Ball-Room Party

Timeless Sea

What's that? I feel a cool sensation drift over me..Did I die?

Serah's eyes gradually opened, and she blinked multiple times before realizing that she was in a bright room lit by an expensive looking glass mass on the ceiling. 

*Where am I?* 

She realized that she was lying bare under a golden, silk bedsheet. As she slowly pulled up her bedcovers, she let out a gasp. 

This was not a dream.

Before her eyes were the most beautiful pair of delicate, smooth legs. She wiggled her toes and smiled to herself. Serah could not contain her excitement for her wish had been fulfilled.

"Are you awake?"

Serah snapped her head up upon hearing a gentle, low voice and noticed a pair of the most caring eyes gazing into hers. He chuckled upon seeing her reaction, and Serah's eyes widened, admiring how all his features fit him so well. His smooth blond hair, his defined jawline, his soft brown eyes. Serah gulped and was speechless-Well she couldn't speak either way.

"I don't know if you remember. But you were washed up on the shore." Kres dabbed a wet towel on her forehead.

Serah could feel her heart skip a million beats; her emotions swelled inside her to an inexplicable size, and there was a constant pounding against her ribcage. She didn't know how to react anymore and felt tears inadvertently drip down her cheek. 

"Ah, don't cry. You're just fine now." He patted her head and smiled even more sweetly at her (well at least that was how Serah perceived it). Serah shook her tears and messily wiped them from her cheek. She sniffed silently to herself and ruffled her bedcovers.

"Well I'll have one of the maids to assist you. I have to respect your privacy. Goodbye." Kris rose from the bedside and before opening the door to leave, he waved at Serah, who was still bewildered by his actions. 

Upon hearing the door shut, Serah's face fell. 

*Don't leave me* She sadly stared at the sturdy brown door a few meters from the bed and rolled the bedcovers over her body.

*Thank-you again* Serah thought to herself and sunk back onto the bed, sinking back to sleep.


"Our prince is quite the benevolent person, eh?" The maid giggled as Serah looked out the window of the room. She had dressed herself in the clothes meant to serve the royal family. She held her legs close to her chest and sighed deeply.

"You haven't said anything since I've gotten here." The maid twirled around and placed her hands on her hips. "Don't be impolite now, girl..Just because Prince Kres fetched you from somewhere doesn't give you a more superior status than the other servants in this castle."

Serah blinked at the maid and nodded her head, looking down at the ground humbly.

"You are just...strange." The maid rolled her eyes and approached Serah.

"The prince has appointed you with a new position, dear."

Serah looked up at the maid with wide eyes; she tapped her fingers on her legs and nodded her head again. The maid looked at this reaction to be the "Okay" answer.

"Our royal majesties are having a ball party. It's an important diplomatic party, and we servants must make sure that everything is properly managed and set up.." "Remember to always bow when you are serving the guests. The guests are not ordinary people for they belong to royal families of other regions." The maid pointed her index finger up and twirled it. She was trying to remember something.

"Oh yes. This is also the party where the prince will formally meet his fiance, so you will be sure to not mess up, alright?"

Serah's eyes widened to the size of saucers once hearing this. The witch's warning resonated in her head.

"If the prince were to marry someone else, the next day, when the sun rises to its highest peak, you will perish.."

..Am I a goner?...


"My son, one of the princesses was too sick to visit you today. She is very frail, but if you find that no one here is of your choice today, then I assure you that the princess from the Temple will be brought to you." King Leuk smiled at his son who looked dashing in his black attire. 

"Thank you, father." Kres bowed his head and chuckled. "I'm already happy that you are giving me this important opportunity." 

He entered the ball-room with a confident look plastered on his face. He was still young, but he felt that he needed a woman to guide him as he advanced to age. It was early, but that didn't stop him.

All eyes fell on the beautiful golden headed prince who entered the dancing room. The servants, who were used to the prince's beauty, couldn't help but still feel nervous under his glowing appearance. There was this kind of ineffable, strong spirit that flowed in him. His foot-steps resonated on the floor, and the other royal families fell silent as he appeared in the middle of the ball-room.

"Welcome, all royal families of this country!" Prince Kres's pleasant voice flowed in everyone's ears.

"Today, I am to pick a wife, one who will be loyal, responsible, caring, and balanced." 

"I hope everyone enjoys this merry party." He grinned and raised his eyebrows, earning a few swoons from some of the princesses. 

The kings and queens of the other royal families knew that this was an excellent opportunity. For King Leuk's kingdom was one of the most prosperous; not only was their army strong, but their resources and treasures were abundant in countless numbers.

"Go talk to him, dear..." 

"You must behave yourself.."

"You know the results will be fabulous when you marry this fine young man."

The chatter was rampant, and Kres smiled as he knew how important of a figure he was. His eyes circled around the room for his future wife, but to his disappointment, none caught his eye in that instant.

"Hmm..." He placed his index finger below his chin and slowly rubbed it. "This is quite...unpleasant."

Kres walked through the crowd of royal families, and his eyes darted across the room, hoping to find someone that would ring a bell in his mind and heart.

But to no avail, he was disappointed again.

"Wait." Kres whispered to himself as his eyes fell upon someone buried back in the crowd. "Could...you be?"

He walked out of the crowded families, and to his disappointment, his gaze locked upon Serah, who was quietly pouring grape juice into the glass bowl.

"It's you." He gulped, but his expression also softened. Seeing you made him relaxed inside.

Serah, who felt someone staring at her, looked up to see the prince's eyes looking into hers. 

She, astonished by the eye-contact, quickly bowed her head humbly and slowly rose up.

"Hello, prince Kres." 

Kres turned around as he heard a overly sweet, small voice behind him. He looked down at a princess who was at the height of his chest and fidgeted his lips. Suddenly, the music in the background fell to a low melody, and the movement in the ball-room grew slowly as the princesses slow danced with the other princes in the room.

"Can we dance?" The princess bowed her head, and her eyes twinkled.

"How pretty." Kres smiled and took her hand, which disappeared under his grasp. He then gently touched her waist with his other hand, and the princess grinned as she locked her blue eyes on his soft, brown colored ones. 

Serah's heart pounded in the background as she sadly looked at the prince dancing with another woman. It hurt her so much inside that she ceased with her ordered instructions and immediately left for the door that led to the balcony.

Kres's eyes widened as he noticed that Serah had disappeared from his post. 

"Do you mind?" He asked the princess and placed her finger against her lips, slightly surprising her.

The princess frowned and crossed her arms. "Are you going to chase after that girl?" 

"She just needs to be reminded of her tasks. I will be back." Kres smiled, and the princess's heart melted under his voice and soft gaze. "Oh...okay, prince." 

Serah peeked out at the ocean that swayed in countless waves beneath the balcony. This wish of hers was not going to be fulfilled as she wanted it to be. Serah winced as she felt her feet press against the floor. She was a sea creature, and the feeling of feet coming into contact with a surface cut through like swords.

She placed her arms on the railing and then buried her head inside the nest she created. Her heart swelled, and she felt herself crying for her fate.

"I shouldn't have left the sea."

"You."

Serah's ears perked as she heard a familiar sound behind her. She shifted a little in her position and then turned around to find the prince looking at her.

"Don't cry like that." His voice was soft, and it tingled against Serah's ears.

But her eyes watered just by hearing those words for she couldn't say anything to back up her reasons for crying. She felt so useless, so vulnerable as a human. And here, her fate was being sealed by this party. She didn't know that her end would be so quick. She only wished that she could communicate with him and tell him everything.

But it seemed impossible when she was only mute.

Serah flinched as Kres quietly approached her

He patted her the top of her head and shushed her.

"There, there."


update december 7, 2013.