Ice Cream!

It Started with A Smile

Present Day

As soon as the bell rang, I could not help but haphazardly throw all my books and pens into my bag. Zelo trailed behind me as I pretty much bounded out of the classroom to my locker. When we finally reached our lockers, I burst into a fit of giggles, earning weird looks from the other students, while Zelo just rolled his eyes and shook his head.

“Are you really that excited?”

“He knows I exist!”

“He’s just Daehyun…”

I stared at him incredulously.

“JUST Daehyun? Yah, Choi Junhong. He’s not ‘just’ Daehyun…”

Zelo stared back at me, unconvinced.

“Well… I guess he is…Don’t question me alright?! I’ve never felt this way about someone before!” I snapped.

He laughed at me, for about the millionth time today, before closing his locker and pulling out his iPod.

After pulling out some textbooks to take home, and saying goodbye to Youngjae and Himchan, we both walked to the gates.

“Ready?”

I nodded.

“You know, sometimes, I question who the older one is… the only other time I’ve seen you so excited is when we go get ice cream…”

I stuck my tongue out.

“Yah! Just because you’re taller and don’t appreciate the joy of ice cream, doesn’t mean that you’re somehow older than I am! And we are getting ice cream…”

“Whatever you say, Noona…”

“READY ZELO?”

I turned around to see Yongguk and Jongup racing towards us.

“You’re going down today hyung!” he cried, as he motioned for Jongup to throw him the basketball.

As he caught it, he winked at me and began to head off. Now that they were gone, where the heck was Daehyun?!

I felt a hand on my shoulder making me jump about a metre into the air. I turned around, ready to give that person a piece of my mind about scaring people, only to turn into complete mush when I saw that it was Daehyun.

“Sorry to keep you waiting...I am so hungry right now…”

All I could do was nod. I seriously needed to snap out of it…

“S-so where do you want to go?” I stammered.

He beamed at me, probably killing me, along with the other girls within a 5km radius, in the process.

“I know an amazing ice cream shop – let’s go!”

I could not help but giggle as his eyes glazed over a bit as he mentioned ice cream.

We set of, walking towards this ice cream shop he continued to rave about.

“…it’s got these cool flavours where you won’t be able to find anywhere else, like…” he furrowed his brow, thinking hard before his face lit up again, “CHEESECAKE! It’s amazing. Oh God…”

I shook my head and laughed. Although we were going to graduate in a few months, he was just like a five year old when he spoke about this ‘amazing’ ice cream shop of his.

I glanced up at him as we walked.

“Daehyun, you’re pretty much salivating as you’re talking… Is the ice cream really that good?”

He stared at me, as if I had said something blasphemous.

“It’s amazing. I kid you not.”

“So what’s your favourite flavour?”

“Well… it used to be chocolate… Then it was mint choc-chip, then vanilla…I don’t really have one… What about you?” he beamed.

“Uhh… cookies and cream, I guess?”

He then looked as if he was about to jump up and down in excitement.

“Cookies and cream is the best! There was a strawberry cheesecake one that I saw last time and it looked so good! Ahhh!”

We continued on, with Daehyun looking extremely excited, maybe as excited as I would normally get when I went to get ice cream with Zelo and Youngjae, while I stole glances at him as we walked. Thank goodness that I didn’t freeze or faint when he spoke to me, though I swear my legs were shaking as we walked and I was going to suddenly trip over and embarrass myself.

“HA! We’re here!” he cried, suddenly stopping and causing me to walk straight into him.

He grabbed my arm to stop me from further stumbling over my own feet, before dragging me into the pastel coloured ice cream shop.

He guided me to the vast range of ice cream and as soon as I saw what was on offer, I felt as if I was in heaven.  I felt my lips twitch into a smile as my eyes skimmed over the mountains of sweet goodness.

Daehyun’s P.O.V

I could not help but smile as she stared at the different flavours of ice cream in this place. Someone who loves ice cream as much as I do!

I remember when I was walking to the basketball courts to meet up with the guys a few months back, I glanced into this shop and died a little when I saw all the ice cream. It was as if every single flavour was calling me, dragging me into this little piece of heaven. Now I had found someone to share it with.

After marvelling over the vast amounts of flavours, I guided her over to the booth near the window while I went to order my long awaited strawberry cheesecake ice cream and sundae for her. For some reason, I felt so giddy today.

I carefully walked to the booth where she was sitting and gazing outside, probably at the park across the road. I had this feeling that I was going to embarrass myself or trip over my feet or something… What the heck?

I chuckled as I saw that her face just lit up when I placed the ice cream in front of her.

“I bet that this would be the best ice cream that you have ever tried.”

She raised her eyebrow at me.

“You never know… Zelo did take me to another place and as soon as I stepped out, I wanted to go back in for more…”

“Trust me. This place is the best.”

I stared at her as she carefully scooped up a spoonful of her ice cream and placed it into .  I could imagine the fireworks going off as soon as the ice cream had touched her lips. She looked up at me and smiled.

“I told you. If you want any food, just come to me, and I’ll take you to the best place there is!”

She giggled and continued eating. I looked down at my ice cream and saw that it was starting to drip. I frowned before quickly off the melted bits before it went all over my hand and, as expected, the strawberry cheesecake flavour was pure ecstasy.

Narrator’s P.O.V

He stared at the ice cream as if it was the most beautiful thing in the world. I could pretty much see him salivate as he ate. When he lifted his cone of the sweet goodness of strawberry cheesecake ice cream, he gazed at it lovingly, right before it went into his mouth.

My heart could not take any more of his adorable antics. Even when he was simply eating, he was perfect. While he was drooling over his ice cream, I was pretty much drooling over him. I could not believe that I was here, eating ice cream with the Jung Daehyun.

For a brief second, he tore away from his precious ice cream and caught my gaze. I quickly looked down at the remnants of my sundae, face burning, now that he had caught me staring at him.

He chuckled. How was it that a laugh could sound so beautiful?

“The ice cream wasn’t enough to cool you down? Your face is tomato red.”

I laughed nervously and fanned myself. He grinned back and quickly finished his ice cream, before pouting when he finally did.

We sat there for another few hours, talking about nearly everything before we left. As I walked home, I could not believe that I spent a whole afternoon with him. My heart was still pounding against my chest. I really have never felt this way about anyone before. He was so easy to talk to as well.

When I got home, my phone vibrated and I quickly pulled it out of my pocket.

From: Daehyun

Don’t you just want to eat more of that amazing ice cream? :)

I laughed and quickly sent back a reply.

To: Daehyun

Is that all you think about? Ice cream?

From: Daehyun

Nope. Cheesecake as well. Thanks again for picking up my phone, by the way. I had a nice time today.

To: Daehyun

Of course. More food right? I did too.

From: Daehyun

:)

I walked into my room in a daze still not believing that this actually happened.