Suho knocked on the door once and announced their presence. “It’s just me, open the door.” After a moment of nothing, some shuffling was heard then a rattling of chains and clinks as the person the other side opened the door.

The door opened slightly, then fully to reveal the vest clad Heather whom upon seeing Suho smiled in relief then in panic when noticing Miah.

“What is she doing here!?” She demanded of the male. Before he could defend himself though, someone else did it for him. “Just let them in,” a tired Jae spoke from somewhere behind the door. Heather chewed on her lip for a moment, still deciding if fully opening the door was a good idea. Apparently she did, as she moved out of the way for the two to come in.

Suho entered first, and Miah followed closely behind, almost hiding herself. It didn’t really work as Jae barked, “Stop hiding and come out so we can all see you.”

Swallowing harshly, Miah followed her old friend’s orders and stepped out to be clearly seen in all her wet glory.

“What happened to you two?” Heather asked, locking the door again. “There was a small…incident, but nothing to worry about now,” Suho replied vaguely.

Both girls acknowledged him with a small nod while Miah bowed her head in embarrassment. She didn’t know what Jae would say if she found out she was trying to kill herself. Would she be happy that she failed, or upset that she did. Miah was afraid to find out.

“So, Suho brought you here to heal Kris?” Jae asked with a thick voice, “Are you even capable of that?”

her lips again, Miah nodded, “I’m going to try.”

Those words were not what the other wanted to hear.

“Try? Try?” Jae hissed, getting to her feet. Heather immediately replaced her position to take care of the injured Kris. “What do you mean try? You can so easily put him in this position but you don’t even know if you can get him out of it! Do you know anything Miah? Do you know that Suho didn’t look like that when he left here?”

Miah looked over to the sopping, and slightly limping Suho. How come she hadn’t noticed his injuries before?

Jae wasn’t done. Not even close.

Glaring at her old friend, the investigator kept going. “We’ve been here for days now; days Miah! We didn’t have to be here that long! We saw you the first night; if you had only come with us then, no one would be hurt right now. No one would be dying. And Yoona wouldn’t be dead!”

 She pointed her finger to the bed where a dingy sheet lay over what was obviously a body. Miah guessed it was the thin girl she had seen the others with before. Had she done that to her? Had she really killed this girl and injured her friend? She was really a monster wasn’t she?

“I…I,” Miah started but could not say more. Her tongue felt too thick in to let any real words out.

“If I had known,” Jae began again; this time her voice was barely audible but her eyes were full with unshed tears, “If I had known that this…person is who we were going to find…..maybe I wouldn’t have agreed to come back.”

“Jaehwa!” Suho thundered only to be silenced by Miah’s delicate hand on his shoulder.

“I understand,” she finally said, taking a step forward. She then took another and another, Jae moving back with every step Miah took forward. “I understand, and I don’t blame you. Honestly, maybe you’re right. Maybe it would have been better for everyone to let me rot here.” This time Jae’s tears really did fall.

Miah looked down for a moment, then back up; her own eyes also shedding tears

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter