late 2008

Love Story

 

 
XXXI. Kyuhyun is happiest the day Super Junior and Girls' Generation had their first CF promotion together. 
 
He freezes when the photographer pulls him towards where Sooyoung is standing; leaving instructions to the both of them about the would-be couple shots. Siwon joins them the last minute and the elder boy slings his arm around Sooyoung as they all strike a pose upon the photographer's orders. 
 
They check the picture right after and Kyuhyun silently prays that he is the only person who notices the awkward atmosphere between him and the girl.
 
 
 
XXXII. Kyuhyun moves away right after the shot is done and contents himself with watching her from the corner of his eye. Sooyoung converses freely with Siwon, laughing at the lamest jokes the man can cook up with. The latter then excuses himself as the photographer calls him for another shot; leaving the two alone and awkward by themselves. 
 
He catches her stealing glances towards his direction and he smirks to himself. 
 
 
 
XXXIII. “Sooyoungie~ bogoshipeoyo~” 
 
Sooyoung receives a text from Sungmin and her smile brightens a thousand times more. She cranes her neck subtly to see him from the other side of the room looking back at her. She gives him a thrifty smile before going back to her usual posture; hands crossed behind her back and a goofy smile suppressed on her face. 
 
She doesn't notice Kyuhyun bearing witness to everything that has transpired. 
 
 
 
XXXIV. Sungmin talks about how the Chunji listeners declined after Sooyoung left. 
 
The boys propose a made-up scandal between him and Sunny to increase audience. They all then enumerated their dongsaeng's traits which will make her fit for the role. Sungmin nods his head for every trait given. 
 
Yes, Sunny is nice, warm-hearted, cute, and smart. 
But she is not the girl who holds his heart. 
 
 
 
XXXV. Tonight, Sooyoung will be visiting Chunji. 
 
So, Kyuhyun logs on the internet and streams the show. He sees three cheery people but somehow felt something off with the whole picture. The air is rather festive; Sooyoung looks really happy  and Sungmin can't seem to get his hands off the girl. 
 
Sunny looks notoriously out of place. 
 
He swallows an invisible lump on his throat as he turns off the monitor. He isn't lying when he says he has been listening to Chunji when he has nothing to do; but somehow, he wishes he isn't lying too when he says he doesn't know how to watch the show live on the computer.
 
 
 
XXXVI. It's supposed to be just a simple crush. 
 
But every time he dishes out traits of his ideal girl closely resembling her features more and more each day, Kyuhyun wonders whether his small crush has actually grown  into something more than what he had intended it to be. 
 
 
 
XXXVII. All she sees is black. A solid sheet of seemingly endless darkness.
 
Sooyoung hears her bandmates voice breaking but she knows they are but a quieter echo of the louder shattering of their hearts.
 
She holds back the tears and pretend that everything is okay. This Dream Concert is turning into a nightmare but she has to be strong and the show must go on.
 
 
 
XXXVIII. Kyuhyun looks out from the side-stage upon hearing what the fuss is all about. He tries to adjust his eyes to the unfamiliar black ocean. The song has just started but but the girls are falling apart. He would have ran to the center of the stage and take them away one by one until the madness ends but the determination, though masked by cracked voices, fake smiles, and misty eyes, stark on the face of the nine keeps him at his place.
 
He decides, later when the lights are off and their tears will fall, he'll be waiting on his post to wipe it all. 
 
 
 
XXXIX. Time stops as the performance ends. Friends, and family flock towards the nine broken souls. Everyone giving words of comfort. Everyone doing their best to take the pain away.
 
He sees the girl he was looking for comforting a weeping Sunny; arms wrapped around the smaller girl's frame as she receives her sobs.
 
He admires her ability to keep her strong facade as she comforts her member but he also notes, with a rather painful feeling, how her defenses give away when a certain someone walks towards her direction.
 
His breath hitches and he simply looks away upon seeing Sooyoung break down in Sungmin's arms.
 
 
 
XL. Later that night, the older boy pours his anger and disappointment on his online entry; not caring what such reaction might bring to him and the group.
 
Kyuhyun lets him be.