Unreachable

It Started with A Smile

I sat and stared at the clock, the seconds couldn’t go any slower. I glanced over at Zelo, who grinned at me. He quickly scribbled something on a piece of paper and threw it over to me.

She shoots, and she scores!

I looked up at him, eyebrows raised, though I had a hunch at what he was hinting at.

He laughed before tearing out a sheet of paper from his book and shooting it into the bin.

“CHOI JUNHONG! No throwing things around in the classroom!”

He apologised then winked at me, before returning to his… whatever he was supposed to be doing.

I shook my head at him and smiled, thinking back to when I told Zelo about Daehyun.

***

Zelo and I strolled along the footpath, no words being spoken between us, just the sound of the cars driving by and his bouncing basketball. We were both too tired to make conversation, after the hours of exams that we just did, revelling in the silence between us.

“OH NO!” I stopped mid step.

“WHAT? WHAT?!”

“I forgot to do a question…” I sighed.

Zelo rolled his eyes.

“I thought it was something serious…”

I glared at him and scrunched up my nose.

“It is serious…”

He ruffled my hair, laughed and we continued walking. Curse Zelo and his towering height.

“So what’s been happening in the world of miss over worrier lately? I feel as if we haven’t spoken in ages.”

I blushed, thinking about the sudden influx of people asking about Youngjae.

“Nothing much, except for the fact that three different people asked me variations of whether I was dating Youngjae and ‘how we were doing’. I mean, what the heck? Don’t they have better things to think about? We’re clearly just friends…”I ranted.

“What’s wrong with Youngjae?”

“Nothing…”

“Then why not go for him?”

I nearly froze once again. Youngjae? He was super smart, and, I will admit, cute… but he was Youngjae.

“Umm… he’s not my type…”

Zelo scoffed.

“Who is your type then?”

 “The unreachable type…”

“Unreachable type? Who can be so unreachable?”

I laughed bitterly and decided to steer away from where the conversation was clearly going.

“Enough about me… What about you? Have you ever reacted differently to any girl before?” I prodded, thinking about the fact that Daehyun was the only guy I ever got so nervous to the point of trembling, whenever he was in a 50cm radius of me.

He stared at me, questioningly before answering.

“What?”

“Like… have you ever felt different around any girl before? Reacted differently…” I peered up at him, hoping that he was getting the gist of what I was talking about.

“You mean, who was the girl I’ve liked the most?”

“Uhh… Pretty much?”

“No one … Not yet, I don’t think.”

I huffed, disappointed with his answer.

“Is there someone that you like the most?”

I quickened my pace, realising what hole I dug myself into. Zelo, unfortunately, realised and grabbed my wrist, pulling me back.

“Noona! Tell me!”

I glanced up at him, torn as to whether to tell him or not. Taking my silence as some sort of cue, he began guessing.

“Does he go to our school?”

I nodded.

“One of our classes?”

“Mmm…”

“Then how is he so unreachable? Which class? Or classes?”

“Physics…”

“Physics…” he muttered. “Physics? How are the guys unreachable then?”

“I forgot to mention – taken and ureachable…”

“He has a girl– REALLY? HIM?”

“Who?”

“Daehyun-hyung!” he cried, staring intently at me.

I turned away and nodded slowly.

“HA! I KNEW IT!” he cheered and ran off ahead of me.

It took me a few moments to realise that he had sped off without me, so I quickly ran as fast as I could, just to catch up to the baby giant. As soon as he was within an arm’s length, I grabbed onto his backpack.

He turned around and giggled mischievously.

“Not. A. Word. To anyone!”

He nodded and motioned to zip up his mouth, then proceeded to walk. After a few moments, he tugged my arm and looked down at me pleadingly. I really had to resist the urge laugh at his aegyo attempt.

“Noona…”

“Yes?”

“I’m going to play some basketball with Jongup and Yongguk… Well…I’m supposed to meet up with them soon… Is it alright if I leave you here today?”

I laughed and stood on my toes to return the hair ruffle.

“It’s fine, you big baby. I can’t believe you guys still have energy to play… I just want to teleport straight onto my bed.”

He stuck his tongue out at me and ran off.

“Bye Noona! Sleep well!”

I laughed and continued on my walk home. Well… Now Zelo knew… Hopefully he won’t be bullied into telling anyone, especially Daehyun… I sighed, looking forward to my precious sleep.

With every step, I told myself, you’re going to be closer to your dear bed.

From Author: HOW AMAZING IS BADMAN!? The boys are freaking gorgeous and my admiration of Yongguk has grown tonnes. I cannot wait until the album arrives!