Chapter 6 - Interference

You Are The Only Exception

Bee-

Nichkhun pushed the button on his alarm clock immediately stopping the beeping from continuing. "Ugh.." He groaned as he pulled himself out of bed. Pushing a hand through his hair, he tiptoed downstairs and made himself a bowl of cereal. His two sisters were at it again, this time arguing over the milk. Interfering as he did yesterday, he grabbed the carton and pours sit into his own before pouring it for the two girls. Putting the milk back in the fridge, he settled on a chair and began eating. 

Once he finished his breakfast, he headed upstairs to get ready. Rubbing his tired eyes, he brushed his teeth. He ran out of the bathroom to check the time before sprinting into the shower. Once out, he changed his clothes and dried his hair using a towel before brushing it appropriately. Rubbing his hands through his damp hair, he walked across the room to prepare his rucksack. 

Books ✔ 

Pencilcase ✔ 

Phone ✔ 

Keys ✔ 

Money ✔ 

When he was sure he had everything he headed out the door just as his mother and father were downstairs to eat their breakfast. "Bye mum, dad!" he said before slipping on his shoes and heading out the door. 

Upon entering the school grounds, he spotted Wooyoung and Taeyeon by the lockers. "Good morning!" He greeted them as they smiled and returned the gesture. 

They were soon in the classroom and seated chatting away. 

'No sign of Yoona..' Nichkhun thought. 

He had hoped that nothing was wrong. Nichkhun was eager to know why she had suddenly stopped replying to his messages last night. 

 

As the door slid open, Nichkhun looked up in anticipation hoping it was Yoona. Much to his dissatisfaction, it was their teacher. 
 
Their teacher walked over to the desk at the front where he set his things down. He then began to pull out his register to roll call. 
 
"Alright.."
Nichkhun sat brainstorming all the places Yoona could be. What if she was kidnapped? Did she just oversleep? But then why didn't she reply to her texts? Questions were running through his head. 
 
"Mr Horvejkul!"
 
Nichkhun looked up to see his teacher tapping his desk, a clearly annoyed look on his face. 
"I'd appreciate if you actually listened in my lesson." He said as he spun around and walked back to his desk. 
Nichkhun hung his head low, flustered "Sorry sir.."
 
"Im Yoona"
 
Nichkhun's head shot up. 
 
"Has anybody seen Im Yoona?" 
The teacher questioned again. 
 
The teacher scanned the room only to find shaking heads. 
 
"Right .. Well I guess Ms Im is abs-"
"I'm here sir!!" 
The door swung open and the person Nichkhun had been longing to see appeared just visible in the door way. 
"Sorry I'm late sir!" She bowed continuously. 
"That's fine Ms Im, please take to your seat." He smiled. He loved Yoona, everyone loved Yoona. She was a good student who had always helped him with hand outs and other things. 
 
Yoona immediately made her way to her seat completely forgetting to greet her friends. Nichkhun looked down to hide the disappointment in his face. She was tapping her feet on the floor as if she was impatient, waiting for something. Worry and thought was written in block capitals all over her face. She didn't stop fidgeting which caused Nichkhun to wonder what was wrong. 
 
Soon enough, break came and when Nichkhun had went to grab Yoona's hand to talk to her, she had already sprinted out of the door with her phone on hand. Nichkhun only sighed. He glanced at Wooyoung and Taeyeon who seemed just as confused as he was. They went around school searching for her but returned to their seats hopeless. Just as their next lesson was about to start, she arrived. Late yet again.. 
 
At lunch, the same thing happened and she vanished out of the door. This time, Nichkhun sprinted after her. She appeared to not hear a single thing as she carried on sprinting, oblivious to Nichkhun who was calling for her. 
 
"Yoona! Wait up!" He called as he ran after her. He came to a halt as she had entered the girls' bathroom. Nichkhun stood, hand on the wall panting. He was flustered both from running and from Yoona walking into the girls' bathroom.
 
He turned around leaning on the wall with his back and waited for her to come back out. 
 
1 minute..
5 minutes.. 
10 minutes.. 
 
The door swung open. "Yoo-" Nichkhun said as he turned to the figure walking out of the bathroom. "Ahh.. Sorry" he bowed as an upperclassmen walked out. 
 
13 minutes..
15 minutes..
 
The door swung open and Yoona walked out, mind completely focused on her phone. Nichkhun glanced at the screen. 'Donghae..' He thought to himself. "Who's Donghae?" Nichkhun asked as Yoona spun around obviously having not noticed he was there. "Oh.. Nobody.. Just an old friend of mine.." She said. Her phone vibrated and her eyes immediately flickered back to the screen. 
 
The rest of the school day went on with Yoona's head up in the clouds. Nichkhun had guessed that she was thinking about Donghae. 
 
By the time school had finished Yoona had already left the classroom. Nichkhun grabbed his things and slipped his rucksack onto his back before waving goodbye to Taeyeon and Wooyoung. 
 
Holding a book and his pencil case to his chest with one hand, he ran waving after Yoona. Chasing Yoona, he stumbled upon the school carpark. Yoona had come to a halt in front of a car. The door from the driver's side opened and a male figure emerged. Nichkhun his behind a tree watching from afar. He was too far to hear the conversation. The male suddenly grabbed her hand and she tried to shake him off. "Donghae! Get off me!" Yoona screamed. 'So thats Donghae..' Nichkhun thought. Just as Nichkhun was about to run and save Yoona, Donghae pulled her into a hug before kissing her.  Nichkhun froze in place unable to move. His brain was ordering his feet to move but he couldn't. Not after what he had just spectated. 
 
Nichkhun stood in the same place until they had driven off in Donghae's car. Grabbing his chest he looked down. 'Pabo.. Why are you feeling so upset and angry? Yoona is just your friend.. You have no right to feel this way!' He thought to himself. 
 
His vision was blurred and he felt a drop of moisture fall down his face and drop into his hand. Breathing became a difficult task. His breath became irregular and more tears began to fall. 'You have only spoken to her for 4 days! Why are you being like this?' Pulling the hood of his hoodie up to cover his face, he picked up the book and pencil case that he had dropped on the floor from shock previously.  Dragging his feet, his head hung low. Breaking into a sprint he ran. He ran and he ran and he ran, each step becoming increasingly difficult. Tears were streaking his face. 'Pathetic' 'Worthless' he scolded himself. 
 
When he reached home, he darted straight up to his room. "Khu-" his mother called. Running into his room, he slammed his door shut and leaned against it. Sliding to the floor, he sat thinking about the events of the day.