It Started with A Smile

It Started with A Smile

The only thing I could think to do was to laugh it off. I glanced from face to face nervously before I just scoffed.

“I think Youngjae misheard. I told him that I’d like to play basketball WITH you guys.”

From the corner of my eye, I saw Youngjae open his mouth, but before he could say anything, I grabbed the ball out of Daehyun’s arms and headed onto the court. Confused, the guys exchanged looks before heading towards me, while Himchan and Daehyun stayed behind, elbowing each other and looking awfully suspicious.

Once again, I was snapped out of my reverie when Zelo came and stood next to me.

“Yah, are you going to do it or not? And what the heck was Youngjae hyung talking about?”

“What do you think? That smarty pants guessed.”

I started to bounce the ball towards the hoop and prayed that I would be able to shoot. After all, it’s been years since I’ve placed my hands on a basketball.

And it went in. Zelo sighed and dropped the topic. 

“Noona, you really didn’t lose your skills after all these years.”

I just stood there and watched as Yongguk and Jongup scooped up the ball and began playing again. I tilted my head towards Zelo and chuckled.

“Well shooting is the only thing I can do… I’m so unfit I’ll probably die of exhaustion playing a proper game after like thirty seconds. Anyway, I might start heading home now…”

 Before Zelo could register my chickening out of confessing, I slowly inched my way off the court before anyone noticed.

I sighed as I edged away, stopping and watching the boys play basketball once every few steps before they realised I was leaving. I’d probably be waiting all night if I was waiting for a perfect time to confess… Today maybe just wasn’t the right day.

“Where are you going?”

I turned around to see Youngjae and gave him a weak smile. How could I forget that he didn’t like playing?

“Home.”

“Didn’t you say you want to play basketball with the guys?” he smirked.

I glared at him and just snapped.

“Why the heck did you have to open your big mouth?!”

He took a step back and looked genuinely surprised. In the background, Zelo came towards us.

“I…I’m sorry…I didn’t mean to put you on the spot…”

“Well you did anyway, didn’t you? You just… urgh…”

I stormed off muttering angrily, ignoring Youngjae as he quickly walked after me, calling my name repeatedly until he Zelo called him back.  

“Confess my … Why the heck did you think you would ever muster up the courage to confess? Of all days as well… You pabo…”

I had no idea why I was so worked up about it. There would be other chances right? But I was annoyed to the point I began tearing up. What the heck was wrong with me?

I rushed through the park to the closest bus stop, wanting to get home more than ever and wrap myself in a blanket and watch my dramas. Only, some idiot decided to grab my backpack and stop me in my tracks. I whirled around, ready to give a piece of my mind to whoever it was, but faltered, when I saw that it was Daehyun. I swear as I stood staring at him, he could hear the thundering of my heart against my ribs and once again, my legs were turning into jelly. Surely I’ve been around him for long enough for this to stop, but it felt as if my nervousness was intensified. I tried to seem as calm and collected as possible, but my voice shook as I spoke.

“W-what?”

“Are you ok? You looked really angry after talking to Youngjae…”

“I’m just tired…”

“You said you wanted to play with us, but you left without even saying goodbye…”

He pouted.

I giggled and patted his cheek.

“Didn’t want to interrupt the game.”

“Are you really going home?”

I nodded. I nearly died again when he put his arm around my shoulder.

“I’ll come with you.”

“Dae...You don’t have to…”

He chuckled.

“I think I do, after all, I was the cause of your… anger towards Youngjae.”

Heart hammering against my chest, I stopped in my tracks, my cheeks, burning up. So many thoughts raced through my mind. Did he know? What did Youngjae tell him? Did Zelo say something? Oh God.

He stood in front of me and grabbed my hands.

“The thing is…”

Daehyun’s P.O.V

Second confession attempt. I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks. Breath in, breath out.

“The thing is… I want to.”

I smiled at her before took a deep breath and continued.

“I want to walk you home every day, accompany you anywhere if you ask me to and make sure that you’re ok.”

I laughed and let go of one of her hands to wave me hand in front of her face as she stared at me with a glazed over look.

“Hey are you even listening?”

She blushed and nodded. I brushed the stray strand of hair out of her face and tucked it behind her ear. She looked like an angel, with the soft glow of the now setting sun illuminating her features from behind. My heart continued to skip beats.

“So, what I’m saying is… I like you. I’ve liked you for a while now.”

I looked at her expectantly, waiting for whatever her reaction would be. My hands were getting so clammy and I swear I was sweating bullets.

After what felt like an eternity, I decided to pull her closer in to a hug, ignoring the thought that she could probably feel me shaking from nervousness.

“W-what?”  

I laughed, leaned back and kissed her forehead.

She flushed pink and smiled.

If smiles could kill, I would have been slaughtered by her a million times over.

Narrator’s P.O.V

I shyly glanced up at him, wondering whether I heard what I wanted to hear and whether I was in some fantasy where he confessed and kissed my forehead. I continued staring at him with a goofy smile.

“Yah, are you just going to respond like this when I sincerely confessed to you?” he joked.

“What?”

“I like you, you pabo. Is it going to sink in?”

“Heh.”

I latched my arms around his neck and as I felt his arms wrapping around me, I whispered in his ear.

“I like you too.”

I shuffled out of the hug and slipped my hand into his warm, comforting ones and began pulling him towards my bus stop. I thought I would be the one all flustered and blubbering about this confession to the point that my legs would give in, causing me to stumble to the ground, or the one who would be frozen on the spot. When Daehyun wouldn’t budge, I turned around and gave him a quizzical look, upon seeing that my goofy smile from just a few seconds ago was mirrored in his face. I shook my head and laughed, ignoring the fact that my arms and legs were feeling all feeble and weak. I tugged his arm harder and he finally moved from his spot.

As we walked, I glanced up at him.

“You know I was going to confess first right?”

He scoffed.

“Well I beat you to it.”

“Well if Youngjae didn’t open his big mouth I would have done it first.”

“I know. Zelo and Youngjae told me. Besides, either way, I still would have been first if they didn’t interrupt earlier.”

My eyes widened. What? 

“What? I swear you seemed as if you were interested in the guys… What is this – amazing view, you were talking about?”

“You.”

If my cheeks could turn anymore red, they would have done so at this moment. I shuddered and elbowed him.

“If you pull anything greasy like that again, I will go home alone.”

He pouted.

“Can’t a man express his feelings that way?”

I made a face.

“No cheesiness ok?”

“Fine…”

I beamed at him and he let out a soft chuckle. As we walked through the park to the bus stop, hand in hand, I still tried to process what had just happened. I felt so light and giddy, as if this was the start of something amazing, something amazing that started with a smile. 

 I looked up at him as we walked, still not believing my eyes at the guy who was right next to me, whose fingers were intertwined with mine, was Jung Daehyun, my angel in disguise.

Author's note:

It's done :) I hope you enjoy the last chapter of "It Started with A Smile"! Thank you for reading, and hopefully enjoying this fic! :)