Chapter 3

Returning the Dork's Favor


 After JaeHwan took the calculator away, I just stare at my math textbook, with my arms cross over my chest. "Okay! This will be harder than I thought," I huff.

 

"Do you not know the multiplication table?" JaeHwan snickers at me and I roll my eyes.

 

"Please," I scoff, "I know more than just the simple multiplication table," I smirk at him but the grin on his face doesn't seem to be leaving soon.

 

"What's ten times one hundred?" He questions.

 

"Hold on," I push my index finger in his face, he chuckle lowly. "One thousand," I smile, proud of my answer.

 

"That was so simple yet you had to think about it," JaeHwan teases you. "Alright now that I see what you are capable of, let’s start with two step equations," he opens the textbook to the section.

 

"Stop," I put my hand on his to stop him; "I learnt that in my sophomore year, I'm a senior now!" Does he think I'm dumb r something?

 

"But it seem like you don't quite understand," JaeHwan points to the teacher correction on the page, most of my answer were wrong. Yes, I didn't quite understand but I knew what I was doing.

 

"You better not waste my time," that was my permission for him to teach me this section.

 

"I won't," he smile brightly at me, I was sure he felt intimidated around me earlier.

 

For about two hours, I got to learn a lot of math. I even remember some of them from the last exam, now that I know how to solve them, I want to smack myself for being so dumb before because it’s easy. The way JaeHwan is teaching is better than a teaching that the teacher does. He was even kind enough to go over the section that would be on the next exam, I'm thankful for his time but I remember that he didn't do just because its fun, I have to return my end of the deal.

 

Before we could go straight into chemistry, my mom knocked on the door, she pops her head in, "Kids the dinner is ready," she says sweetly.

 

"Okay," I cooed, "Let’s just end the tutoring for today," I say to JaeHwan who look quite bored.

 

"Alright," he says and get up from the chair, "Will I be tutoring Chemistry tomorrow?" He asks.

 

"Yup, Math and Chemistry are the only subjects that I'm weak in but then after the tutoring, I can start helping you out," I say quickly and smile at him. "I'm really thankful for this," 

 

"No problem, just helping an old friend out," JaeHwan says and I groan, I forgot we used to be friends.

 

I start to walk to the door before calling him to follow, "You're staying for dinner so come on,"

 

 

"So JaeHwan, how HyeJin doing with her study?" My dad asks, JaeHwan look up after taking the food in his mouth, he put a thumb up.

 

"She's doing well and she learns fast," he says after he swallows the food. I grin at his compliment.

 

"I'll do fine on the next exam for sure," I say delightfully.

 

"That's good sweetie," my mom smile at me, I love when I get attention from my mom, it's like she's proud of me.

 

"Mrs. Choi, your cooking is still the best," JaeHwan comment on the food, my mom laughs.

 

"Don't say that, your mom will be sad," she tries to cover up her happiness.

 

"Second best from my mom then," JaeHwan laughs with her.

 

I lean close to JaeHwan’s ear "You're getting way too comfortable around here," I whisper and he turn to look at me, I blush since our faces are close.

 

"You know I'm this kind of person and not the dork," he says back, I roll my eyes.

 

"Well then why not just be like this in school as well," I sigh and lean back against the chair.

 

"Well I'm not confident on how I look but I'm okay with you guys," 

 

"Whatever," I sigh deeply and continue to eat. My dad did ask what I was talking about with JaeHwan but I waved him off, he doesn't need to know about teenage stress.

 

Because JaeHwan stay at our house so late, his mom called his phone and his mom and my mom end up having a long conversation which lead to us two families having a hang out on the weekend that is coming up. I would prefer to use that sweet time to study and pass my exam and not having to sit in the same room as JaeHwan, I need to hurry up and do the makeover for him then he would be off my back forever.

 

While I was thinking all of the things I could do to make JaeHwan look better, he was staring at me. "What?" I snap at him.

 

"You were thinking so deeply I thought you fell asleep, you didn't even blink," he says in amusement.

 

"Go home," I murmur, I stood up from the couch and start walking to my room to rest. 

 

"I'm waiting for my mom to pick me up," he explains why he's still sitting in my living room but I wave him off, not caring.

 

Here I am laying on my bed not a bit tired, it's annoying when I can't sleep because I keep remembering the real reason why I stop being friends with JaeHwan. We both are eighteen year old seniors now but I changed a lot since when we were thirteen, my feelings changed. Lee JaeHwan and I was born around the same time, start crawling together, start walking together, we grew up together. He was my only friend and I was his but I'm the kind of person who can easily make friends so when our friendship broke, I made other friends but he was and still is alone. 

 

It was my fault, if I didn't start liking him when we were in our last year of middle school we would still be friends. I was young and I didn't know any better, instead of telling him and work things out, I distance myself from him. I start listing all the things that he does that annoys me and so I stop liking him. And here I am the perfectionist Choi HyeJin.

 

"Stop talking to yourself and sleep," my dad shouts from the other side of the door. 

 

"Damn it dad!" I also curse myself for speaking out loud.

 


●X● SUPPORT ●X

Comment & Subcribe & Vote

YES!! I updated before school starts, its tomorrow T-T