What Is Love

SeoExo Anthologies

Main Couple: Seohyun & Baekhyun

Cameos: Chanyeol, D.O, Chen

Counted Words: 2,155


Baekhyun is a freshman student of Seoul National University. Along with his friends Chanyeol, Kyungsoo and Jongdae, they were all taking Music as their major just because they wanted to be together in college and also, due to their interest in music. In fact, the four of them don't really know what they really want in life and their goals are. However, unlike them, Baekhyun has never been in any relationships before. As a result, he is always teased for being a gay and a coward. Baekhyun would just shrug it off because he knows that the right person will come for him at the right time.

He didn't expect love to come in his ways until one day, fate has brought him the lady who will teach him what love is.

Baekhyun and his friends were hanging out in the canteen.

"Dude, look at that lady. She's so hot." Chanyeol softly whispered to them. The three looked at the person he was pointing.

"Oh right, dude. She's so y." Kyungsoo instantly agreed.

The three continuously drooled over the lady except Baekhyun.

"You guys are so erted." He murmured intentionally.

"At least, we're not gay like you." Jongdae exclaimed back.

Baekhyun just rolled his eyes upon hearing him. Chanyeol, his best friend among them, then turned his head to him. "Dude, could you just admit it to us? Don't worry. We'll still accept you." 

"Admit what?" Baekhyun scoffed.

"That you are gay." Chanyeol replied.

"What the hell? Do you really think that I'm gay just because I am not showing any interest to any girls?!" Baekhyun irked.

"No! Don't think of it that way. We're just wondering that in your age. Well, in fact you're the eldest among us but you still haven't experienced what it is to be in a relationship." Chanyeol explained.

Baekhyun sighed. He's so tired of explaining the same thing to them. "I'm not like those people who always rush to love. The right person will come at the right time."

"Until when are you planning to wait? Sometimes, you need to move in order to find the right one for you." Kyungsoo joined into the conversation.

"Don't worry, dude. I know what I am doing." Baekhyun assured them, just to stop them from asking him more.

"Yeah, and he is waiting for the right guy for him." Jongdae, the troll of the group, teased. Earning him a smack from Baekhyun on his nape.

"Ouch! That hurts, dude." Jongdae complained.

"Serves you right." Baekhyun scoffed at him.

"Let's go now. Our class will soon start." Chanyeol told them.

As the four friends were walking,

"Dude, let's go to the rest room first." Jongdae told them.

"Yeah, I need to see if I look good too." Kyungsoo followed.

"We must look good to the girls in our campus." Chanyeol then followed.

Baekhyun mentally facepalmed his self upon the childish or playboy attitude of his friends. "Sometimes, I wonder how did I become friends with these jerks." He laughed at the thought of it.

"Are you going with us or just laugh alone?" Jongdae asked.

"I'd rather laugh alone here. Go now." Baekhyun mocked them. The three left as Baekhyun waited for them on the corridor. 

After five minutes of waiting, "What the heck are they doing in the rest room that they're taking it so long?!" Baekhyun childishly complained to his self. As he waited for few more minutes,  the number of students walking on the hallway began increasing due to the start of classes. Baekhyun patiently waited for his friends, who was still in the rest room, until one person caught his attention.

"She's so beautiful." He thought as every thing went in slow motion. It's like a scene in a drama where everyone walks slowly while the main character is just walking normally. As he started at her, he felt like the whole day has already passed. However,

"Dude, are you okay?" Kyungsoo woke him up from his daydream.

Baekhyun went blank. He didn't even recognize his friends were already standing in front of him.

Chanyeol softly slapped his shoulder as he asked, "Hey, what's up with you?" Baekhyun finally got back into his senses.

"Oh, it's nothing." He replied. "Wait, what took you so long from using the rest room?" He complained.

"You know, dude, we need to look handsome and presentable to the ladies here." Jongdae answered.

"Let's go now, we might be late." Baekhyun told them.

As they walked into the room, he saw the same lady again sitting on the back row alone.

"I must be so lucky she'll be sitting beside me." He sheepishly thought as he smiled.

The three saw him smile suddenly until they looked at the view he was looking. They began looking at each other with a look of suspiciousness toward Baekhyun. Soon after, the professor came in to their room.

"Okay class, as you can see, we have a new student here in our class. But before you get confused, I would like to announce that she's already a sophomore student. It just so happen that she's a transferee so she had to take some first year classes." The professor then look at the lady. "Ms. Seo, would you please introduce yourself to the class?" 

The lady gracefully stood up from her seat and immediately flashed a smile to the class. "Good morning everyone. I am Seo Joohyun. It's nice to meet you all. I hope we can all get along."

All the boys in the room were in awe upon hearing her.  Some even started to whisper to one another. "She's a goddess."

"Thank you, Ms. Seo. I'm pretty sure you've got lots of fanboys here in our class." The professor joked.

Joohyun just shyly chuckled. As she slowly sat down, she noticed the boy beside her looking at her.

She flashed him a smile and said, "Hi. Nice meeting you. What's your name?"

The boy became flustered and began stuttering, "H-Hi, my name is Byun Baekhyun. Nice meeting you too."

The class ended after an hour.

"Baekhyun-ssi, it was nice meeting you again. I'll see you later." Joohyun cheerfully told him.

Baekhyun just shyly nodded at her. As Joohyun left, his friends began pestering him.

"You're so lucky, dude." Jongdae, who seemed to be attracted to Joohyun, exclaimed.

Baekhyun didn't even answer back. Instead, he was blushing.

"Oh, dude. You are blushing! You are blushing!" Kyungsoo excitedly said.

"Could it be that he is already in love?" Jongdae followed the teasing.

"Baekhyun is in love! Baekhyun is in love!" The duo began chanting loudly.

Baekhyun hurriedly covered the mouth of the two goofs. "You two, shut up!" He commanded them.

"But Baekhyun, tell us, do you like her?" Chanyeol seriously asked him. Baekhyun became quiet.

"Do I like her already?" He questioned his self. The feeling he felt when he saw her was new to him. He couldn't describe it but it felt so magical.

*

"Ugh! Why is this assignment so hard?" Kyungsoo told as he scratched his head.

The four were in the library doing their homework, all frowning due to the difficulty of the work given by their professor.

"Let's just take a break for now. Maybe we'll figure this one out later." Chanyeol suggested.

"That's a good idea. I'm feeling hungry too." Jongdae quickly agreed to the idea.

"Nah, I'm okay here. You can go if you like. I'll be staying here." Baekhyun refused.

"You sure?" Chanyeol asked for the last time.

"Yes. I'm positive." Baekhyun replied without looking at them.

The three left as Baekhyun continued to focus on doing his homework.

"I'll figure you out. You'll see." Baekhyun talked as if the notebook hears him.

As he was continuously scanning the book, he didn't notice that there was someone behind him already.

"Hi, Baekhyun-ssi." The person greeted. Baekhyun felt shivers upon hearing the calm voice.

"Oh, hi. Joohyun noona-deul. Have a seat." He shyly greeted her.

"What are you doing?" She asked as she slowly sat down beside him.

"Just some homeworks, noona-deul." Baekhyun shyly replied. He was embarassed because he doesn't want her to know he was having hard time to do it. But his face shows it all.

"Do you need some help?" Joohyun asked in a worried tone.

Baekhyun quickly refused her, "No, noona-deul. I can do this."

"I insist." Joohyun firmly said as she grabbed his notes.

Joohyun looked into his notes and quickly searched for the answers. As she was writing down the answers, Baekhyun stared at her with full of admiration. 

"She's not only good-looking, she also got the heart and the brain. Just perfect for my ideal type." Baekhyun smiled at the thought of it.

"Here. It's done." Joohyun proudly handed him his notes back. "If you need my help, don't be shy to ask me. I'll be glad to help you."

As the two were talking, both were oblivious that they were already watched by his friends.

"Let's take a photo of them and show it to Baekhyun later." Jongdae suggested.

Kyungsoo quickly took his phone and took a photo of them. The three widely grinned at the image.

"I need to go now, Baekhyun-ssi. It was nice talking to you. I'll see you later." Joohyun told him.

"Bye noona-deul. Thanks a lot." Baekhyun replied happily.

Joohyun stood up and left. "She's just amazing. From now on, I'll study harder. I'll do my best to excel in school." He promised to his self. He busied his self by reviewing his notes.

"Wow dude. Did a miracle just happen?" Jongdae began trolling as they approached him.

"This is actually my first time seeing you reading seriously." Kyungsoo followed.

Baekhyun then proudly boasted his homework to them. "I'm done with them already."

The three were shocked. "How did you do this?" Chanyeol asked.

"Let's just say an angel was sent down from heaven and helped me get this done." He hinted them.

Kyungsoo then brought out his phone and said, "Is this the angel that you're talking about?" He smirked.

Baekhyun was shock. "You saw us?" He wondered.

"Should we say yes?" Jongdae trolled again.

"Yeah, dude. We've been here since awhile ago. We were watching you two from afar. Such a cute couple." Chanyeol also followed the teasing.

Baekhyun just facepalmed his self. "These people....." He murmured.

Since then, Baekhyun and Joohyun became friends. At the same time, Baekhyun also began to excel in his classes. Even his friends noticed his evident change, thinking Joohyun made a huge influence on their friend. Everytime Joohyun and Baekhyun were together, lots of boys were looking and jealous of Baekhyun. Even his friends thought he is lucky for being close with a goddess.

*

The more they became closer, the more Baekhyun fell harder for her. It is no longer a secret to his friends that he admires Joohyun. In fact, it's so obvious that he likes Joohyun. Sometimes, he wonders why Joohyun can't seem to notice his admiration for her.

"This is it. I'll confess to her now." Baekhyun encouraged his self.

"Are you ready?" Chanyeol asked.

"Yes, I think I am." Baekhyun bravely said as he took a deep breath.

"Good luck, dude." Kyungsoo cheered him up.

This is the moment he's been waiting for. He prepared the flowers and chocolate he has for her.

"Now, go." Jongdae signalled him.

He slowly walked his way to her. There she was, sitting on a bench with her hair down, as she silently focused on the book she was reading. That's when Baekhyun realize how perfect she is. Not even perfect could describe her. She's beyond perfection.

"Joohyun-noona, I would like to confess you something...." He was mentally practicing his words. But even before he could appraoch her. Joohyun already saw him with the flowers and chocolates in his hands.

"Baekhyun? What are those?" She innocently asked. 

"She caught me." He silently cursed his self. But this is the moment. It's now or never. He stood straight, breath deeply and started to speak.

"Noona, I like you." Baekhyun frankly confessed to her, which made the latter drop her jaw.

"W-What?" Joohyun began to stutter.

"From the first time I saw you, noona. I've felt something magical that I've never felt before. Noona, I never knew what love is before. But I think I knew it when you came into my life. Noona, this is the first time I'm gonna say this words and I'm only saying it to you. Noona, I love you."

The lady's eyes began to water as she listens to his words.

"Noona, please accept me. I'll love you in the best way I can love you." Baekhyun pleaded.

"Yes, Baekhyun. Yes." She finally gave in.

Baekhyun smiled as tears began to form in his eyes. He, then, hugged her. "Noona, thank you for accepting me. And thank you for teaching me how to love."


Author's note: My second one-shot is up. And before you wonder, this is Baekhyun's POV only. This is about him feeling love for the first time and inspired by EXO's song, "What is Love" So did you like it? ^^ I hope you do because I worked hard for this. I must admit it, it's so hard for me to write stories without conflicts.

Thank you for those who liked the SeoHo one-shot. I appreciate all the comments and subsciptions. <3

-iloveseohyun