Love is Tough

The Matchmaker

            ‘Bookstore? Could you find out what kind of book he may like? I can wait to see you soon, wanna hear what measures for the next. Thank you bro, I Owe you. –K-’

            Joonmyun read the message from Kris once again then hide his cell phone quickly as he saw Kyungsoo walking out from the restroom.

            “Are you done?”

            Kyungsoo nodded. “Shall we go now?”

            “Sure.” Joonmyun hand over one cup of popcorn to the younger then grab the other bare hand as he lead Kyungsoo into the cinema.

            “Did you and Kris still frequently sending messages to each other?” Joonmyun asked when they found the sit.

            “Sure. But he hasn’t asked me to meet him up yet.”

            The aversion appeared within his chest when he heard the narrative of Kyungsoo. As he impressed Kyungsoo'd love to meet his admirer.

            ‘He gotta like Kris. He had seen Kris before I told him everything. I even gave him some photos of Kris. Moreover, Kris is handsome. How could he ignore it?’

            Joonmyun speaks on his mind. Now he is completely regretting his job as a matchmaker after having met this tough situation, especially when a sweet guy like Kyungsoo was involved.

            They’re both currently watching a latest western movie as they had previously planned. During the movie progresses, Joonmyun could not concentrate on the big screen in front of him. He glanced continously at Kyungsoo who sit quietly in his place, eating popcorn while watching the movie solemnly.

            Joonmyun just sat in silent, staring at the face next to him. Enjoy the wonderful scenery which he always admired for some time. But suddenly, Kyungsoo turned. And then their eyes met within a very close distance. They could feel a gust of the breath on their the face each other. Even in the dark, Kyungsoo could feel the burst of red adorning his cheeks.

            They're fall in silence for a moment. Then a boost from nowhere urge Joonmyun to his face closer to Kyungsoo’s. Their nose are now completely touching.

            Joonmyun chest skipped a beat as he squeezed Kyungsoo’s sweaty fingers. On the next second, he is entirely leaned his lips against Kyungsoo’s springy warm lips, bringing them into the intoxicating kiss. He pull the lower lip, kissed slowly, giving a lovely sensation that spreads throughout his entire body, especially when he found that Kyungsoo responded his actions. The younger is involving to play his lips softly , following Joonmyun’s movement on his lips.

            But a blaring screams make them aware that they're still inside the cinema. They quickly separated they're lips that had been united for a while. They have to let the moist lips lose the momentary pleasure.

            The awkward ambience is filling the air around them instantly.

            “Oh.. I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean it.. I-I.. I..” Joonmyun realized the huge mistake he had just done directly.

            “No.. It was my fault.. I just.. I was carried away by the atmosphere. It’s dark and..” Kyungsoo also realize that he shouldn’t did anything stupid thing earlier.

            They’re went on to watch the movie silently. Even when they have finished watching, they’re still trapped in a endless silence.

            “Kyungsoo-ya.. I really sorry about..”

            “Just forget it. Just assume it never happened before. Let's pretend we're just watching the movie without any respites.” Kyungsoo smile. Perhaps more precisely smiling awkwardly, trying to conceal a shame because he had seemed to enjoy the kiss.

            Joonmyun only biting his lower lip with a uncertainty feeling. He felt guilty for gone too far. But he also couldn't ignoring the feelings of how much he likes those lovely lips. He even expecting the another kiss on him again and again.

            “J-Joonmyun-ah.. I gotta go..”

            “Let me walk you home.” Joonmyun offered.

            Kyungsoo shook his head rapidly. “No need. I’ll leave first. See ya..”

            Without permission, without another words, without waiting for a response from Joonmyun, Kyungsoo turn around and start to walk with rapid strides. After five steps, he runs faster without looking back at all.

*

            Kyungsoo and Joonmyun need several days to recover their feelings. They’re pretending to forget the kiss they had before in the cinema. Although Joonmyun felt a little bit disappointed but he didn't brave enough to impose his will against Kyungsoo’s decision to forget a very precious thing for him.

            ‘Guess what, Kris send me a message. He asked me to meet him up this evening. Oh, What do you think?’

            ‘Hey, you know, Kris is a very nice man. He is a very kind-hearted person. He's really sweet and gentle. He was very attentive to the little things that escape my sights.’

            ‘He just sent me my favorite blueberry cheese cake. Oh my God! How does he knew my favorite cake? You must be the one who told him! He’s sweet, totally sweet!’

                Joonmyun can not continue to read the contents of every message which was sent to him by Kyungsoo. It’s all about Kris. As a matchmaker who has been paid by Kris, he should be happy because his mission nearly accomplished well. Kyungsoo looks attracted to Kris. He just had to continue his efforts a bit more, making Kyungsoo completely fell in love with his client, so he will be eased in expressed his feelings to Kyungsoo later.

            But rather than feeling relieved, he just felt miserable. He knows, if it's not for Kris, he will never be able to know a sweet figure like Kyungsoo. He should not be against the rules he made by himself on this job : falling in love with the client or the target. He has passed every one, but why he could not skipped this one? Why should Kyungsoo? Why should a man who is preferred by his own friend?

            Bep.. Bep..

            Joonmyun’s phone is beeping twice as a message coming up. He grab his phone reclutantly and start to read the message.

            From : Kyungsoo

            Why didn’t you reply me? Are you okay? Please message me immediately. I miss you.

            Joonmyun sighs. “Yeah, you miss your friend who always make a time to hear all your stories about Kris. You didn’t miss me at all, Kyungsoo..”

            He throw away his phone to the bed then continue to read the paper work on his hands. One minute and he throw the paper to the floor. He can’t even keep concentrating to his lecture assignments.

            Inside his head there is only Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo. That man has taken over all of the contents of his head. He even mastering his common sense to remain a good man, not a traitor who snatch on his friend's crush.

            It’s very difficult for Joonmyun to think of anything else at the moment. He could not escape. He knew, he liked Kyungsoo, a prude man with wide eyes, beautiful thick lips and streaks of red on his cheeks.

            Imagining Kyungsoo’s smile, laughing while showing off the rows of his white teeth, or even pouted his lips, making Joonmyeon feels weak and powerless to resist those charms.

            This is the first time he felt something different in his heart when he met another guy. That was his first experience of falling in love. And it should be wonderful, but why was it so painful? If only he met Kyungsoo earlier than Kris.

                And now, when he really loved Kyungsoo, in the same time he must giving up on his first love to someone else. Moreover, Kyungsoo himself seemed like Kris back. So why should he persisted it? That's why he had to avoid Kyungsoo for several times, he need the time to soothe his broken heart.

            Suddenly, he miss their kiss in the dark..

*

            Joonmyun avoid everyone for a few days and remain in seclusion for a few moments. He even told all of his clients that he was in an urgent business so he could not carry out the task which has been agreed for the time being.

            But one day, Kris came to his house, knocked on his room door, making this cupid obliged to accept the guest. He couldn’t escape at all.

            “Oh, Kris.. I mean, hi.. come in..” Joonmyun said as he permitted Kris to enter his room.

            “Sorry for disturbing you. I know you were so busy. I heard from Kyuhyun hyung that you were sick after that business and maybe I can’t meet you up for a while but..”

            “Oh.. Yeah, sorry for the pending task. I can start over tomorrow. I know you were worried because you’ve paid me earlier but it delayed for my own business. I’m sorry..”

            Kris remonstrated. “No.. No.. You’re misunderstanding. It’s not about the money. I came here to see you because Kyuhyun hyung said that you were sick. You even didn’t attend the class for several days. I was really worried.”

            Joonmyun smile. “Thank you so much. Actually I’m fine. I just had a fever for two days. But I’m okay now, trust me.” He is trying to look cool to cover up his lies.

            “So.. How about you and.. Kyungsoo. I met him last week and we talked a lot about you.” Another lies came out from his mouth. The last time he spent with Kyungsoo was on the beach, he talked nothing about Kris.

            Since he has a crush on Kyungsoo, he only talk about Kris by messages. When they both met up, everything is about him and Kyungsoo, there’s no the third name.

            Kris sighs. “About him, I'm confused. I wanted to surrender but on the other side I want to hold it on.”

            Joonmyun startled. “What? Why?”

            “I don’t know.. He seems like.. Like he met someone new and.. Yeah, he’s just change. I mean, he still good to me, still replying to my message and still chatted on the phone with me. We even had met several times outside. But, I don’t know, he’s became indifferent. So I want to ask him out, just confess anything so it will be cleared. But I think I know the answer.”

            “Don’t make up one’s mind. It’s too early. Maybe he just tempt you, to evince the truth of your feelings. Listen, I’ll call him and make an appointment. When I meet him, I’ll make sure his feelings to you. Please be patient.” Joonmyun said seriously.

            “I would not expecting much. I get the feeling that whatever as hard as you strive, the result will be the same.”

*

            “Why were you ignoring me?” Kyungsoo looks sulky. “And why you didn’t send me message back? You know it’s important to me to talk to you. You’re the one who I trusted in this world!”

            “I’m so sorry. I was sick for a few days. So I couldn't do anything. I even skipped my classes.”

            “What??? Sick? Why didn’t you told me? I will come to see you.” Kyungsoo sounded extremely concerned.

            “I’m okay now. I just finished attending my class. I just called you to say sorry because I seemed ignore your messages.” Joonmyun is trying so hard to speak normally, hiding his excitement by seeing Kyungsoo’s face after a few days of painful.

            Kyungsoo bite his lower lips. “At least you can tell me everything than drown me confused in a big apprehensive instead. I miss my friend, I miss you..”

            Joonmyun regret his stupid actions last week recently. Hearing the sadness in the Kyungsoo’s voice made ​​him hate himself more than anything. But he should not be lulled. He has to do the right thing by not to disappoint Kris, hurting Kyungsoo and get the job done properly.

            "Kyungsoo-ya, I want you to promise me one thing." Joonmyun paused for a moment before continuing. “Please say 'yes' as an answer will be asked to you later."

            "But.. I don’t know what do you mean.."

            "Please.." Joonmyun interrupting Kyungsoo. "By that, I'll be happy. You'll understand later. But please.. Promise me.."

            Kyungsoo is looking at Joonmyun. He doesn’t understand at all actually. He would like to inquire further away but a handsome figure of a man emerged from the walls behind Joonmyun a sudden. The man was Kris.

            “Kris..”

            Kris smiled awkwardly. He slowly approached Joonmyun and Kyungsoo and stood up right beside his best friend.

            "Kris is going to tell you something. I hope you will listened properly. I'll go first. "Joonmyun impose a huge smile on his face, which was about to hold back the tears that will be spilled over.

            "Wait.. Where you going? Can’t you just stay here? Three are better than two, right?" Kyungsoo still trying to force Joonmyun to stay.

            Joonmyun smiled bitterly. "Kyuhyun hyung need me. I'll couldn’t staying any longer." Then he glanced at Kris who stands nervously next to him. He must wait Joonmyun to go before he could talk to Kyungsoo obviously.

            "Remember my last request earlier, Kyungsoo-ya.. Please.. "

            Kyungsoo stared at Joonmyun for a few seconds before finally answering. "All right.."

            With those words, Joonmyun turned around leaving the two men and started walking. Tears fell slowly as he stepped. He can hear Kris began talking awkwardly. He can even hear that Kris speak haltingly while Kyungsoo just keep in silent.

            Before he turned into the corridor, he heard Kris asked. "Will you be my boyfriend?"

            Joonmyun doesn't need to hear anymore. He ran. His feet took him run farther and faster to somewhere. His eyes were blurred by the tears.

            One more pair has already been united, but at the same time he broke his own heart, killing something precious, lost his first love. And it was excruciatingly painful. aded his brain, pierced his heart, making him regret everything. Love is tough.

*