Episode Four

Catch Me If You Can

 “What's your biggest fear?” Jaejoong opened his umbrella, sheltering the two beneath it keeping themselves dry under the storm during the setting sun.

 

“I have a lot of fears.” The girl with the messy dark hair answered. “I fear that I can't help my best friend, I fear failing, I fear falling, and I fear of time running out.” She wrapped an arm around his.

 

“But what is your biggest fear?” He asked again, guiding her away from In Heaven Apartments.

 

“I fear losing you.” The honesty in her words made him clench the umbrella handle a little tighter. “Is that bad? That I fear losing you more than time running out..?”

 

“Do you think I will leave one day?” Neither looked at each other.

 

“You could get bored of me. You do keep telling me to not get attached.” She inched a little closer to his body. “What is your biggest fear?”

 

“I fear one day you will discover a part of me and you will realize I'm not as amazing as you think I am.” He chuckled slightly, “or saying something that will scare you off.”

 

The girl looked up at him. He didn't look scared, he seemed serene. What are you thinking about? “Well, that's a dumb thought then, I don't think I can ever look at you as if you are anything but magic.” she tapped his nose with the tip of her pointer finger.

 

“Magic?” He asked. No one had ever called him magic before.

 

“Magic.” She repeated, resting her head on his arm. She wanted to feel his skin but clothes got in the way of that. To Mitzy, Jaejoong was like a dream, a beautiful dream that stood before her whispering in her ear I am real. The thing about dreams is that eventually one must wake up. You can cherish the dream, remember it to the best of your ability and try to live it as if it were real, but a dream is a dream, and Mitzy feared waking up and the magic from her dream would be gone with the rising sun. To Jaejoong, Mitzy was a little piece of the world that felt okay. He could compare it to morning coffee, she wasn't hot, she wasn't luke warm, and she wasn't cold. She was a soft touch, and sweet kiss to wake you up. She seemed like this never ending supply of warm morning coffee, but he wondered if one day he would wake up and there would be no more coffee, and then what would nuzzle his skin in the morning? Vodka?

 

The Police Department rested in West Roseport, between Coffee && Donuts- a small cafe full of delicious treats and flowers, and Have A Little Sushi- a sushi bar that was mainly known for carry-out orders throughout the police department. Although the three buildings were very well known throughout Roseport, West Ave never seemed very lively. The street lights were finally glittering as the evening got darker, but no cars were moving except for the occasional patrol car parking or driving out.

 

Changmin sat across Zainab- they were both in the tiny lounge, sitting across each other on one of the three tiny rectangular tables, the sound of the vending machines made small hums to keep the atmosphere cozy. Zainab remained silent thinking of how Taemin looked less worried when she left. She picked up her fork, poking at her omelet she had ordered earlier but never dug into it enough to eat it. Changmin had his bacon sampler sitting in front of him but he was too preoccupied with the police report Minho had given about the crime scene. What was in that stupid box? What did they steal?

 

Jin walked in holding a new to-go cup, walking over to the vending machines. “You're still here?” He asked the two. They looked up, now realizing the time. “You two were suppose to leave an hour ago.” But Jin didn't look surprised, it was as if he expected the two to be there.

 

“Sorry, we got carried away.” Changmin closed one of the many folders containing the documents gathered for the assignment.

 

“No no, don't mind me.” Jin popped three quarters into the vending machine and pressed a few buttons- one letter, two numbers. The machine seemed to groan from being woken up from its slumber and groggily went to work. “I just want some M'n'm's.” Jin turned looking over at the two, Changmin was still peering at a few documents and Zainab continued to poke at her food. “Mmm. Where's the other pair?” Jin grabbed the remote and turned the television set on as the vending machine finished it's job, the news was on- well it was always on as it was the news channel.

 

“Mitzy left early, she said she had something she needed to do. Yunho was complaining about how boring it is to be here so I sent him home with an . Zainab said she'd take their place and keep me company as I try to figure this out.” The truth was that Zainab didn't want to go home and be left alone with her thoughts, and Changmin 'persuaded' Minho to take Yunho to Mirotic Hotel.

 

“Sometimes the answer is right in front of you.” Jin smirked slightly, he grabbed the M'n'm's and leaned against the machine watching the television. A blonde woman was announcing an arrest that was going on in the next city over- Slimwood was abut to Roseport so hearing news from either was like hearing the neighborhood gossip. A few men were being walked out of the skyscraper with handcuffs, but it was the headline that got Changmin's attention.

 

“A tip off occurred earlier today as Attorney Jones, Wu, and Ruiz were caught with the crime of with holding evidence for the State vs Nguyen case that occurred two months ago with the charges against Nguyen” The blonde woman announced.

 

“Did she say attorney?” Changmin interrupted.

 

“Yeah, did you hear about that case? Nguyen should have won that easily.” Jin rose the volume slightly. “Now that I think about it, I heard that the State used Lee Law Firm for the case? The Mayor was pr-et-ty stoked about all the coverage he was getting.” Jin yawned, opening the bag of chocolates. “Anyway...” He trailed off. “I'll be in my office if you need me, don't over work yourselves.”
Changmin stood up, paced up and down the lounge. Zainab cocked a brow watching him. “That's it, that's brilliant, that's amazing.” Changmin kept saying but never said what 'it' was. “This is why Jin shouldn't have quit, he's like a God sent, I bet he knew all along!”

 

“What does Jin know?” Zainab asked.

 

“Lee Law Firm! Those guys stole evidence against Lee Law Firm!”

 

“Uhmm, okay, lets pretend I believe you.” Zainab began. “Why would they steal evidence against a law firm, to show the public that whatever they did was a big oo?”

 

Changmin stopped pacing. He froze for a moment then returned to his seat. “They wanted something from them.” He mumbled, the sound was barely heard.

 

“What did they want from them?” She asked. “Right now it looks like they stole for a good cause, and these are big time criminals, why would they want to do something good?”

 

“I... I'm not sure.” Changmin slouched slightly opening the folder again, maybe he missed something, maybe there was just one thing missing.

 

“You three are getting sneaky, aren't you?” Yunho was laying on a queen sized bed. He munched on cheetos or cheesepuffs- it was hard to tell which of the two. “What are you guys thinking?” He asked with a smirk. He knew something was strange with the way the three were working but he didn't understand why. Are they being more obvious for some reason? “You wanted me to see this didn't you?” Yunho asked stuffing his mouth with the dried cheese powder. But what did you want me to see? The way they were working was different; that was all Yunho knew.
 

 

* Commercial Break *
 

 

 

“Let me walk you home.” Changmin pulled on his coat.

 

“I can walk myself.” Zainab stuffed her pockets with her keys, and other tiny essentials.

 

“A lady shouldn't be walking alone at this time of night.” Changmin took ahold of his black umbrella, but he didn't open it yet.

 

“That's ist.”

 

“No, it's respectful. Sadly in this day and age, a woman can still be hurt if she's seen alone. The day it is safe for all women to walk by themselves, dressed or undressed however they please, in any place and any time, I won't offer to walk her home.” Changmin stood straight, looking at the one he towered over; Changmin was 6'1” after all, and Zainab was 5'3”, so he had to look down to see her.

 

“Since when do you make cavities?” Zainab snorted.

 

“Cavities?” Changmin asked.

 

“Sweet, since when are you sweet?” Her nostrils flared slightly, trying to stop herself from laughing. “Get it, because sweet things make cavities..”

 

“I got it, I'm not dense.” Changmin waited for her to finish putting her coat on. “Let me walk you home.” his last words trailed off as she zipped up the rest of the coat. She paced her way out of the building, stopping at the door. She looked back at Changmin who stopped beside her, to make sure he was following or not. He pulled out that same black umbrella, unveiling it, exposing it to the outdoor air. “Shall we?” He asked, moving the umbrella over her. She nodded once before turning right. Changmin followed, letting her lead him but staying close by her side. It was a strange thing, walking beside a woman, holding an umbrella for her and she leading him. It wasn't a bad feeling, just something he hadn't experienced before. It wasn't like he had never dated before, but usually women would fawn over him. Women would usually make him lead, which he never minded, but it felt as if... they weren't equals.

 

Zainab inhaled. “The air feels good.” she sighed.

 

“It's thick from humidity.” there was no expression in his tone.

 

“You're just a sour puss who likes to ruin the mood.”

 

“No, it's actually really humid.” The two lightly argued back and forth as she continued to lead. The streets were quiet, even passing the bridge that connected West and East Roseport were silent, with minimal cars passing by. There was no need really, to drive between West and East Roseport, but it made for a lovely walk, watching rain drops turn into Rosebay. One, two cars passed that evening, flashing lights before them, and then dimming the scene as it passed by. The only person they had actually seen was a homeless begger, sitting on the sidewalk.

 

“Aish, aish, aish.” the man pulled on the collar of his old dirty jacket. “This town, this town” He repeated. The man looked over at the two. “Ah, at least there's still hope in this ugly town, love fills the air.” He cleared his throat. “I hate this town.”

 

“You and I both.” Changmin stopped in front of the man, and dug into his pocket. Zainab stopped too, until she realized where they were standing. JooJoo, was the only jewelery shop in East Roseport, and Zainab always stopped to glance at the window on her way to work. On the display was a charming chain necklace with a star sapphire star pendent she had her eye on since it first arrived. She always sighed, without courage to ever go in and buy it herself.
 

 

So delicate. She thought, stepping away from the safety of the umbrella to look within the window. She held a hand up to look better inside. Everything was locked away, it had been closed for hours after all. She sighed, no sign of that necklace. She glanced inside again. Wait. Something glittered. She blinked and rubbed her eyes, looking in again, but it was gone. Her stomach twisted, and her pulse accelerated. Her gut was telling her to look inside, but nothing was that out of the ordinary.
Changmin pulled out a few dollars, handing it to the begger. “God bless.” he said.

 

“Yea-” A crashing noise stopped Changmin from continuing. He looked around realizing that Zainab wasn't beside him any longer, but the jeweler's alarm began screeching! He tossed the umbrella to go in after her.

 

“Come out! This is the Police!” Zainab yelled, but no one replied. “I know you're in here!” She ran in, trying to look for any sign of movement.

 

“What gave me away?” A playful voice chuckled slightly.

 

“C-Come out with your hands up, you coward!” She yelled.

 

“But I don't want to be arrested..” The voice sounded like a childish whine. Zainab ran deeper in, trying to follow the voice, but still she couldn't see him. “Hey, you're kinda cute.” The sound of a criminal calling her cute made the anger consume her. He's in the back. She thought, busting in through another door. The room was dark, and her hands shook slightly trying to find the light switch and reach for her gun at the same time.

 

“Zainab!” She heard Changmin calling but she didn't make a sound.

 

“Is that your partner?” The voice cooed. She turned, but he wasn't there. Her breathing was slightly erratic, but she didn't fear him, just feared not seeing him. She wasn't a fan of the unknown. A cold feeling wrapped around her neck, she gasped, and turned. Again, no one was there. “I think this suits you better, around your neck, I mean, not in my bag.” She revealed her gun but had no idea where to point it except in front of her. “You know, I was wrong, you're not cute. You're gorgeous.” The voice's laughter faded with the sound of a an old creak and the rain.

 

Changmin ran in, “What the hell!” He shouted, and flipped the light switch. “What was that?!” He shouted and shouted, but Zainab just stood there stunned. She turned to him, with wide eyes and lips parted. He paused... “What happened?”

 

“I don't really... know..” She answered.

 

Between all the commotion, the begger slowly walked in between all the cops. “What the hell happened? I told you a couple was walking by, how did you not get that?” He pulled the jacket collar.

 

“She didn't see me so there's nothing to worry about.” the voice came from a small ear piece the begger had. “She doesn't know who I am, and I'm pretty sure no one knows who you are.” the playful voice chimed. It had to be the same playful voice from before.

 

“Yoochunnie, I'm hungry, can we get something to eat?”

 

“Junsu, have you not noticed the time? Nothing is open.” The begger removed a tiny microphone from the jacket collar, and tossed the ragged thing into a trashcan.

 

“Jaejoongie is probably still out eating, can't we go wherever he is? I'm hungry!” The voice whined. Junsu was a top a roof, across from the jewelry shop, watching the police scammer around for answers of the robbery. Junsu chuckled to himself, watching the cops frantic pace looking for a clue, looking for him.

 

“Absolutely not.” Yoochun answered. “But that cop guy did give me a few dollars... I'll treat you to some fast food, hmm? Courtesy of Mr. Shim himself.”

 

Junsu laughed. “I like the sound of that.”

 

Jaejoong was drinking from a glass, some sort of cocktail with ice cubes and what seemed like coffee beans. He was still in West Roseport, sitting in front of Mitzy. She had regretted not being able to dress up more, or at least had done something to her hair. Jaejoong noticed her fidgets, tugging on her hair behind her ear and then away from her ear, just to tug on it back and away. He smirked slightly. “Something wrong?” He asked, but she just looked around without an answer. From under the table, she felt a small rub against her shin. She looked up at him. “What's wrong?” He smiled gently.

 

“If I had known you were going to take me to such a fancy place I would have dressed up differently. I would have worn a fancier dress and different shoes, and done something to my hair.” She shrugged back into her seat. She could feel goosebumps crawling throughout her arm from the small rubs. She tried to hold her arms to get them to stop, but it only made her look like she was shrinking within her seat.

 

“You look great the way you are.” But she didn't seem to relax from his words. “I'll tell you what, lets get out of here.” He returned his foot away from her, and stood up. She watched him with a confused face, while he made his way beside her, moving a hand to help her up. “Don't worry, the company I work for has a tab here.” He told her, helping her with her coat on their way out. He helped her from behind, as she button it up she felt his nose in her hair. “I like your hair down, it makes it easier to burry myself in it.” She blushed, wrinkling her nose trying not to smile at his words. Jaejoong opened the umbrella above the two, being as close as they possibly can be. “Those places are rather stuffy aren't they?”

 

“Why did you choose to go to one, if you don't like them?”

 

“I thought I'd show you off a bit.” She slid an arm to wrap around his, leaning her head against his shoulder. “How about some hot ramen? Ramen is best during rainy days.”

 

“It's always raining.”

 

“Ramen?” he asked again.

 

“Ramen sounds lovely.”

 

Zainab couldn't remember much after that, everything was hazy really. She remembered talking to Jin on the phone, his consistent pestering if she was okay or not. She remembered seeing Changmin talking to another officer, and a medic checking her. She couldn't remember much, except shutting her eyes really tight and opening them in her room. She gasped for air, sitting up and coughing.

 

“Relax.” She felt a cool hand on her head. “Relax.” She looked over, covering with her hand. In the dim light of the room, it was Changmin who stood beside her. “Lay back down.” Laying back down put her body at ease. Listening to the voice soothed her muscles. Somewhere between it all she actually closed her eyes and fell into a deep slumber. The next time she opened her eyes, the sun shown from her window.

 

She took a deep inhale. “What happened last night..” She held her throbbing head. Her eyebrows furrowed while her fingers tried to massage her scalp. “My head...”

 

“You're awake.” Zainab removed her hand, looking for the the owner of the voice. Changmin was holding a mug, handing it to her.

 

“Caffeine helps headaches.” It seemed that Changmin had figured out how to use her coffee machine, and found which cabinet hid her mugs.

 

“Thanks...” She grabbed the mug taking a sip. “How did you..?”

 

“Your key was in the coat pocket. Don't worry, all I did was make coffee and read over all our documents again.” Changmin sat on a small chair beside her night stand.

 

“All night?” She asked.

 

“Nothing better to do.” He had taken her home, and stayed all night within her apartment, reading and rereading the same papers, and made coffee to keep himself awake. “Get ready or we will be late for work.” He walked out.

 

Zainab looked at her alarmclock. She was up two hours earlier then usual. Late? She questioned. The truth was Changmin had always arrived to work early- two hours early to be exact. He had called a taxi to take the two instead of walking. 'The less rain the better' was what he said when the taxi had arrived. Zainab liked to be early- but two hours early just seemed exaggerated. She didn't complain though, when she was about to say something about Changmin bad mouthing Roseport she noticed something. Changmin was tired, with dark bags under his eyes, and coffee breath. He typed away at his smartphone, with furrowed brows and tired eyes. Did he always look this tired? It made her wonder if this was his first all-nighter, or if he had gone sleepless for a few days.

 

Not even Coffee && Donuts was open, but Won Jong Jin was already at his desk. Jin was leaning into his hand, hair covering his eyes but it felt as if he was concentrating on something. Changmin was tipping the taxi driver as Zainab sat on Mitzy's desk looking over into Jin's office. “Did he ever leave?” She asked the night guard.

 

“Who, Jong Jin?” the chubby man asked. She nodded. “I don't know.” Changmin walked passed them and into Jin's office. Jin seemed to perk up at the sound of the door opening. Zainab watched the two talk, they both looked tired but that didn't discourage their work conduct.

 

There are few people who want justice as much as Zainab, but maybe Changmin wants it just as bad, maybe even Jong Jin, or maybe they wanted it more. It was a strange thought, someone wanting justice more than Zainab.

 

An hour later, Mitzy had arrived in her running clothes designed for the wet weather. She pulled off the hood and hair tie, while her squeaky shoes made it to the locker room- but she stopped. “Why are you here so early?” She asked Zainab.

 

“Long story... did you hear about the robbery at the jewelers?”

 

“Yeah?” she asked. “I was at a convenience store when I heard.”

 

“Convenience store?” Zainab ask.

 

“Jaejoong took me out, but we ended up ditching the place for convenience store ramen. The radio was on and the whole report happened. I was going to ask Jin about it today, but what does that have anything to do with you being early?”

 

“I watched it happen. The robbery. I was there. And I know who did it- but I don't at the same time.” She began explaining the whole event, and then: “When I woke up today, Shim was in my apartment. Apparently he stayed there the whole night reading over the documents again. I'm sure he has them memorized by now. Did you know he arrived two hours early- every- day.”

 

“What does he do for two hours?” Mitzy asked. “Wait, Shim was in your apartment the whole night? He didn't do anything weird right?”

 

Zainab blushed. “No! Of course not! He better not have! Or I'll punch his pretty teeth out of his mouth!” Her face became tomato red. To change the subject she quickly asked “How did your date go? With Businessman...” She smirked slightly.

 

“Well, we went to this fancy place, but like I said we left it and went to a convenience store instead, the one close by In Heaven. Spicy ramen soup is great sitting outside under one of those tents while it rains. It's rather cozy.” She stopped. “You know, when we arrived though... there were two guys eating there two, one looked rather rugged, and the other was wearing all black... They looked a little startled, or maybe the word is... impatient.. when they saw him...”

 

“Maybe it's because the blue blood Businessman was in there presence with a foxy lady friend.” Zainab snorted. She nudged her friend with her elbow.

 

Mitzy rolled her eyes. “I need a shower.”

 

Like the past few days, Yunho had arrived late, but today he was holding a plastic bag, waving it around like some sort of grand prize. “Changminnie~!” he cheered “I brought your change of underwear and toothbrush!”

 

“What are you doing here so late?!” Changmin yelled out from Jin's office.

 

“I had to get your stuff.” Yunho whined.

 

“You're an hour late! Your room is right next to mine!” Changmin pinched Yunho's arm. He basically meant that it would take Yunho two seconds to get into the other's hotel room, not an hour.

 

“Ow! I'm your elder!” Yunho whined again.

 

Mitzy and Zainab watched the two bicker. It had become almost a routine each morning to see Changmin complain about Yunho's lateness, and whatever excuse Yunho had. Zainab snorted, the amusement of seeing someone who's usually so put together get as frustrated as a child was something to pay to see. Mitzy continued on drying her hair with one of the police department towels, watching how Yunho so easily put Changmin in distress. Changmin snatched the bag and headed to the men's locker room. Yunho skipped over to the girls.

 

“Hey what's that?” Yunho pointed to Zainab's desk.

 

“A desk.” She answered all matter-of-factly.

 

“No, not that. That, right there.” The girls peered over to the desk again, but this time they noticed something: the thing that Yunho was pointing at.

 

Zainab jumped from the desk and grabbed the flat box. She opened it up and inside were a dozen donuts and a pair of dangling earring that looked like the matching set of the chain necklace. She grabbed at her neck realizing what she still had on. The chain necklace with the sapphire star necklace she had wanted, and now the matching earrings in front of her. On the lid of the box was a message.

'These would look much better on you than in my bag.
Smile, beautiful, I'm sure we will meet again'

“Doughnuts!” She yelped, grabbing one and stuffing it in .

 

“I want one.” Yunho whined.

 

Changmin walked out of the office. “What's that?” He asked.

 

“Doughnuts, of course!” Zainab continued on eating.

 

Changmin looked at the box, now realizing the note. “What are you doing?!” He yelled.

 

“Eatin' obviously.”

 

“Evidence!” He yelled taking the box from her.

 

She punched his side, making him jump and release the box. She caught it in mid air. “No one touches my food.” She glared, handing Mitzy a doughnut. Her partner happily took the treat and began eating. When she meant 'no one' it apparently excluded her friend.

 

Changmin held his side. “Are you nuts?! That's evidence, the note, we need to get it checked out and- are those earrings?!”

 

“It's sad that a man can't tell the difference in woman's accessories. Changminnie, how do you expect to keep a girlfriend if you don't know what earrings look like?” Yunho chuckled. His teasing didn't amuse Changmin one bit.

 

“I know what earrings look like! Those are stolen earrings!” Changmin smacked the back of Yunho's head. Yunho pouted from the act though he was clearly not injured.

 

Zainab stopped, and looked at him with a doughnut in . She hung her face for a moment and removed the chain she so deeply wanted. Unfortunately her sense of justice was much greater than her greed. “Here, it seems like no one noticed, but...” She handed it to Changmin. “He put this on me yesterday night.”

 

Changmin looked at the chain. He angrily sighed, and went to the lounge area. Zainab looked puzzled, even when he returned with a handful of paper towels. He placed the doughnuts on the paper towels, took the box, earrings, and chain and left to Jin's office.

 

“That's a shame. It would have looked cute on you.” Yunho nodded.
 

 

* Commercial Break *
 

 

“What were you two doing there, anyway?” Jaejoong crossed his legs.

 

“Us? What were you doing there?” Junsu complained, sitting on the floor messing with a few wires. “Seeing you there gave me a scare!” He put the wires down. “I thought you were going to somewhere all fancy shamancy.”

 

“We decided to celebrate, and Junsu was hungry. We did well.” Yoochun was pouring tea for the three. “Sadly, the police did come before we expected.”

 

“But we got the leo!” Junsu pulled out a giant shining diamond from his backpack. “Looks like Lee Law Firm got exactly what was coming to them. If they thought they weren't going to pay us anyway with this pretty little rock, well, what a surprise will they get today!” He placed the diamond on the coffee table. “Aaaand!” Junsu cheered, pulling out some documents from the black backpack too. “Looks like agent Shim and traitor Jung don't really know much about our whereabouts, they don't really know much of anything really.”

 

Jaejoong grabbed the folder. “Looks like they only know about the things we did in Easton... it's like we fell off the map after U-know got caught.” He skimmed over the papers rapidly. “Oh, they suspect us for the break-in at that officer's place.”

 

“Suspicious won't really get them anywhere right?” Asked Junsu.

 

“It'll make them try to investigate.” Yoochun answered. “But they have no proof.”

 

“Besides,” Jaejoong continued. “according to these documents we might as well be dead.”
Yoochun huffed. “They're the ones who are going to wish they were dead. You made sure there was no way anyone could trace this diamond to us, right?”

 

“Asking to be paid with this diamond was a smart move, no one would suspect cash that never moved, and the fact that they hid this thing at that jewelers... well, they aren't going to go around and say that their diamond was stolen. It'll make the police dig deeper into the whole investigation.” Jaejoong confirmed.

 

“In the end, we exposed those corrupt lawyers for what they really were, and got paid for it, even though we said we'd keep quiet if we were paid.” Junsu spoke all proud of the plan.

 

“You know, you should never talk about a plan after it's complete. It's bad luck. Something wrong always happens. So, from now on, we only talk of the future, not the past.” Yoochun started to walk away. “I'll get some snacks.” he mumbled.

 

Junsu waited for Yoochun to leave before asking “did you tell her?”

 

“No...” Jaejoong trailed off.

 

“If you're going to tell her, you should tell her soon.” Junsu replied.

 

“Whoever thought that three words would be hard to say.” Jaejoong began, “and who would have thought I would be so afraid of a woman.” He chuckled, covering his mouth with his laugh.

 

“Women have that kind of power, I guess.” Junsu tapped his lips, thinking of the girl he had teased the night before at the jeweler's.

 

“Women.” They both sighed.

 

“You smell good” Mitzy jumped at Yunho's words. “Did you change shampoo?”

 

“I only use whatever is in the shower room. Henry is the one who buys all the shampoos and stuff, so he probably gets whatever's cheapest.”

 

“It smells good though,” he sniffed again. “like... lilac and apricot.”

 

Changmin walked back with cellphone in hand. “After the tests are done, someone from the jeweler's is going to come by and pick up the stuff.” He put away his phone, pulled up a chair by Mitzy's desk and sat down. “So what do we have so far?” Changmin crossed his arms, and chewed on his thumbnail unsure of what to say. “Yunho, do you think it was them last night?”

 

“Last night?” Yunho asked, putting his body weight on the back of Mitzy's chair. “What happened last night?” Changmin sighed, but

 

Yunho quickly answered himself “Oh you mean that jewelry thing? What did they steal anyway?”

 

“According to the police report, a few necklaces, earrings, bracelets, but that seems like the only thing.” Changmin fidgeted. He probably drank too much coffee in the past twenty-four hours.

 

Yunho thought for a moment before talking. “That doesn't seem likely, it sounds more like some petty thief really, like they're trying to get you to look some other way rather than at them. They have no reason to steal cheap gold.”

 

“Cheap?” Zainab asked. “Those things aren't cheap.”

 

“Cheap for them. They would go around stealing that when they can get something bigger. It doesn't really make sense. They're big game, you gotta think big when it comes to them. Think about it, they can steal anything they want, why would they get a simple chain and earrings? No, they want something bigger. This seems more like a distraction.” Yunho answered.

 

“Big game.” Changmin started. “Big... I think we need to go pay a visit to Lee Law Firm.”

 

“We have no business in Slimwood, that's not our district.” Zainab sneered. Slimwood and Roseport had a rather tight love-hate relationship- most of all when it comes down to the Police Departments. Although they seem to get along pretty well on the outside, their sports teams and their police department would much rather choke than have anything to do with the other.

 

“You may not, but I do.” Changmin pulled up his sleeve to look at his rolex watch. “First, lets pay another visit to the Mayor and his son.” He pulled down his sleeve. “Lets see what else we can scoop up in their closets.” He stood up.

 

“Hey, wait a minute!” Zainab stood up. “I think you're forgetting something. They just went through something scary, we shouldn't be bothering them right now. Leave them alone.”

 

“I understand your over-protective nature, for whatever reason you may have. I get that you care for your precious 'Mayor' family, but honestly, I'm here for a job, and I'm not stopping because you think the Mayor's son's feelings will get hurt. He's a grown man, and from what I understand a cop too- so he can his own bruises better. I'm here to catch those three men, even if it means I'm risking my own life, do you honestly think I care if someone's mourning a break-in?” He turned away. “I suggest you do the same. Understand that this job isn't for the weak hearted.”

 

“Listen here, having a heart is different than having a weak heart.” Zainab placed herself in front of Changmin stopping him from his way to the coat closet. “Being a good person is different from being a person, and being humane is different from being human. Just because I care about how someone feels does not make me a 'weak' person.”

 

“She's right. It makes her strong. When you have something to risk... you're stronger than someone who has nothing to lose.” Another one of Mitzy's Ghandi moments.

 

“Something to lose, hmm...” Yunho removed himself from Mitzy's personal space. “I think we should visit Lee Law Firm.” Yunho felt Zainab's glare on him. “We'll be gentle, of course. You know what's odd? How all these things seemed to have happened one after another. First was the break in, then the lawyers being prosecuted, and then the jewelry shop robbery. It all happened on the same day. Isn't that at all suspicious? What if not two of the thing have to do with Lee Law Firm but all three?”

 

“So you do think they are all related?” Changmin turned to face the other man.

 

“Either that or it's a distraction.” Yunho replied.

 

“We don't have a warrant.” Mitzy reminded everyone. They all stopped. Even if they did want to intrude into the any of those buildings, by law they couldn't.

 

“What if we don't have to?” Yunho smirked. “What if we're just invited in?” He was looking over at Jin's office. Inside Henry was placing some dry cleaning on a high railing for it to hang. It was a fancy suit within the plastic dry cleaning bag.

 

“Invited to go through the Mayor's things? Yeah right.” Zainab snapped.

 

“When is the Mayor's wife's party?” Yunho asked.

 

The girls quickly pulled out their phones to check the calender. “Today.” Zainab's eyes widened.

 

“Taemin invited us, didn't he? How about we take a break and play dress up. I have a suit I've been dying to try on.” Yunho stretched. “Oh! I know, Minnie and Zizi can go together, and I'll go with Mitzy!” He looked over, but all he could see is messy hair (as she wasn't facing him).

 

“Why do I have to go with you?” She mumbled.

 

“Oh come on, I'll look especially hot for you!” He spoke in a cutesy tone.

 

“Why do I have to go with him.” Zainab sneered.

 

“Well it'll look bad if we don't go with dates right?” Yunho smiled.

 

“I bet she'd judgmental, the Mayor's wife. It might be a good idea to go with dates.” Changmin fixed his tie. “She probably one of those fancy exotic food, and pink bathrooms kind of person.” Both Zainab and Changmin flinched. Yunho couldn't help but snicker at the two. “The party is in six hours.” He looked at his large face rolex, if it was currently eleven am, then the time the party was held at five, a reasonable time for a house party. “How many hours do you girls need to get ready?”

 

“What are you implying?” Zainab's tone wasn't exactly pleasant.

 

“Two hours.” Mitzy answered, standing up, and walking away. She pulled out her phone outside of the Police Department building, dialed a number, then held the phone up to her head. She waited for three rings when a voice answered.

 

“Hello?”

 

“I didn't see you this morning.” She spoke softly.

 

“I'm sorry, I had to take care of something urgently.” By the tone of his voice, he seemed rather tired. “Is something wrong?”

 

“I wanted to hear your voice.” she sighed.

 

There was a moment of silence, but it wasn't an awkward silence. It was more like a moment to breathe while knowing the other still exists. “I miss you too.”

 

“There's going to be this party at the Mayor's house,” she ran her fingers through her hair brushing it all to one side. She wished he was there to feel his breath dancing in her hair. “I have to go as Yunho's date.”

 

“U-know?”

 

“Yes. If you don't want me too...”

 

“If it's your job I shouldn't stop you, should I? Just don't do... something I wouldn't.” He chuckled softly. “Later on I'll teach that thief that he shouldn't put his hands on something that's mine.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Yes, just call me if you're uncomfortable, I'll go pick you up. I'm not too far away... but what are you going to do at the Mayor's house?”

 

“Just going to look around for evidence. The quote unquote boss man thinks that we may find something at the Mayor's house, or you know, anything around him.” She twirled the ends of her hair around her finger.

 

“Well then, I guess I don't have a choice. Take care of yourself. I'll see you soon?”

 

“I'd like that.”

 

“Me too. I have to go, take care dear.” He hung up. Dear, he called me 'dear'. She clenched on to her phone for a moment, holding her breath.

 

 

Yunho was standing beside Zainab, slipping on to their coats. “Who is she talking to? Her boyfriend, toy, guy?”

 

“Who, Businessman? Oh yeah, she's like obsessed with him.” She rolled her eyes. “Don't get me wrong, I love seeing her happy, but she's obsessed.”

 

“Is that a bad thing?”

 

“Well, I don't know the guy. All I know is that he's some business dude that comes and goes whenever he pleases, and she's usually all upset when he's not around... but I personally think he is just uses her.” Zainab's voice became softer with each word, worrying over her best friend.

 

“Oh...” Yunho glanced at the door, the glass was crystal clear so he could see her clutching to her smartphone. “I see.” He muttered.

 

“You're not the type to dress up.” Changmin spoke while knocking on Jin's office door.

 

“I hate ties.” Jong Jin groaned as Henry helped him slip into his suit jacket. “It's like a collar.”

 

“You're going to the party thing?” Changmin asked. “Did you even sleep last night? You should rest. You were sleeping when I arrived today weren't you?”

 

“Of course I'm going. I'm a fan of free food, and the police department needs some donations. It's all for the publicity, besides, my rival should be there.” Jong Jin laughed. “I can't afford to not go.” Henry looked worryingly at his boss. It seemed like he agreed with Changmin, and Jin shouldn't be going out in his tired condition. There was no stopping Jin though, Won Jong Jin cracked his neck, and continued on preparing himself for the evening house party.

 

On the other side of town a phone rang, a pale hand grabbed it and answered, “hello?”

 

“Yoochun, it's Jaejoong, it seems like the cops will be seeing the Mayor today.”

 

“Oh really?” Yoochun answered.

 

“I hope this won't be a problem.”

 


“On the contrary, this will be fun.” Yoochun hung up.
 

 

* Credits Roll *