- 1

Was it fate?

 

The unique k-pop idol group, SHINee, were frequently busied with countless amounts of gruelling performances, fan signing events and radio broadcasts along with lots of album-promoting activities. The boys were increasingly exhausted; however, their schedules showed that there was only one more fan signing event to attend before their managers had decided to give them a short break for working so hard over the past year. They certainly deserved it. After some of their many songs such as, Lucifer, Sherlock and Replay had topped the charts, they continuously outdid themselves time and time again, in every aspect of their work. The idols needed a break to relax and have some fun before working to the best of their abilities once again. 

~

 

“Kamsahabnida!” you shouted to the cab driver as you slammed the door shut with your hip. Your hands and arms were full with shopping bags and parcels after a successful day of shopping in Seoul, South Korea. Thankfully, you had booked your room in a fancy hotel named, ‘The Plaza’, three weeks prior to arriving in Korea. You had – in the spur of the moment – decided on South Korea as your destination to do some sightseeing and intense shopping. You were very appreciative of different fashion styles from different countries and cultures, so where better to start than celebrity-hotspot, Seoul! You had also taken note that the k-pop idol group, SHINee, were going to be attending a fan signing event relatively near your hotel! You were a fan of the boys, and decided that if the opportunity rose, you would certainly go and see them if you could.

Humming along to the music playing loudly in your ears through your headphones, you turned towards the entrance of your hotel and noticed how many young girls appeared to be crowding around outside. You smiled to yourself. ‘I chose a good hotel! Celebrities must be staying here today!’ you thought happily as you pushed through the groups of people, staggering with the weight of your purchases. Some of the people standing were holding handmade signs and screaming things, but you chose not to take notice of them; you were slightly tired from your busy day of shopping and wanted to get back to your hotel room quickly. The hotel had those little complimentary chocolates that were placed on the pillows by staff. Completely engrossed in the thought of devouring one of those chocolates, you managed to get through the entrance doors of the hotel, enter the elevator and arrive at your door – with great difficulty, considering the amount of bags you were carrying. You stumbled inside and hurriedly dumped your purchases on the bed. The bed was huge; it must have been at the very least a queen-size one, yet even so, your shopping just about covered the entire bed. Chuckling to yourself, you massaged your hands and wrists, then, setting your purchases on the floor in a neater arrangement, you made your way to your en-suite bathroom to freshen up before getting ready to leave again to admire Seoul’s nightlife.

After patting down your brow and applying another round of make-up, you stepped outside of your room into the hotel corridor. It was seemingly empty, when you began to hear panting and heavy footsteps on the floor, which got increasingly louder as the person appeared to get closer to where you stood. It gave the impression that someone was in a rush to be somewhere. You backed up against your door to make sure the person wouldn’t bump into you. Suddenly, a man rushed around the corner and came to an abrupt stop infront of you. Straight away you noticed his big, puppy-like, deep brown eyes and high cheekbones. The man was on the short side, but the rippling muscles that protruded through his jacket made up for it. He had bright white hair that reflected the gleaming hotel lights, emphasising the look of shock in his eyes. It was then you realised who you were facing. It was Kim Jonghyun, from the k-pop band, SHINee.

 

 

Jonghyun was panic-stricken. His chocolate eyes never left yours as he baby-stepped backwards away from you. ‘He must think I’m one of those crazy fans!’ you thought to yourself. As calmly as you could, you spoke in Korean to him. “Wait! I’m not one of those crazy girls from outside. It’s okay, I’m not going to scream at you for an autograph!” you say with a small chuckle. “I know you’re an idol, and I know idols need their personal space. Seriously, it’s okay!” you continued to reassure him. It appeared to be working because he was now frozen to the spot rather than backing away from you. You knew that if you had ran up to him when you saw him and grabbed his arm or something, you may have later gotten scolded by a manager and Jonghyun may have been scared and lost respect for not only you, but for his fan base in general for being too forward.

As if on cue, you both heard what sounded like the voices of Jonghyun’s fans along the corridor. They must have broken through the security at the entrance of the hotel, or found another way inside. You mentally smacked yourself inside your head. 'That was why there were so many girls outside of the hotel! Kim Jonghyun is here!' Snapping back to reality, you watched the scene unfolding infront of you. Jonghyun gasped as two young Korean girls appeared behind you. In return, their jaws dropped and pointed at Jonghyun. They started to scream. Jonghyun’s eyes widened and he began to turn away from you, but you dashed towards him and grabbed him by his collar, forgetting what you just said about personal space, and pushed him into your room just as you saw around 20 more fans bounding along the corridor like a pack of wolves. You shoved Jonghyun into your room and slammed the door behind you, making sure it was locked. Leaning against it, you let your head drop to the floor and let out a sigh. After a moment, your heart stopped beating for a fraction of a second as you took in what you’ve just done. Raising your head slowly, you brought it to be eye level with Kim Jonghyun.