- 2

Was it fate?

“I am so sorry! Jwesonghamnida!” you bow deeply and profoundly apologise formally to him in a rush of words, not knowing how he would react in a situation like this. The pack of girls began to bang loudly on your door, making you jump. You appear to be more nervous than Jonghyun. “Ya, it’s okay. You saved me from them.” He says quietly, nodding at the door. You stare blankly at him. Jonghyun stood at the edge of your bed, and gave you a small smile. There was an awkward moment of silence and you let your head fall to the ground again. ‘Why am I so shy? I’m never shy!’ you shake your head slightly to rid the thoughts. You both hear the hotel staff shooing the girls away from your door. Faint, ‘Saranghae, oppa!’s was heard as the girls miserably were guided away. “Why are you so calm when you saw me? People usually go crazy when they see how good looking I am!” Jonghyun laughs loudly, showing a perfect set of white teeth. “Are you a celebrity? You seem so collected and calm right now!” You stare at him again, slowly processing that you have a damn idol in your hotel room. “Oh!” Jonghyun tilts his head to one side. “Do you speak much Korean?” he asks you, after not getting a reply. You pluck up the courage and say, “Ne. I can speak Korean well. I studied it for three years so that I can hold a decent conversation with the locals here!” You try to say this brightly and confidently, without sounding like you just held your breath for the past five minutes. “I’m calm because I respect others. As I said before, I know that everyone needs their personal space and some fans may seem a little crazy. I would never want to come across like that to someone famous.” You notice how intently Jonghyun was listening to you. His head was still cocked to one side, his lips slightly parted as he stared at you. You chuckle inwardly and quickly told him where you’re from. “You are fascinating. How old are you? You look too young to be travelling here on your own!” Jonghyun exclaims, talking with his hands. “I’m 20 years old.” you reply, smiling shyly at the compliment he gave you. “You’re three years younger than me! Oh, so cute!” he flashes you a grin.

There is another silence between the two of you and you realise that you have been standing with your back against the door this whole time. Jonghyun grins at you again and turns his attention to the small mountain of bags on the floor. His eyes widen and you watch him mumble to himself as he counts the bags. He notices the camera which is hung on a strap around your neck and asks to look at your photos. You nod, and hand it to him. He takes it carefully, feeling the weight of it and crosses over to the bed, perching on the end of it. “Ya...” he says in amazement. “Are you a photographer? This is a nice camera! It looks really expensive!” You raise your head and wave your hands. “Aniyo! I wanted high quality photographs, so I bought a high quality camera!” You follow him and sit near him on the bed. 'Not too close..' you warn yourself. He compliments you on the photos you have already taken. He says he especially likes the ones you’ve took of the Han River. You smile with a shrug, but secretly your heart swells with pride as those photos were your favourite. He pauses, unbeknown to you, at a silly selca you took of yourself. You take a while to notice because you were trying to control your heart that was pounding in your chest. You wondered if you could see it though the sweatshirt you were wearing. You glanced up at Jonghyun, realising that even though he was small, you were a few centimetres smaller than him! He was smiling again, showing those beautiful white teeth. You finally notice the picture he’s grinning at. “Ya! You should have skipped that one!” you yell at him and try to grab the camera from him. Jonghyun holds it out of your reach playfully, and suddenly you notice what he is wearing. It sounded silly considering you have been with this man for at least 20 minutes now, but you realised how well dressed he was. You stop trying to reach the camera and compliment his clothing.

“You are very well dressed. Did come up with that by yourself or did some stylists help you? I’m very interested in fashion, so it would be good to know!” you point out. “Ne, kamsahabnida! I created this myself. It means a lot that you think I look good!” he says. “I like this,” he comments, pointing at a bracelet you’re wearing. It had three pieces of brown leather combined to make one whole bracelet. In the middle piece, your birthstone is attached to the strap. It was a bracelet your mother gave you when you were young and you lived it dearly. You thank him shyly and bow your head. “Wae? You’re shy with me now after being so forward with me before?” Jonghyun grins cheekily, and you laugh loudly to cover the fact that you are blushing intensely; remembering the feeling of Jonghyun’s solid chest against your fingertips as you shoved him into your room not so long ago. You both go back to chatting on the edge of the bed, covering many different topics such as photography, what being in the media’s eye is like, what has been the best moment of becoming an idol and some memorable moments Jonghyun has had with the other members. You mainly asked the questions because you wanted to be seen as polite and interested, as well as wanting to know more about the ‘real’ Jonghyun. No fan of his would ever get to know him on such a personal, one-to-one level. Suddenly, Jonghyun gasps. “Ya! I never got your name!” You giggle and reply, “It’s ________. But I don’t like it. I want someone to invent a cute nickname for me.” You smile as Jonghyun says, “I’ll think of one for you! I promise!”

You both really hit it off, talking so well with each other. “You know, this is one of the most normal conversations I have had with someone who isn’t part of the SHINee crew or a family member. It’s nice to be able to speak freely like this. I feel very comfortable talking with you. Kamsahabnida, ________!” Jonghyun says, bringing his hands behind his head, relaxing a little. You smile but sympathise with him, understanding that it can be frustrating not being able to speak with someone without being careful with what you say. “What were your plans for the evening before we ran into each other?” he asks. You smile and reply, “I wanted to see Seoul’s nightlife and take lots of photos. Maybe try some delicious food!” Nodding, Jonghyun replies, “That’s what I was going to do. I wanted to go back to my hotel room and dress very casual so I could go out for a meal on my own. Our manager hyungs have given us some free time to relax for a while because we’ve been working so hard lately. But I got lost on the way back to my hotel room! So I panicked...” Jonghyun grins at his silliness. “That’s cool,” you reply. “But I’m sorry I interrupted those plans!” Jonghyun shakes his head, dismissing your apology. "And it's a good thing you ran into me!" You both laugh at each other. You notice the little creases in the corner of Jonghyun's eyes when he smiles. 'Cute,' you think to yourself. 

To lighten the mood, you grab your camera and pretend to be one of Jonghyun’s many fans, really exaggerating, dancing around your room in a circle around Jonghyun singing, “Jongie oppa!~ Saranghae, oppa! Oppa is so handsome!~” which makes Jonghyun almost tear with laughter. You pretend to take photos of him like the paparazzi. Jonghyun snatches the camera from you and pats the space beside him on the bed. “Let’s take a...selfie?” he asks. Your heart quivers as it hits you for the second time that, holy ; Kim Jonghyun is in your room. You crash next to him on the bed a little too forcefully and knock into him. His left arm grabs hold of your shoulders to steady you, sending a jolt of electricity through your body. He tells you to smile and takes the photo, his arm still resting on your shoulders. He turns the camera around and checks the photo then boldly comments, “You’re beautiful.” You are so taken back by this compliment that you make a choking sound, then burst out laughing at yourself. “Just there,” Jonghyun says, eyes still on the photo of you both, “reminded me of Jinki. He’s cute and dorky like that, too.” He turns to you and grins that could make the world come to a standstill. Jonghyun fiddles with his hair and make-up a few times, then gets you to take more photos with him. You obviously don’t object. Your brain has already turned to mush again as Jonghyun curls his arm around you for another photo. After taking so many photos, the camera battery becomes low. “Oh!” exclaims Jonghyun sheepishly and lowers his head, his eyes darting towards you. You laugh and blush at how comical he looks.

“I know!” he snaps his fingers. “Let’s play a game.” Jonghyun lets a whoosh of air come out of his nose at your shocked expression. “Ya! I don’t have anywhere to be right now because it’s too late to go for a meal and I’m having fun with you. Lots of fun! I’m in no hurry to be anywhere either. Play a game with me, ________!” Jonghyun pouts. He then sweetly suggests that you both play a game of Kai Bai Bo – with a small catch. The looser has to kiss the winner. You nearly fall off the bed in surprise. Thoughts race through your mind; you are a fan of SHINee’s music, not a die-hard one, but enough to appreciate them greatly, and now here is Kim Jonghyun, the lead vocalist from that very band, suggesting a game which involves kissing!? ‘What the hell,’ you think to yourself, ‘I’d only regret it once this moment is over!’ Nodding slowly, you say, ‘Ne. Let’s play. But...you need to work harder to earn a kiss if I lose. I am not an easy girl to play with. To make this more fun, I demand you...to... post a selca of me and you to your Twitter! Then, I’ll give you a kiss for free!” As soon as the words left your mouth, you realise how much of a bad move that would be. Jonghyun could get in a lot of trouble for posting photos with ‘fans’ – especially in a room by himself! “Wait!” you cry, “Not that! I’ll get you into so much trouble with your managers...” You trail off. Jonghyun, with a soft smile on his face, gently pushes you down onto the bed, so you both are lying down, heads on the same pillow. Jonghyun moves his head so it is touching yours. You freeze at the movement, feeling tingles shoot around your body. Jonghyun pulls out his phone, turns on the front facing camera and you both strike a cute sleepy pose simultaneously, overly pretending to be asleep with small grins on both of your faces. After you hear a faint click! you both sit up and watch on as Jonghyun posts the photo directly to his Twitter account. Your mouth plops open in amazement. “I’m too lucky. This is too much. Am I dreaming? Was I knocked out earlier?” you think out loud. Jonghyun gives a chuckle. “I guess,” you start, “this means I owe you a kiss. Right?” A warm smile spreads across Jonghyun’s face. You ever so slowly lean over to him, the tension in the air thick. You imagine that your heart was working overdrive to keep yourself alive at this moment. You could see stars behind the lids of your eyes and your palms were increasingly sweaty. As you began to close your eyes even tighter and go in for the kill, someone’s lips get there first. Jonghyun’s plump lips, soft with moisture, press against your own. You squeeze your palms together and lean more into the kiss. You feel two large hands cup the sides of your face, holding you in place so that you couldn’t break away – even if you wanted to. It was a closed mouth kiss lasing only around 7 seconds, but to you, it felt like light years had gone by. You both break away at last and stare at each other for a brief moment. The kiss did not leave any ; it was sweet and pleasant, the type of kiss that was bursting with happy vibes and feelings that just felt... right. You sat back in shock, having a lasting imprint of Jonghyun’s warm mouth against your own. Jonghyun chuckles but his smile quickly fades and he drops his gaze to his knees. A pang of doubt surfaces in your mind. 'Was that a mistake? Why isn't he looking at me? Did he not mean to...’ your mind clears as you realise why Jonghyun’s gorgeous eyes weren’t level with your own. He was blushing! “Mienhae... I haven’t kissed a girl in a long time.” He mumbles, and raises his right arm to his head, rubbing his neck. He puffs out his cheeks and let a wave of air shoot up his face, making his fringe blow about. He tousles it back into shape and finally grins at you again before excusing himself to the bathroom. 

You nod and when you hear the bathroom door click, you let yourself fall back onto the bed. What has happened tonight!? “This is too crazy!” you exclaim out loud and question the reality of this moment, wondering what might happen next. You clasp your arms around yourself, staring at the ceiling. Hearing a flush and water going down the drain, you quickly sit up and hear a faint plunk! to your left. You look over the bed and see the box of Pocky’s you bought earlier had fell off the bed. You reached for them, picking them up and admired the packaging, just as Jonghyun enters. “Oh!~ We should play that game!” he shouts, and takes the candy from you. Puzzled but interested, you ask him to explain the game. “We both eat one end of the stick with our eyes shut. The aim is not to kiss; not to let our lips touch. The person who eats the bigger half wins! Do you understand, pretty?” he explains to you and tips his head to one side. You bite your bottom lip cutely at the compliment and say, “Ne. But this is the second game you have suggested that involves kissing, Jonghyun-ah!~” His eyes dart from side to side and his mouth drops open as if he is about to say something but doesn’t. Instead, he rips open the packaging, puts a chocolate stick in his mouth and strikes a cute pose infront of you; one leg bent at the knee in the air, his right hand on his slender hip, his left index finger pointing to his cheek. Bending forward due to laughter, you get up off the bed and place your mouth around the other end of the stick.

 

 

 

Hey guys! So what do you think so far? At this point I was thinking of doing a POV change to Jonghyun.. just a short one, though. What do you think? Let me know in the comments! I'll just carry on the story for now though... Maybe I'll do POV changes in the later chapters...^.^ <3