A Shameless Family

Fix Me... I'm Broken

 


 

“Please stop looking at me like that.” Luhan sighed; he might be looking at the road ahead but he can feel the scrutinizing, not to mention accusing, look Gabby was giving him from the passenger’s seat.

“Can you really blame me? You nearly broke my window-“

“It was a small stone!”

“-drag me out of my house-”

“Your grandmother saw you out!”

“-and you’re forcing me to go on this blind date with some person I don’t even have an inkling who is!”

“Hello? That’s why it’s called blind date!” Luhan’s arms flailed in the air to make his point.

“You’re still not making any sense, Luhan. What suddenly came into your weird little head that you’re doing this?”

“I am not weird! I’m special, thank you very much!”

“Yeah, you’re special alright. You clearly need some special care too.” Gabby huffed, crossing her arms.

“Why are you acting like a kid? I’m not forcing you to like the guy. Well, maybe I’m hoping you will, but if you don’t then… (sighs) It’s just a date. You’re going to thank me in the long run.”

“First of all, I wasn’t the one who suddenly popped into someone’s house, tell them to dress up, and then drag them to a date. Clearly, I am not the one who is acting childish. And second of all, I don’t see how I am going to thank you for dragging me to something I don’t want to do.”

“Trust me, Gabby. All I want for you is to get back to enjoying life. You’re grandmother even agreed with me that you should be back to the dating game.”

“The only game I’m interested in playing is the mind game I’m playing with the old geezers at work. My plate is full at the moment and I don’t need you stuffing another into it. Unless you’re going to help me meet someone who would be an asset to throw the company’s board members off my back, then I don’t see how this is helpful.”

 “See? This is why me and Grandma Han are adamant that you go out on a date! You’ve been here for what, two weeks? And what had you been doing?”

“I’m trying to get those old geezers’ hands off the property of my grandparents, thank you very much.” Gabby replied matter-of-factly.

“You’ve been slaving yourself.” Luhan asserted. “Loosen up, will you. The board members can’t hijack your company from you in just a day. Your whole world does not revolve in the company, okay? Grandma Han is actually feeling a little guilty about having you take over so early. She feels like she’s the reason why you’re being so boring and might end up being an old maid-”

“Stop spouting lies, Luhan!” Gabby hissed.

“I’m not!”

Gabby still wants to call Luhan on the lie, but she knows that there’s a huge possibility that he wasn’t lying at all.

Before she can say another word though, the car came to halt in front of a café. The frown on her face stayed and that had Luhan fussing over her.

“Oh, come on, Gabby. Please, do this, if not for me, then for Grandma Han. At least don’t make her feel too guilty over you turning into a workaholic with a high possibility of turning to an old made! And also, for Himchan. Don’t stand the guy up! At least give him a chance to prove himself.”

“Why don’t you go date the guy yourself then?”

“I don’t swing that way. I’m a guy!”

“Hard to say with your face.”

“What’s that supposed to mean!?”

“Uh… I hate to interrupt but we are going to be late, uncle.” Baekhyun squeaked from the backseat.

Gabby felt her cheeks heat up; she had forgotten that there were three kids in the backseat, all this while listening to her and Luhan argue. They were supposed to act as the adults here.

And adults don’t act like petulant children in front of kids and should give good examples. Too bad that giving a good example meant Gabby going out of the car to meet with this Kim Himchan guy.

With a huff, and a glare towards the driver, Gabby got out of the car. “If I end up being kidnapped, or murdered, or both, it’s all on you.”

“Don’t be ridiculous! Himchan is like Jongin’s second cousin, thrice removed… or something.” Luhan grins.

“Jongin knows him?”

“Didn’t I just say that they are relatives of some sort?”

“And you’re setting me up on a date with Jongin’s relative?”

“I thought you were friends.” Luhan frowns, a little confused.

“I thought you said Jongin is shameless? Yet you set me up on a blind date with his relative.”

“Uh… uncle… we really need to go.” Baekhyun’s meek yet insistent voice cut off the argument.

Luhan gave Gabby a pleading smile, “Come on, Gabby. Just meet the guy and if you think you don’t like him like that then it’s fine. No pressure, really… though I hope for the best.”

Gabby grits her teeth but sighs in defeat. Why is she making a fuss anyways? It’s just a date. She had been to dates before, it shouldn’t be that hard. Even if she had only dated one person before, and the last time she had ever been to one had been way too long… still, this should be easy… right?

“So… call me, or something, about how it goes, okay?” Luhan smiles, eyes turning into crescents.

“Fine.”

With another chuckle, Luhan changed gear, giving Gabby one last look, “By the way, you look really beautiful. Just… don’t frown too much or you’ll scare Himchan away.” And then he was off before Gabby could even turn the outraged look on her face into a glare.

“Just so you wait, Luhan. And you too, Kiim Jongin. The both of you are going to get it…” she mutters to herself as she went into the café.

 Now, this would have been easier if Luhan had at least given her a picture of Kim Himchan. She’s kind of questioning her own sanity now because she had no idea whatsoever who Kim Himchan is, what he looks like, or what he’d be wearing for her to know who he was in the several guys inside the small café who were busy with their own things.

“I’ll make sure to torture you in the worst way possible, Luhan…” she grumbles, looking around discretely and thinking how embarrassing it is to look like a lost puppy.

“Uhm… Gabby-ssi…?” a tentative deep voice called from her right.

When she turns, she’s met with a handsome face and she thought if this is Jongin’s relative then the Kims might really have good genes in them. He’s smiling and she stared at the white set of teeth with the front two jutting out just a little bit that makes him look like a cute rabbit in some ways. His eyes were pretty too (who says only being double-lidded makes someone look more handsome?), the somewhat shy smile making them turn to half-moons.

“Uh, yes?”

He bows a bit, eyes trained on Gabby, “My name is Kim Himchan. Luhan told me you’re beautiful but…” he trails and then smiles widely, front teeth being more pronounced as his eyes disappears into slits. “He didn’t tell me you’d be this gorgeous!”

Gabby felt her cheeks heat up and she tries to cover her embarrassment with a little laugh. She let herself be guided to one of the booths near the window, a really good spot if she might add.

It was a little awkward at first, at least for Gabby, because she didn’t know what to expect. But the both of them warmed up to each other rather fast given the circumstances.

 Himchan is talkative, and really fun to converse with. Their meal at the café feels surprisingly comfortable even if Gabby anticipated it to be more of an awkward one since she’s nothing but awkward in her own skin when it comes to things like meeting and socializing with strangers of the opposite .

After stuffing themselves while getting to know the other more, Himchan suggested that they walk to the nearby park and Gabby agreed since it had been a little long she had enjoyed something like a leisurely walk.

“So, I didn’t know that Jongin would have a friend like you. If he did, we would have met all those years ago and not just now. What a waste…” Himchan mused.

One thing Gabby realized during this time with Himchan is that the guy has endless ammo of flattery and flowery words. It’s not annoying really, she’s just a little not used to it. It’s been way too long since someone had given her so much attention. And other than Himchan, only Luhan was giving her such ‘undivided’ attention, but that’s when she doesn’t need it the most, and frankly, she can do well without Luhan’s constant annoying presence.

“I knew Jongin from way back; I think I met him when he was still in middle school.”

“Really? You know the brat for that long? How?”

“He used to go to this dance school where Zel—”

The words died in as memories of those first meeting run through her head. Her chest suddenly felt a little heavy and it kinds of hard to breathe.

Zelo. She met Jongin through Zelo. And for years, it had been the three of them through the craziest phases of early teenage life even if Jongin was a couple of years younger. Those years held the best memories.

And now they bring forth the bitterest taste along with them. A reason she both hates and loves reminiscing them. It’s so hard to be torn inside, not knowing in which way you’re rather lean on because both side have their own pros and cons that she just couldn’t deal with.

“Are you okay, Gabby-ssi? You look a little pale.” Himchan frowns. “Here, let’s sit down for a while.”

Gabby thanked Himchan, apologizing for spacing out at the same time. Himchan just gave her that charming toothy smile.

“How did you recognize me anyways? I mean, earlier at the café? Luhan didn’t give me any picture of you, or anything to recognize you with. I kind of realize that when I was at the café already and I was actually chastising myself for being dumb.” She scratched the back of her head in embarrassment.

 “Ah, that. Actually, Jongin showed me a picture of you. Luhan-ssi just told me what you’d be wearing but I managed to con Jongin into showing me your picture.” Himchan grins.

“So if I turned out to look like someone you wouldn’t date, you would bailed out on me?” she pouts, trying to mask the disappointment on her face.

“No! It’s not like that! Not at all! I would have gone to this date, I promise!”

“You don’t have to lie, Himchan-ssi.” Gabby laughs at the panicked look on Himchan’s face. “Nobody wants to date people who are not up to their taste. I understand that.”

“You make it sound like we just date people for their physical aspects.”

“Don’t we? I mean we don’t ask people for a date because they have good hearts. They have to have good faces first… or at least a good figure.” Gabby crinkles her face in mocked disgust, chuckling at Himchan’s stricken face.

“Just like what Luhan said, you really have weird views in life.”

“I don’t! I have realistic views in life!” Gabby defended herself. “Don’t believe in Luhan’s words, he’s partly insane, you know.”

Himchan lauhgs, “I know. But you got to admit that the way he always see the good side of the worst of things is really admirable.”

“Oh my gosh, you’ve fallen for the angelic faced devil.” She chuckles. “I won’t be surprised if you date him yourself.”

“That would just be eww in so many levels. He’s got a pretty face, but I don’t swing that way.”

Gabby must admit that for a blind date, something she’s not overly fond of, this one with Himchan is really going well.

But there’s something missing. There’s just no… spark. He’s a great company, charming and funny and really handsome too. But it feels like hanging out with a friend more than having a date with a potential boyfriend, even if they all say that relationship starts mostly in friendship.

“We are not having another date, aren’t we?” Himchan suddenly blurted with a smile.

It takes her by surprise a little, but she sighs in relief because that was really not the awkward scenario she anticipated about ending the little date. “I’m that terrible?”

“Nah. If anything, I really thought that we can hit it off. And we did, just not in the way I thought we would. I don’t see you like that.”

Gabby mocks a hurt look, clutching her chest dramatically. “Kim Himchan! You’re just as shameless as Jongin! How can you tell that to a girl?!”

“Hey, I can see that you were thinking it anyways! I mean come on; we both know this wouldn’t work like what Luhan and Jongin wanted… unless you’re smitten by me…”

Gabby laughs genuinely, “You and Jongin really do share the same blood.”

“In my defense, I’m better-looking than Jongin.”

“Please don’t make him hear you say that or all hell would break lose.”

Their laughter cease after a while and they sat side by side silently.

“What made you think this wouldn’t work out, Himchan-ssi?”

“Other than I don’t really want to cross you and risk Jongin’s wrath? Well, I just have a hunch that whatever Luhan is trying to accomplish by sending you my way, I’m not really the answer. I’ve dated a lot, you know, and I don’t want to brag really, but because I’ve met up with people a lot, I can tell when something is worth going for, or just better to not pursue.”

“Wow, I turned you off that much huh?”

“Hey, I told you that that’s not it.”

“I know, I know. I was just teasing you.”

“It’s more like of a feel that we’re better off as friends, rather than more.”

“…One blind date and I have immediately been friend zoned. I must be losing my touch.”

“Hey, if you’re not really up to dating at this time, why don’t you just tell Luhan and Jongin?”

“Do you think those two clowns would listen to me? I was throwing a fit all the way to the café but Luhan turned a deaf ear on me. And we both know Jongin is way worse.”

“I feel you.” Himchan nods. “But hey, if you want to hang out, don’t hesitate to call me or something. I really enjoyed spending time with you. And maybe, who knows? We might find something along the way; I’m still open for that too.”

The way he winks tells Gabby that he was serious but there’s was no pressure on her. This is something she liked instantly about Himchan, he doesn’t put pressure on her and accepts whatever she can give at the moment. It looks like there’s actually something beneficial about this date she had dreaded earlier.

“Sure, sure.” She rolls her eyes as they swap phones and exchange numbers.

“Well… to be honest, I really hoped for a better outcome of this date so I prepared things. But since we kind of established something already, I don’t really think we should go.”

“And waste everything you’ve done? Tsk, come on! Let’s go through your list even just for the heck of it. I’m free all day!”

“Are you going to pay for your half since this is not a date anymore?”

Gabby gapes at Himchan who just grins at her cheekily, “You’re really are as shameless as Jongin.”

 


 

“You’re smiling… did it go well?” Luhan’s brows were up to his hairline in anticipation.

“Better than I imagined.” Gabby replies, smiling as he settles on the booth Daehyun had brought her to.

“Really? So is there going to be another date? When? Where? What are the plans?” Luhan practically jumps on his seat.

“Date? You went on a date?” Daehyun raises a brow as he brought Gabby’s order over. “Wait, let me rephrase that; someone was actually willing to go on a date with you?”

Gabby glares at both guys. “Why do I talk to the both of you again?”

“Because no one else will?” Daehyun answers sarcastically before shrieking when Gabby aimed the fork on him. “Violent customers should be banned!” he all but runs for the cover of the cake counter.

Luhan waves the scene off, opting to bug Gabby instead. “So??!”

“You are so impossibly annoying, you know that?”

“All I know is I’m awesome for landing you a date that you admitted to have gone well. So spill the details for the next date. Where is it? To the moives? Or a picnic? Am I hearing wedding bells?”

“Wedding bells??! What the heck, Luhan? Himchan and I are not going on a date!”

“But you sad that it went better than you imangined! Don’t tell me you’re going straight to marry him!?!”

“Honestly, where are you getting these weird ideas?” Gabby almost shrieks, managing to stop herself in time. There were other customers in the shop too, she needs to keep it down even if she’s nearing boiling point because of Luhan. “Himchan and I made plans to go to this gameshow. But it’s not a date. It’s like… just hanging out. With a friend.”

“A friend?”

“Yeah. We both kind of figured out that we’re better off as friends than anything else.” She shrugs before opening up her laptop and reviewing some files she was forced to abandon because of Luhan’s crazy idea of a blind date; not that she hadn’t benefitted from it because she had earned Himchan’s friendship after all.

Luhan gapes for a moment before sighing in defeat. “Looks like I have my work cut out for me. You’re a tougher cookie than I thought.”

“Please don’t tell me that you’re planning on more of these dates because if you interrupt me from work one more time, I swear I’m going to—“

“So, I’ve got this other friend. How does next Sunday sound?” Luhan continued as if Gabby wasn’t saying a thing.

“Are you even listening to me?!”

“I’ll go tell him that you can meet him up around 9.” And then Luhan’s off to make a phone call outside the glass doors.

“What the—Luhan!”

“There’s no stopping him when he makes up his mind, just so you know.” Daehyun pointed out, whimpering inaudibly as he slumps behind the counter and avoid Gabby’s death glare.

In one corner of the café, a translucent figure smiles, though it was a bit worried. He floated towards the front door, promptly slipping through the glass and hovering beside the man outside and waiting until he finished his phone call.

“Are you sure about this? I think we should rethink our options.”

“You’re being a worrywart again, Zelo. The date may have been a bust but Gabby was actually happy at the end of the day. She had earned a friend. Maybe it’s not what we were aiming for but it was close enough. Just a little bit more.”

“I was kind of relieved with the result of the first date. And I’m grateful for everything you have done so far.” Zelo looks over to where Gabby was pouring over some documents. “I just can’t help a bad feeling about this. Maybe not the whole ‘project’ as you call it, but something else. I’m worried for Gabby.”

“Relax, Zelo. Trust me.”

And Zelo does. Maybe because he’s got limited choices but he kinds of somewhat believes in Luhan.

He can’t shake off the bad feeling though. And he trusts his guts more than anything else. “Just make sure that everything will be alright, okay?”

“Of course, Zelo. Of course.” Luhan beams.


a/n: yeah! finally! i got to update more often! thank you for whoever invented semestral break!!!