Stand Up

Imagine

        It’s been two months. Sungjae decided he was going to live in Minhyuk’s apartment, since his parents stopped helping him financially. Minhyuk was worried about that. Sungjae could’ve done great as a doctor, a lawyer, anything he wanted to be. Yet, he was pleading for Minhyuk to give him a job at his café. It wasn’t a mine of gold, but Minhyuk could live well. He didn’t ask for many things. He had everything he wanted. And he had Sungjae.

       “Hyung, come on~ I really want to work there with you”

       “Sungjae, you need to find a better job. You have more qualifications than I do, so go get a job somewhere else…”

       “But Hyung, I want to be with you all day…”

       Minhyuk sighed. Sungjae was really a kid. He had no experience with work, but now that he had to drop college and live for himself (or with Minhyuk, since the oldest didn’t complain about it), he needed to find a job. Any job would do it. But Minhyuk insisted he didn’t want Sungjae working at his café. Though he could use some help there, he didn’t want Sungjae to stay trapped in a job like that. He had so many things to do, and cutting his legs wasn’t something Minhyuk could do. He didn’t want Sungjae to be unhappy.

     “Sungjae, go audition for a model agency or something. You can’t waste your potential on a job as a waiter!!”

      “But I want to be a waiter!”

      “You’re saying that so you don’t have to be far from me… We can’t stay together all the time, you know?”

      “But I feel empty and lost without you….” Sungjae looked down, and Minhyuk could feel Sungjae’s heart full of sadness. None of them wanted to give up. Not now. But he couldn’t stop wondering if things would’ve been better if Minhyuk had never done that crazy thing of stealing the girl’s groom. And now, because of his foolish act, Sungjae no longer could see his family. To them, he was now dead. The same thing happened with Minhyuk’s parents. Either of them were accepted. But that didn’t mean Minhyuk regretted it. At least his part. He felt free when he came out, and now he had to help Sungjae.

     “I’m sorry, Sunggie. But I don’t want you to feel like I did… I wish I had followed my dreams, but life didn’t let me. I don’t want the same thing to happen to you. You can be so many things…”

      “Hyung, let’s follow our dreams together then… You should follow your dreams as well, not only me.”

       He sighed and hugged the taller boy, “I’ll think about it…”

     Sungjae hugged back, smiling, “Hyung, I love you”

     “I love you too, Sunggie”

     “Can I work at the café now?”

     “No”