The Moment I Knew

Dara's XOXO
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

What do you do when the one who means the most to you, is that one who didn't show?

 

Dara was coming to and fro, she was no where near calm as she walked through the living room at home. Was the food ready? Was Thunder dressed? Where was Durami? Today wasn’t just a regular Thursday for her. Because today is the Thursday she has been waiting for all year, it was Dara’s birthday.

 

"Ack! It's burning!" Dara screams as she flips the galbi on the hot plate. She was never the best cook, since she lets Durami and her mother do all the kitchen duties, but Dara wanted to help out with the food today.

 

“Sandara, why don’t you get dressed already, hm? Your guests are coming any minute and you’re still on your pajamas.” Dara’s mom approaches the one-day Chef. She pushes the birthday girl aside, grabbing the thong that Dara was holding.

 

“But mom..” Dara worries.

 

“Everything’s all set, Dara-yah. Why are you so worried.. They’re your friends, they wouldn’t get mad if the meat is a little burnt because of our master chef~” Her mom teases her, and then insists in letting her get ready for the party at home.

 

This Thursday, Dara has invited a few of her closest friends in the industry for a small dinner and get together at home at Apgujeong.

 

Dara immediately runs the flight of stairs and locks the door instinctively. She takes a fast bath and wears the red Moschino dress that her good friend and designer, Jeremy, had specially sent over to Korea for her birthday, pairing it with the Adidas shoes that Jeremy had designed as well.  She combs her hair, and then pats light make up on her face. The window adjacent to the bathroom is slightly open, the cold air from the outside seeping in. Despite the cold air, the sun was shining bright today. Dara wishes that everyone she had invited could come, since the weather is better than yesterday. She had only invited ten people? Or was it eleven? Since her home could only accommodate a few. There were the 2NE1 girls, three of their managers, Hye Sun, Ilwoo, Seungri, Donghae, and surprisingly, Chanyeol. So they were eleven.

 

Dara grabbed her phone by the bedroom dresser, and a message from Chanyeol lights up from the mobile. Dara’s eyes lit up with her phone. Chanyeol hasn’t messaged her the whole day, making Dara wonder if he forgot about today.

 

To: Dara Noona ^_^

From: Chanyeollie~

 

“I’m a bit late noona, but I’m coming, okay? ^_^ Hwaiting~!”

 

Dara pouts, Chanyeol hasn’t even greeted her a happy birthday. Maybe he doesn’t know? Maybe he forgot about it? Maybe he has a surprise for me?  Yah Chanyeol, how could you forget noona’s birthday?!

 

On the other side of Seoul, Chanyeol was just about to leave for Apgujeong. He was having trouble leaving when all s were seated at the living room. He couldn’t get out of the dormitory without getting caught by a member. Chanyeol calls on Kris for help, knowing the duizhang always had the last say in the dorm (except when the managers get ahead).

 

They were inside Kris and Tao’s shared room when Chanyeol had told the leader of his little dilemma.

 

“So you see, Dara noona invited me to hang out with her today.” Chanyeol starts to explain.

 

“Today? Wow~ Seriously? Could you give my present to her?” Kris suddenly smiles widely.

 

“Present? Why do you have a gift?” Chanyeol asks, confused. But Kris doesn’t answer the other guy’s question; instead, he pulls out a beige headband with blue and clear stones attached to its head, with it a red ribbon is wrapped around the headband.

 

Kris hands the accessory to Chanyeol, “Tell her I said happy birthday, too. I already sent her a message but she must have not seen it yet.” Kris shrugs.

 

Chanyeol’s brows furrow, “What day is it today?” He suddenly asks. Kris answers him blatantly, “November 12.”

 

“And Dara noona’s birthday.” Kris adds, with a grin on his face.

 

“I thought her birthday was on the twenty seve—“

 

“That’s your birthday, captain stupid.”

 

“What?” Chanyeol pulls out his phone, and immediately goes to the Calendar application. He opens the November tab and he sees that today was definitely Dara’s birthday. An hour had passed since his alarm had even set off, how could he mic things up now? How stupid was he to mistake his birthday for Dara’s?

 

“She invited me for today but I didn’t even know it was because of her birthday. And all day I haven’t even sent her a greeting. Stupid stupid!!” Chanyeol removed his cap, combing his hair in frustration, and then returns it back.

 

“Duizhang, I’m a jerk, hm?” Chanyeol concludes by himself, he was disgusted with himself, he would be doomed, Chanyeol could already picture what would happen, Dara would delete his phone number, perhaps block him, too.

 

“I bet she didn’t even realize it.” Kris chuckles, teasing him the more.

 

But Kris was wrong, so wrong because Dara is obviously bothered by it; she doesn't just realize, she actually has a hunch. It has been roughly forty minutes since everyone she invited have arrived (only Chanyeol was missing now). Everyone was already enjoying the food prepared and endless talks were being conducted in the living room care of Bommie and Seungri. Ilwoo and Donghae have been kicking it off quite nicely, a new friendship waiting to bloom anytime (hopefully they don't bring up anything embarrassing from the past) -- Dara had known both guys years ago, Ilwoo from her acting stint and Donghae as a special friend back then, but both men have only been formally introduced today. The managers were playing with the karaoke microphone (mostly Jjangmae), while Minzy, Thunder and CL watched everyone have fun as they talked by the couch. With all the fun, Dara is still uneasy of the fact that Chanyeol hasn't left a clue to where he was, and Dara was too timid to message him. She doesn't want to sound so demanding, so she doesn't call him either.

 

Dara is clutching on her phone tightly, waiting for any sign from Chanyeol. She was anxiously waiting for him or any sign if he was still coming or not. Dinner has been served, luckily everyone liked her cooking, despite it being unseasoned and whatnot, and although the guests had praised her cooking, Dara was apprehensive still. Dara blew her cake's candle and they had a piece of the sweet before they returned to the conversations.

 

“Why are you so affected by it, unnie?” Dara flinches of the sudden whisper of Durami, she had sat at the arm lounge of the couch Dara was in.

 

"What?" Dara asks louder, getting the attention of 2NE1's leader seated by Durami's side.

 

"Is Chanyeol coming?" Chaerin mouths to Dara.

 

The birthday girl shrugs, “I don’t know!! I just think he even forgot my birthday and everyone already messaged me their greetings, even Luhan and Sehun did, but he didn't." Dara tells both girls.

 

"But I thought he already told you he's coming?" Durami asks.

 

“He said he's coming late." Dara shows her phone to the girls.

 

Chaerin smiles assuring to her, "If he says he's on his way now, maybe he is just planning something ahead that's why he's late. So keep your head up. Don't stress over him too much." She tells Dara, hoping she is right about what she just told her.

 

"But why are you so affected by him coming or not, unnie?" Durami probes again.

 

"Do you even need to ask that, Durami? Of course Chanyeollie is special~"

 

"Yah! What do you mean special? Huk! If he doesn't want to come I have no choice." Dara mumbles grumpily.

 

The party goes on, and Dara tries to push the thought of Chanyeol at the back of her head. She doesn't need drama on her special day, right? WAnd Chanyeol wasn't obligated to come, right? She had friends with her so she had all the right to enjoy today, so why must she worry? Who was Chanyeol that he could change her mood to one thing to another?

 

Yea, those thoughts ran across Dara's mind. But then a thought surfaces every now and then as well, "What if something happened to Chanyeol?" Dara feels a pitting feeling in her stomach just by the thought of it.

 

As the hours passed, the guests got tired and the time ran. Each guest eventually leave one by one, with the exception of the 2NE1 girls who would immediately go to the dorm right after. They still had work early in the morning, and the managers refused to let them stay the night at Dara's home despite the birthday girl's incessant request. Dara bid everyone goodbye, and promises that she'd use their gifts well.

 

She thanks everyone for coming to the small get together although it was a bit far from their places. Dara sincerely thanks Ilwoo and Donghae, who were now inseparable. Both guys have made efforts to come despite their busy schedules, and she was thankful for that (unlike one person who didn't arrive). And although Seungri wanted to stay much longer (because he badly wanted to talk to Chanyeol when he found out he was coming), he couldn't wait for the EXO member any longer.

 

So in the end, Dara is seated together with Thunder and Durami in the dining table, munching on the chocolate crepe cake that Seungri had brought for the party.

 

"Happy birthday noona, you're now three decades old." Thunder teases her.

 

"You don't have to remind me." Dara rolls her eyes, and then flicks a finger-full of icing to Thunder's face.

 

Durami immediately gives Thunder a clean tissue to clean his fave, "Did you like how your birthday turned out, unnie?" Durami asks, facing her older sister.

 

"Could have been better if all the guests actually came." Thunder butts in before Dara could even answer.

 

Dara glares at her little brother, changing the topic, "Do you want to get drinks? Unnie's treat!"

 

Maybe she's just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter