New Addition

Being an SM Trainee | Editing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

S.M. Building (CEO's Office)
Friday 5:30p.m. 
"Would you please sign here?" Mr Lee Soo Man turned the file, pointed at the thin line at the bottom of the page and slid it towards you. 

You were overwhelmed and could barely contain your feelings. You never thought you would be able to pass all three rounds of the auditions and never in your wildest dreams would you come to the point where you sign a contract with the company. You tried your best to suppress your excitement and signed above the thin line. Upon closing the file, you could feel a slow flush creeping up your face. You slowly edged your head up, immediately locking eyes with the man who signed you, the man who would turn your dreams into reality. He propped up his elbows on the table and rested his chin on top of his delicately interlocked fingers. 

"My secretary will run through all the procedures and your schedules with you." Smiling, he gestured at the door just moments before his secretary knocked. You marvelled at her efficiency.

"Come in please." his voice deep and firm, and his smile faded from his face, becoming a mask of indifference.

The door opened and there stood a refined-looking lady with voluminous golden locks tidied with a pearl headband and a bright smile. You stood up from the seat, staggering a little due to your nerves. Mr Lee held out his hand and gave you a handshake. 

"Pleased to have a new addition to the company." 

You did a 90 degree bow, bade goodbye and flashed a smile before taking your leave. You couldn't believe you signed a contract with one of the Big 3 - SM Entertainment. 

S.M. Building (Advertising Department)
Friday 5:38p.m.
You took a tour around the company's building with Mr Lee's secretary, Miss Park. She patiently explained everything to you throughout the whole tour. From the advertising levels to the cafeteria, everything was explained in detail. The interior of the building was decorated tastefully in grey and silver. Minimalistic. Your style. After a quick walkthrough of your schedule, it was already 6 in the evening. 

"Please proceed to the dance studio, the other trainees and the dance instructor are waiting for you." She hastily pushed open the glass door to the lift lobby and you scurried after her.

You had no idea why was she suddenly in a rush, perhaps she wanted to end her day at work early, you never asked. 

S.M. Building (Dance Studio 3)
Friday 6:03p.m.
You stepped into the brightly lit room. 3 walls were entirely covered with mirrors and the last wall was painted in the image of the blue sky and white clouds. Very calming. At each corner of the room, a speaker was suspended from the ceiling. You gaped around like a tourist in a foreign land and found 7 other girls standing together, as well as a man whom you supposed was your dance instructor. You introduced yourself and did the same bow as of before. The girls greeted you in unison and smiled brightly - all but for one. You swore you saw her rolling her eyes but you shrugged off the thought that she might dislike you, you might be over thinking. 

"Please treat her nicely." Miss Park spoke gently, but you could hear the slight impatience in her voice, and spun around. She left the room after giving a reassuring tap on your left shoulder. 

You stood there, rooted to the ground, for what seemed like eternity. The atmosphere was so awkward. 

"Min Ki, please do join us." The man said, gesturing to the crowd in front of me. You could feel him trying to break the silence.

"Oh Saem, why not let's have an 'ice breaking' activity? I would love to know more about our new friend here!" A girl with her hair up in a messy bun suggested. 

You turned to look at her, silently thanking her. She seemed to get your message too because she tilted her head slightly and gave a nod, smiling. 

S.M. Building (Lift Lobby)
Friday 8:12p.m.
You got to know that girl's name with the messy bun. Her name is Nayeon. You spent the past 2 hours breaking the ice with the girls before having dinner. Through the activities, you got to know all 7 female trainees, more or less. However, you were still convinced that there is one of them who didn't like you - Nara. 

S.M. Building (Dance Studio 3)
Friday 9.27p.m.
The last hour in the dance studio was spent stretching. How you wish you took dance classes earlier, you were so stiff! Nevertheless, you were glad your voice made up for your small inability to dance. During debrief, all of you were told you would be expecting a surprise guest the next day at practice. You were hoping it's not EXO. You were a crazy fan of them before being accepted into the company. You were afraid that you would have a mental breakdown if you ever get to see them in real life so close up. They were your inspiration.

Especially...

Van (On the way to the Dormitory)
Friday 9.44 p.m. 
You sat with Fiona in the van on the way back to the dorm, partly because you wanted to know more about your new roommate. It is a first, living under the same roof with other people, the other female trainees, you admitted you were a little nervous. Nonetheless, you believe it will turn out well. Fiona was a shade taller than you, with very good complexion and sharp features. She seems really approachable even though she's 2 years older than you.

"So... Who do you think will drop by tomorrow?" You tried to initiate a conversation. 

"I think it will be EXO sunbaenim. Since their promotions have ended, they must have some free time!" Fiona spoke excitedly with a slight American accent. (You later found out she is a mix-blood.)

You continued a half-hearted conversation with her. You couldn't help but wonder if EXO would turn up the next day. They were your motivation to study, your inspiration and encouragement to pursue your dreams. You would love to thank them but you doubt you can even look at anyone of them in the eye, let alone thanking them. Before you knew it, you’ve reached your destination. 

Dormitory (Doorstep of your room) 
Friday 10.02p.m. 
Fiona opened the door to the room painted in baby pink. You noticed your luggage was already in the room, though you didn't have the slightest idea how it got there. Inching into the room, your eyes scanned your new lodging. First thing that came into sight was an ivory coloured table, long and wide enough for 2 to study, situated right in front of the frosted window. Curtains painted in a darker shade of pink suspended from the curtain pelmet. Adjacent to the table was a double decker bed, the top bunk filled with plushies and the bottom clean. Parallel to the beds was a white built-in closet, beautifully decorated with clusters of sakura stickers. Running your fingers past the stickers, you took one last glance of the entire room. Thinking of the time you would be spending here, your lips curved into a grin. 

"Start unpacking! Do you need help?" Fiona gave you an eye smile. 

You flinched a little at her high pitched voice. Walking towards you luggage, you nodded and knelt down, unbuckling your luggage. 

Dormitory (Dining Table)

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter